Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ambitious project - model of Irrawaddy paddler "China" in 1 : 48 startet  (Read 42629 times)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
She looks good on the water Thomas :clap

How fast is fast?......walking speed?  :whistle .... [say 3km/hour in real scale/time?...how slow can you get down to?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

Hi Derek,

today, on a windy day, I did a further trip. On the bank of the pond I made a measurment distance of 20 m. With full steam (3,6) bar) the distance was passed in 15 seconds. This gives a speed of about 4,6 km/h. Of course, the pressure of 3,6 bar can`t be hold, it goes down to 2,2 bar with full steam.
The trip shows, that the speed will be adequate to the scale. The paddlewhells are rather sensitive against touching stones, aquatic plants and so one. One time a wheel touched the shore and blocked. As I wrote yesterday, nearly all ponds in this summer are more or less filled with water - weed, what gives some complications to our field of interest.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

for comparison: The original "China"

Offline Hankwilliams

Hi all,

1. first test run last saturday - water weedblocked the wheels

2. After sucessful trips "China" became part of my "museum"

Thomas

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Thomas.....

For Christmas, I will ask all Paddleduck members  :gathering to chip in a few pennies to by you a pair of Wellington Boots

Just before I go, you mentioned that the steam regulator for this build was an old [obsolete?] Regner unit that you had in your spares box :crash for years

How well does this function?......what is the lowest paddle shaft speed that you can achieve? and can you achieve this breakaway speed without an almighty burst then throttle back?

Derek
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:53:39 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Hankwilliams

Derek,

yes, this can happen in the heat of the moment...the boots lay forgotten at home...But it was a warm summerday, no bad follows are to expect!

The old Regner steam regulator seems not quite tight, even when it is closed, with hight pressure the engine runs very slowly (may be 15 - 20 rpm).
This also is the lowest paddle shaft speed, the boat moves very slowly. The new Regner engine with teflon pistons and pistonslides is very tight - when the engine is cold, it takes some time until the condensed water got out and the engine can turn. So, it`s no disadvantage, when in breaks the engine is keeping hot with slow moving.

Thomas

Offline kno3

Re: Ambitious project - model of Irrawaddy paddler "China" in 1 : 48 startet
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2017, 06:31:19 PM »
It looks beautiful on the water. Have you done a video of it as well?
By the way, I notice a very nice Seekadett on your shelf. Could you show it to us in some close-up pictures please?

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 06:56:34 PM »
No paddlesteamers, but i hope, even interesting. Aluminium kit of "Seekadett" by Marten & Howes from 1993, scale 1 : 24.
Bigger "Seekadett" hull made of the same house in 1 : 12 with home made superstructure of 2004.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
Some further pictures of the models.

Offline kno3

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2017, 07:04:53 PM »
The Seekadett must be  one of the most beautyful steamboats. How long is the Aluminium one?

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »
Indeed a interesting beautiful model. :)

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
The "Seekadett" is one of the smallest steamboats, her lenght is 650 mm, deplacement ca 1,1 kg.

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

Last sunday in Black forest with local ship modellers. "China" steam drifting. The trips of the model take some pains because of her lenght and weight. But the pictures of the ship are majestic.

Offline andy

• Model of paddle steamer DIESSEN 1:20
Hi Thomas,

the 5.6 kg for the engine including Boiler is looking sporty! Do not forget the water in the boiler!
The construction of the hull is very solid according to the photos. There was some avoidable weight, but now it is inside the hull, fitted forever.
When adapting the engine, try to avoid all noot necessary weights, especially in the base the prefabricated engines have too much metal. And the boilers, you can buy, the mantle usually is very thick, mine never have more than 1,5mm. If you need a biolier design with less weights I can offer my drawings of a 1 tube and a 2 tube model boiler, but machined by professional workshops with CAM and made of inox steel. They are the model boilers of my paddle steamer DIESSEN and the screw driven steamer SCHONDORF.

Kind regards
Andreas

Offline Hankwilliams

Thanks Andreas. The weight of the model was nearly exact of the expectations and calculations. The material of my brass boilers is only 1 mm, it`s absolutely strong enought for pressure between 3 and 4 bar. The Regner 12/36 engine is reliably and the base of the newer engines are made of alu, so this one is far lighter than the old 12/36 ones with iron base. Nevertheless it`s difficult, to start the cold engine - the piston slides and pistons are made of teflon, what gives great steam tightness, but takes some time to thrust out the condensing water. Probably it would be better, to overheat the steam to 170 - 180 C.

For my last project, the Rhone Porteur "OCEAN", with 323 lenght, I now got a Chinese twin cylinder engine with Stephenson gear. I will alter this engine for a laying one with gear reduction of 2 : 1. Deplacement of the very narrow and flat hull will only little more than 8 kg. Hull can be divided in 3 pieces for transport.

Many regards

Thomas