Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Pontoon Sternwheeler  (Read 3209 times)

paddlek

Pontoon Sternwheeler
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »
I am looking to build a trailerable sternwheeler using aluminum pontoons that are usually used for "party barges".  I would like to build something that looks like a typical 1800's riverboat that plied the American rivers and looks like the old South.

I can't seem to locate any plans for a boat like this, nor pictures of anything that has been built in the past.

Could someone head me in the right direction?

Offline Mike Smith

Re: Pontoon Sternwheeler
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 02:26:57 PM »
Try contacting Gary Morton of the American Sternwheel Association. He built a sternwheeler very similar to what you have described. Details of the boat use to be on their web site but I can't locate the article any more. The ASA web site is below.

info@americansternwheel.org

Regards

Mike

paddlek

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 01:23:24 AM »
Thanks Mike

Offline Bierjunge

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:31:43 PM »
I would suggest to try to get the reprint of the Sternwheeler Catalog by The Marine Iron Works of Chicago, see http://www.steamlaunch.com/books/marine.html

This lovely little book contains the drawings of a number of small to medium sized sternwheelers. The smallest of the are two 45' and 48' cabin launches and a 50' river steamer, a quite simple workboat. In my opinion, these simple and utilitarian boats look far more authentic than simply trying to decorate a party barge with some style elements of "floating wedding cake" Mississippi steamers.

Moritz

Offline Mike Smith

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
G'day Paddlek,

I know it has been nearly a year since you asked your question on building a trailerable pontoon sternwheeler and I don't know if you are still interested but by chance I came across the web site of the bloke from the American Sternwheel Association who built a similar type of boat. The web site is:

http://users.wirefire.com/gemort/vern%20p1.htm