Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Blockade Running  (Read 1546 times)

Ptarmigan

Blockade Running
« on: May 06, 2014, 04:17:39 AM »
Hi , I am a new to this forum. My main interest is in  Blockade Runners built in Britain during the American Civil War. I have compiled a list of most of the steam  blockade runners that took part in the trade and am collecting histories and making pen and ink drawings of ships using contemporary descriptions and pictorial evidence . I started this project over 20 years ago but didn't get very far  with my research then  but  now with the advent of the internet and more free time on my hands I have made great inroads and have managed to draw pictures of the majority of the ships taking part . If there is anyone else interested in this subject I would be delighted to get in touch with them and compare notes .

Offline Sandy

Re: Blockade Running
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:43:44 AM »
There was recently a series of programmes on BBC Scotland television about Clyde built ships.

They featured the Cutty Sark, the Giraffe, the McKay-Bennett and HMS Hood.

The Giraffe became the Robert E Lee and a blockade runner.

You may be able to source it online somewhere.

All the best

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »
Hi there and nice to see you here.

I have built a 1:76 scale model of 'Presto' and there are some photos on this site. Don has also built one but in a larger scale and his photos are listed here too and, I think, a movie of her. There is also a Russian member who has built something similar and again photos/movies are posted here.

I am interested in the subject of your research in general terms but don't have any major research of my own to reciprocate.

I originally found Paddleducks whilst looking for information on paddlers in the Austrian and Italian navies at Lissa, 1866. At least one of the Austrian avisos was Glasgow built. I wonder if you have any information in this area??

Cheers....Bernie
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:53:26 PM by Spankbucket »

Offline Brian Gates

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 06:07:10 AM »
According to P.N. Thomas's database "Steamships 1835-1875 in Contemporary Records", the Glasgow Built Independence (1857) entered the Italian navy in 1860 as the Garibaldi.

As the order of battle (according to Wikipedia) included a screw frigate Garibaldi (ex Borbone, 1860), could the Independence have reverted to its original name as the Indipendenza?

All the best
Brian Gates
Gillingham

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
Thanks for that.

As the unification of Italy didn't take place until 1861 I think the ship referred to was sold to the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies ( ruled by the Bourbons/Borbonne's).

When unification eventually took place the Bourbon navy was integrated in to the new Italian navy alongside the Piemontese (and other smaller state) navies.

So it seems very likely that the Independenza was renamed Garibaldi (The instrument of the unification) then?

I am sure someone out there can comment on this. Meanwhile I'll need to look it up in my reference books.

The paddler Kaiserin Elizabeth in the Austrian fleet was built in Glasgow according to one of the books I have.

As we are well off subject we should probably start another thread?