Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Engel Chaperon  (Read 6027 times)

Offline ir3

Re: Engel Chaperon
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
Hi PD'ers,

With most of the main cabin parts complete it is time for a dry fit. :goodnews The notching is quite accurate and needed very little adjusting to get all the pieces to fit. I still need to put the simulated deck planking on the inner deck which is the boiler room.The cladding for the sides was a bit difficult to interpret as to which tabs/slots needed cladding and which ones didn't. :thinking Places where there is some tabs or slots showing can be easily covered by remaining scraps. There is plenty of room so steam plant installation should not be a problem. Once all the fit issues are corrected, I will be doing some painting. I do not wish to paint once all the structures are together.

Until next time,

Iran

Offline ir3

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 05:09:12 AM »
Hi PD'ers,

Not much progress other than gluing up the main cabin structure and thinking about some of the issues installing the steam plant. The more I look into the various ways to access the steam plant once the model is built the more I am coming to the conclusion that it may not happen. With so much structure connected to the first and second deck cabins, it appears the only way into the hull will be through to the top deck by removing the wheelhouse and another structure on the top deck. It is doable but getting access to the fuel valve and burner to light the boiler will be very difficult. I guess these models are just not well suited for steam plant installation. I had the same issues with the Model Slipways Admiralty Tug. In order to deal with the steam plant, several structures had to be removed which meant that rigging had to be removable.

It would be nice to hear from those that have installed steam engines in completely enclosed paddlers to see how some of these problems were solved. If I am reduced to going electric then I suppose a smoke generator and some sound generators would be installed but there is no fun in that.

Iran

Offline ir3

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
Hi PD'ers,

I have been assured from Engel that access to the steam plant will be from the upper deck that the pilot house is on. :) :) So the steam plant installation continues. :hammer The motor has been removed from the gearbox and replaced with a pinion gear and axle. The axle is the same length as the output shaft on the Y2DR. The only question is how to couple the steam engine to the shaft. I am leaning toward pulleys and O-Rings. In that way if the paddle wheel hangs up, there will be some slip.  :thinking.

Now to continue construction.

Until next time,

Iran