Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: another model of the PS Alexander Arbuthnot  (Read 17485 times)

Offline Tomas Krejci

• when the ship .. so only on the hill
Re: another model of the PS Alexander Arbuthnot
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2016, 08:02:08 PM »
Hi Keith,
 as I wrote,  I glued  on the board of plywood  another layer of spruce beams 4x2mm (deck planks), on the edge of the deck there  was spruce beams 10x2mm, I wet it and bend in the template.
Sealing between deck beams  I simply imitated this way - I painted  sides of  wooden strips with black ink. I did not mind that I also many times  tinted upper side. After coating with epoxy varnish then deck looked like the deck of the old ship.
http://tomarack.rajce.idnes.cz/Ned_kelly_V/#sejmout0028.jpg - A.A. hull

Greetings,
 Tom
Steam....GO!

Offline echidna

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:29 PM »
Tom, at first I intend to power my boat with an electric motor. But I thought it would be fun to play around with steam as well. Since your boat is about the same size as mine, and you were able to propel it with your "toy" steam engine, I should be able to do the same.

Eight minutes duration is a bit short, but perhaps enough to satisfy my desire to "fool around" with steam.

I think that François was suggesting a scheme of inter-changeable power modules, so that the boat could more easily be changed from electric to steam, and back again.

François also asked about the possibility of constructing a steam engine. Many years ago I made a "toy style" single cylinder oscillating steam engine. I didn't have a lathe. The flywheel came from the dial mechanism of an old radio. I still have this engine. I shall post a picture of it in a later post. Such an engine would be unsuitable for my boat model. It would need to have 2 cylinders or more to be self-starting. Oscillating steam engines can be reversed using a valve that swaps around the steam pipes, and some commercial toy engines have this.

Here are some pictures of my model in it's present state. The paddle boxes are complete. After some detail sanding, I will be ready to coat the entire outside of the hull (and the underside of the deck, and the inside of the paddle boxes) with Z-Poxy. When I did the inside of the hull, I applied 2 coats (un-thinned). The resulting coating was a bit thicker than I want for the outside. I have found a video on the internet, posted by the AMA, which shows the use of Z-Poxy on model aircraft. I need to review it, but I remember that the first coat was thinned 50% with denatured alcohol. This allowed the resin to more easily soak in to the wood.

Offline echidna

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2016, 08:13:22 PM »
François, I used the "bread and butter" method of construction because I thought it would be easy. It actually took me a long time.

There are still piles of wood shavings in the workshop from all of the shaping that I had to do after the slices of timber were glued together.

I have a book on model boat construction that Mrs. Echidna gave me for a birthday present, but I also found the article written by Brett S. Hallett of Golden Square quite valuable. Below is a link to this article. It was working at the time that I posted this, but of course it could stop working at any time.

http://web.aanet.com.au/dragoncity/A_Murray_River_paddle_Boat.pdf

Best wishes,
Echidna

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
Hello Keith,
              very nicely built. Also booklet is very inspiring. It is a pity that I did not have anything like this when building my model.
When I was researching material on Australian steamboats,I became acquainted also at a distance with  Captain Frank Tucker.He has an interesting website that I can recommend.
   www.paddleboatnews.com       as he wrote. so he steered nearly all known steamers on the Murray River . He even wrote an interesting book about these ( (and for me in the central Europe very "exotic") ships .=> 
> The Murray rivers Paddle Steamers and Bullockies <
At home I have some next notes on Australian steamboats. If you're interested, please write me at my email address.
Greetings
Tom
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:41:53 AM by Tomas Krejci »
Steam....GO!

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2016, 10:34:58 PM »
François asked about the slanted paddles on paddle wheels wheels.
My original post is here
http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6113.0

Paddle wheels made for my model Lulonga river steamer according to this model are in my opinion very convenient type such as quarterwheeler is . I am very pleased with them, with their large weight anymore. Makes me problems longitudinal balance of the model , as I wrote here a few times.
(Short hull and  too heavy wheel (home made ))
Tom
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:10:47 AM by Tomas Krejci »
Steam....GO!

Offline Delaunay

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
 :) Hello ;

Construction interesting method of "bread and butter" or "slice of bread / butter" in frogs, but this arrangement does not cause not there any risk of major leaks, with touts these little pieces?

In the same building style I board found http://francoisemmanuel.canalblog.com/archives/construction_d_un_francois_emmanuel_jo

uet/index.html linkSlices fonts the surface of the hull but cored. But the amount of wood is important.

In time, I saw a shell mounting vertical tench. The slices parallel to the axis of the boat and hollowed in their environments so that we ais a small thickness, the same principle but the slice to 90 °. The it is possible to use the inside of the central cutting slices, to those from the outside.

But this construction can only be used on the hull "round" not that of the ship that, or that practiced seems to me.

For wood chips, excelling for departure in a wood stove with a beautiful flame.

Tomas; For inclined wheels, you commands individually and the turn should be easy, right?

But do not you miss it power in reverse on the boat size (I do not open your link on the size)?

Offline Tomas Krejci

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 06:01:22 AM »
Ahoy !
              I use in my opinion improved tank steering when using V-tail mixer.
3canal  -throttle 1.canal  - Ailerons . So I can drive a boat with one joystick (right)
I have HK-T6 A  V2     2,4 GHz. the output of the mixer is at 2 ESC for  2 motors, please look here -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS6F8y60BAU&nohtml5=False

Inclined paddles    improve maneuverability of the model . when you look at the direction in which force is applied of the blades!!
I think it's not worth to deal the effectiveness of such a small model. Regarding the speed - I think the speed of model corresponds to scale - it does not speed model.
For steamers with the paddle wheels amidships, this inclination of paddles does not make sense. The flow of water from paddle wheels is equally directed along the ship's side.
I drive the rudder on Canal 4 (left stick), but it is practically equally ineffective, in the wake between wheels.

Greetings
Tom
P.S.
 Please - open picture " in new window" , or download the image to your PC and then open it. Why I can not  open  picture  after click here, I do not know.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:30:59 AM by Tomas Krejci »
Steam....GO!

Offline Delaunay

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »
 :) Hello ;

The beginner boat with wheels that I am, well understood the explanations.

And I understand better the functioning of the two wheels on your boat as well as forward.

I remain to read it, for later inspired men.  ;)
cordially

François

Offline echidna

« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »
My A.A. model is still far from finished, but I have been operating it on the water to test out the drive and steering systems.

I have implemented the "V-tail mixer" arrangement, as suggested by Tomas. I am using 2 Chinese geared motors that I bought on the internet. They are quite small, operate on 12V, and the 4mm output shaft runs at 300 rpm. When the boat is stationary, the differential steering can make it rotate on the spot.

Mr rudder is operated by chains that run over the deck (like the real boat). It is operated by a standard servo, which has had a lengthened arm attached. I find that the rudder is very effective, and the boat turns at least as well as other model boats that I own (which have screw propulsion). Of course, the boat must be moving forward for the rudder to cause it to turn. If I had known how well the rudder would work, I would not have bothered to install differential steering.

A lot of people told me that the rudder would not be very effective. Perhaps it has to do with the amount of deflection. Maybe some models don't have enough rudder deflection. The real A.A.'s rudder can swing through an arc of 180 degrees. That is why the width of the deck at the stern is twice the length of the rudder. The pulleys that the steering chains pass around must be located the length of the rudder each side of the rudder pivot pin.

My rudder doesn't quite swing through the full 180 degrees. If it did, the servo would stall when the rudder reached the end of it's travel.

I will post some new pictures soon.