Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Another returner  (Read 1394 times)

Offline david13eve

Another returner
« on: December 03, 2013, 07:32:04 AM »
Hello Paddleducks,
MY name is David and I live in Shropshire, England.

I signed up to Paddleducks some time ago but didn't get on well with the site, hope I do better this time!

My interest in Paddle Steamers stems from yearly family outings round the Goodwin Sands from Margate pier on PS Golden Eagle as a young boy. One of my saddest memories comes from when the Eagle was replaced by the MV Royal Sovereign (I believe still trading somewhere in S America) and I was lifted up to look though the small window into Sovereign's engine room -NOTHING TO SEE!- the resulting tantrum probably spoilt the day for everyone, we never went again.

I've build an electric powered Glasgow for my Grandson, now in Canada.

I'm now working on a scratch built model of PS Trillion, the 101 year old 'walk/walk' Toronto Island side-wheeler ferry to be powered by Edgar Westbury engines scaled down to 2/3s giving 1/2" bore & 1" stroke.

If any one has any experience of these engines I would be grateful for any advice. In particular information on the type of steam generator and firing. I plan (if I ever get that far) to order a boiler from a commercial supplier; model boiler making does attract me.

The keel is at present 40", giving an ample engine compartment of 19", and 21" for the boiler and gas tank, I beginning to wonder if that is a bit tight and I ought to stretch it 6"? I don't really want to go over 4'.

Any advice, comments greatly appreciated.

Wonderful display at this years open day.

David

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Another returner
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
Hi PD's ...& welcome back David.....I have been here since day dot  :whistle...but don't remember you....but then again could be my grey matter.... :oops

I sincerely hope you get a reception that we offer to all members both new & old from our group :gathering

With respect to a boiler selection....a very good starting point is Maccsteam Boilers in the UK........you will fine them in our Links page under steam engines

There is a article in the determination or calculation of boiler requirements ...very interesting reading .....Derek :beer

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?action=links;sa=visit&id=96
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline david13eve

Re: Another returner
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 05:22:53 AM »
Thank you Derek, will certainly look up Mcsteam boilers  David