Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Another newbie...  (Read 1731 times)

Ron Church

Another newbie...
« on: October 04, 2013, 06:30:49 AM »
Hello to everyone out there - my name is Ron, and I live near Norwich, Norfolk. I have recently entered a belated retirement, and have taken the opportunity to dig my Glasgow and Talisman from the loft. The Glasgow is steam powered by a Wilesco twin, gas fired, and almost complete. The Talisman is being scratch-built, apart from a glass-fibre hull. Both models were started in 1995, and banished to the loft following a house move from the Isle of Man. I've not decided on power for Talisman yet - I'm wondering if some sort of scaled down diesel-electric rig would be possible! With any luck, I should be able to get Glasgow launched for trials sometime soon - possibly on the old boating lake at Southwold, assuming it's not weeded up too badly. A request - does anybody have drawings or a sketch of the davits as would have been fitted to the Talisman, or know where I could find them? 

Ron

Offline djcf

Re: Another newbie...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 05:38:16 AM »
Hi Ron,
Welcome to paddleducks, a lot of great knowledge and info on this site. It would be great to see some pics of your models, I'm quite interested in the Talisman.
If your model depicts her post WW2 then she had "welin" style davits as below. If its pre WW2 the she had radial davits fitted, quite different altogether - I have made a couple of sets of radial davits for a model using photos as a guide
regards
Clark

Ron Church

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:15:46 AM »
Thanks, Clark,

I was going post-war, so the drawing will be great. Having said in my last post that I was newly retired, I have just been summoned back to work some more, so work on Talisman will slow down again! As regards the photos, I will see what I can do - it may take some time!

Regards,

Ron

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »
just a suggestion but it may be helpful to look at some of the waverley builds which have this type of davit - such as this one :- http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3503.150
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Ron Church

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:17:16 AM »
That is a great help - thanks for pointing it out - there is quite a bit more in the Waverley build that will be helpful....

Ron

Oldsmokey

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:49 AM »
Hi Ron
Welcome to Paddleducks.