Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Vulcan / Kylemore  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Mercury

• Gold Subscriber
Re: Vulcan / Kylemore
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 11:01:50 PM »
I have now managed to get the boat partially painted. I have gone for the Williamson colours so she is now definitely Kylemore. I've completed the basic red, black, white. I need to complete the brown lining between the black and the white and the deck edge. After that I'm not sure. She had a white water line from the late 1920's, a blue mourning line around the hull I think in 1924 (when her owner John Williamson died) and gained 2 gold lines when Williamson Buchannan was taken over by the LMS railway in 1935 (the ventilators changed from brown to silver then as well). I think I will add the white water line and quite fancy adding the blue line as well but it will depend on finding some lining tape and confirming that both existed at the same time. (I admit I may not build perfect models but I quite like being an anorak sometimes!!!)

As you can see I've started marking out the decks on birch veneer - cheating I know.

Anyway I'm reasonably happy the way she is coming out although she looks quite short - something I wasn't expecting.

Offline djcf

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 01:26:00 AM »
Hi Richard,
Looking good with the hull painted, she (her hull) looked quite distinctive in photos, you have caught her really well.

Trimline do several blues in their lining range...light, royal and dark I think. I have seen a pic of Queen Empress with the blue line and white water line, but cant find a clear one of Kylemore at the moment. Will let you know if I find any.

I know what you mean about hull length...I thought that also with my MoL, but then I supose 200' was at the smaller end of Clyde steamer sizes. My Fair Maid hull looks huge beside it.

Keep the pics coming, enjoying your progress
regards
Clark

PS just found an undated pic of Kylemore with one line round the hull at sponson belting level, don't know what colour, and no white waterline.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 01:35:26 AM by djcf »

Offline Talisman

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »
Hi Richard,
Your build is looking good!

I have an unanswered question which maybe you can help with. On the Paddle box there is a coat of arms (beloning to a family which i can't remember the name of .. it was about two years ago when i last researched this)

If you can find a pic of that detail i'd be very gratefull if you'd share the answer.
Regards,
Kim

Offline Mercury

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 05:35:19 PM »
Just detailing the paddlebox and now looking for the coat of arms mentioned by Kim above. Does anyone have a good picture of the Kylemore's paddle box?

Offline djcf

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
Hi Richard,
I had a search several years ago (through my own book collection), and didn't turn up any clear close-up pictures at that time unfortunately.
Clark
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:28:13 PM by djcf »

Offline Mercury

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »
Having been working on the model over the past few weeks I've become increasingly unhappy with the humbrol white paint which has already yellowed. Finish isn't great either. Add in the fact that I've just be asked to go back to the UK so I can get proper spray paints and I've decided to strip the hull back.

I've also decided to improve the overall quality of the build. There are so many excellent builds on this site that I've decided to try and push the standard a bit. As part of this I will build to the plans I have so will go with the Vulcan - recently found photo attached.

Any views on the correct colour gray for G&SWR. It appears to be somewhere between french grey and a lavander grey like Union Castle. Not sure of the exact shade.

Richard

Offline djcf

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
Hi Richard,
It will be interesting to see her come together as the Vulcan...the GSWR livery was/is eye catching. The colour is described as "french grey" and likened to the Union Castle shade in several books.
The 1898 Juno build, by Martyn, in the construction section, looks really good and he may be able give you advice re the correct shade to use.
I mostly use "RailMatch" paints for brush painting, the quality is really good in my opinion - I only use humbrol now for things like decks where a smooth even finish is not that important.
 In fact I had to use a fifteen year old tin of humbrol no.7 for my MoL funnel as the new one I bought wasn't even the same shade anymore >:(
Good luck with the colour hunting- she will look the part in GSWR livery
Clark

Offline Mercury

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 10:40:48 PM »
Finally after a long hiatus I've decided to update. Since the last post I stripped down the hull to remove the old humbrol colours and prepare to paint the ship as owned by G&SWR rather than Williamson Buchanan. I repositioned the portholes on the forward lounge and used brass inserts to get a better circle. I plan to machine perspex inserts for the glass. I have made up the paddle wheels, etched brass from Kim at Clyde Model Boats. The sponsons and paddle boxes have also been replaced - I'm much happier with the new versions which are permanently fixed to the hull. I have also added the outside handrails, portholes and eyebrows.

Recently I've started to make up deck fittings, beginning from aft. There are a lot of deck seats to make - in the photo you can see my first efforts but I think I will replace the seat legs with brass rod - at least for the seats around the deck edge as this appears more correct from photographs of similar steamers. My plans are to continue to make fittings working from aft along the deck. I've yet to make a final choice on how to paint the hull but would prefer to use car aerosols if I can find he correct colours. Failing this I'll look to use Railmatch or similar.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »
Hi Richard,
Good to see you back!
All the best,
Kim

Offline Mercury

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2015, 03:42:48 PM »
Thanks Kim. What latest magic are you conjuring up at Clyde Model Boats?