Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Finally decided on a first build  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Markds

• Mark.schmidt21@yahoo.com
Finally decided on a first build
« on: October 14, 2012, 05:28:23 PM »
Hello all! After looking at buildable models for a month of plan after plan, I have decided on one called COP-R-LOY Detrioter Tugboat. http://www.taubmansonline.com/ and the plans are $25.00 UDS I believe. Being a newbie I have a range of questions but I suppose the place to start is...., once you begin a first build, what mathematical formulas should I be paying attention to? And the reason I ask is because I am also building a Bogstandard steam engine that I plan to use in my first build. The original was diesel but I cant help but think there must be bouyancy tests to do, calculations for placement and amount of counterweights, etc..  And thank you in advance!  :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 05:34:10 PM by Markds »
Mark Schmidt :-)

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: Finally decided on a first build
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
Hi PD's...& Mark....I have responded to your PM of today re scale/displacement.....

I have not used taubmansonline.com/ plans   but would expect them to detail actual displacement & therefore you could calculate scale displacement etc

Could I suggest that before you cement your plans for the hull & engine you read a little more  :breakcomp

Every mathematical relationship between actual and scale is considered, however physic's & nature are not necessarily scaleable  :nono

One of those old stern wheelers probably had a wheel rotation of <50 RPM ...so dependent on scale? could be ~~200 RPM ~ in scale 
One of the "bogstandard oscillators" [as beautiful and well designed as they are] would have a shaft speed of say 2000 RPM :oops

Have you considered how you will achieve this speed reduction and transfer this to the push/pull linear motion of a stern wheeler?  :shhh

Anyway....do some research in our archives........ :coffee
You will find some possibilities... then ask away

Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Markds

• Mark.schmidt21@yahoo.com
Re: Finally decided on a first build
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
Thank you Derek. I plan to modify the Bogstandard for horizontal configuration and revolutions compensated by reduction gear. Since I do not plan to make a miniature diesel engine the main consideration is counterweighting and balance no matter what engine type is being used. Any scale will have an offset dependent on the materials used however, as a newbie, of course I am going to read everything I can get my hands on in my offtime. The reason I would not make a miniature diesel engine is because I know nothing about any diesel. And I stress 'nothing'. Thank you for the advice. I will get to reading!
Mark Schmidt :-)