Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: newbie manchester uk  (Read 2173 times)

slidevalve

newbie manchester uk
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:10:39 AM »
Hi All,
I'm Geoff a retired P.E. teacher.
I bought a Myford lathe about 3 years ago and now have a well equipped w/shop which also includes a small sensitive pillar drill and a milling capability.
Attracted to paddleducks by kno3 post and pics [12/11/09] of a twin oscillating steam engine called Miranda. Beautiful engine, would love to make one or something similar.
regards geoff     manchester uk

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: newbie manchester uk
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:31:30 PM »
Paddlesteamer Engineering teacher?  What school runs such a wonderful course?

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

I'm...a retired P.E. teacher...

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
Welcome aboard, ignore that pesky Australian! I believe plans for the Miranda engine are still available through Model Boats magazine or their My Hobby Store division but if you are not able to find them I do have rather poor copies of both the plans and the accompaning article on how do build it. Happy to copy them again and post or to scan and email them but as I said they are not 100%. There are lots of plans for other types of engines available too on the net including some in the Downloads section of this forum. As an alternative you can buy various kits of materials with plans and instructions on how to build engines. I have some listed in the Traders section and there are other makes available too. It is great to see a new member interested in steam power, once you have one running you will always want to move onward and upward to more sophisticated set ups. Best of luck, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:10:22 AM »
Not to worry: I am not a modeller; I cover full-size prototype.  I am a retired teacher of mathematics (including senior secondary applied, ie engineering maths), from a background of tertiary applie and statistics.  I do read the Paddleducks engineering posts, but just for information.  I also meet a lot of precision engineers in the miniature railway hobby (on the three gauges on which passengers may ride).

As I have seen, without having to contribute, you will get a lot of friendly assistance here, and everyone will love to watch your progress.  It is a very fraternal group, which is why the banter of Kiwi Ian fits quite happily.  When I can convince you to come to the antipodes, do visit both nations.  NZ has more than the wonderful PS Waimarie: a few other paddleboats which are diesel, and the much-loved TSS Earnslaw (two triple-expansion engines), turning 100 in October.  There is also some stunning scenery, and now a steady trail of tourists making a pilgrimage to the filming sites of 'Lord of the rings'.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
And Roderick will be welcomed with open arms when next he chooses to visit again, especially if he is spending Aussie dollars! So of course would any other of our Paddleducks friends. Cheers, Ian
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Oldsmokey

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:22:41 PM »
Hi slidevalve
Welcome to Paddleducks, and enjoy your retirement.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:12:13 AM »
Welcome indeed.  :beer  oh retirement, just another 27 years till i am 67  :whistle
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

slidevalve

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 05:43:47 AM »
Hi all.
Thank you very much for all your kind comments.
Got to say I'm really impressed by many of the models I've seen in the photo files. I really admire the skill and patience which goes into producing models of such a high standard.
Roderick thanks for your offer regarding "Miranda". I may well take you up on that if I proceed with that engine.
Still considering other options. I also really like the Stuart models "pintail" and "puffin", beautiful engines. I would assume as these are sold by stuart as ready made working models that plans for these are unavailable?
I am first and foremost a designer. Nothing gives me more satisfaction than realising my own designs. Probably the way forward for me is to research various oscillators, analyse the various options and proceed from there.
Regards to all geoff w   manchester uk

slidevalve

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:47:04 AM »
Oops, sorry Ian, it was you who made the offer not Roderick
geoff w manchester uk

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:23:15 PM »
No problem. There are many designs of steam engines available in books, magazines and on the net, some great, some not so good. I would suggest you first of all decide what sort of boat you are interested in and at what size. Steam plants are easier to work on when they are not crowded in to a small hull so something in the 1M to 1.2M length would be my suggestion. Once you have decided on a boat then search out a list of engines and post the list here. I am sure you will get some good reccomendations from the experienced steam people who frequent this forum. Of course if you just want to do an engine for the experience then you will be spoiled for choice. I recently visited a customer who has 8 engines dotted around his lounge, all hooked up to a small air compressor and controllable from beside his chair. He just likes to sit and watch them run. Me, I want to see them on  the water. I have attached a photo of my Lady Sarah launch which has cabins copied off the Miranda plans. Cheers, Ian.