Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: PV Incredible (Murray River, Australia)  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Roderick Smith

PV Incredible (Murray River, Australia)
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:08:30 PM »
This cute small vessel is for sale (owner's health).  It is at Dick Bromhead's marina at Mannum, but I can find no online listing from any broker, and no detail.

A snippet from an old post:
...I have been fortunate to meet many talented, enthusiastic people who have also built their own wheelers; some of the boats I have been privileged to ride. One such gentleman, Jon Arnold, turned out to be a wealth of knowledge.  He built PV Incredible.  The drive train is an International 414 tractor diesel engine, gearbox and diff; he has used the independent braking system to the best advantage. When turning the boat on full lock she would come around 360deg back on to her original course in about 3.5 lengths of the boat (boat 14 m) with your foot on the portside brake the boat would come  around in its own length, magic for a tight mooring...

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 04:50:07 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline marinemole

Re: PV Incredible (Murray River, Australia)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 11:45:31 PM »
Very Roland Emett! hope it finds a good home.

Andy
Lobby your MP.....make Moles a protected species.

Offline victor vector

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:37 AM »
Thank you for the information  Roderick , that is a cute little boat!

stephenf10

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
It's mentioned in the October issue of Frank Tucker's Paddleboat News http://www.slimcoder.com/pbn/ looking a lot smarter than it does now.

Stephen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:35:16 AM by stephenf10 »

Offline Excelsior

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
Just bumping this post...

Anyone heard any more about the Incredible?

Roderick, do you have any idea of dimensions, etc?  She's a smallish looking boat, but I can't tell exactly how big. I'm assuming something in the 40-50 ft range, but the proportions of the superstructure make it hard to tell.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
I'll have to search for other angles.  From the earlier message: 14 m.
It is ready to run.
My advice to the dinner enthusiasts: metal hull and diesel are vital.
Hull of Gemma, lots of work, and you don't have either the technical skill, or the time, but the right size and style.
Incomplete Cameron of Lochiel: money.  I liked it a lot.  When I visited, the first piece of interior fitout was the bar.  The whole day lounge has beautiful wooden panelling.
Complete: William Randell, on the market.  Wooden hull and steam.  I have met a prospective purchaser, who seems to be the right type, in the right area.  Even the vendor is recommending removing the steam plant.

I had forgotten about Incredible, but it is certainly in the right scale.  There are three other micros in SA which could be available for the right offer; I have never seen them moving, or even seen where they are moored.  One is Eliza Ann, which I photographed at Mannum.

I had eyed of Julie Fay, but it has new owners, and they are in the process of completing an overhaul and new fitout.

We saw the renamed Ronald Henry.  IIRC, Murrundi was up for sale, and may still be available.

PV Gemma before the fire: <www.flickr.com/photos/karenallingham/392723781/in/photostream>

This reminds me of the two small ones at Goolwa (one red, one yellow).  One was sold recently.
PV Alice and PV Gnat
See <www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3927.msg20763#msg20763>, reply 6.

Also for sale, a vessel which is related: MV Isabel, built with a flat hull.  0428 241 389

More later.

Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:46:24 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Excelsior

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
I've done a little more research. Apparently the sale of the Incredible was more of a consideration than genuine intent. It seems that she's not on the market at the moment.

I think the Cameron of Lochiel is out for me too.  The Gemma might be a possibility for me, but I'll have to ask some advice considering it any further.  I'm in the process of enquiring about the Eclipse. I've sent an initial message to the owner, but don't think it's been received yet. I'm also asking some advice around the amount of work, etc. She's been sitting in the open for 10 years with no paint on her, so there's a possibility that the metal is a bit thin. I really don't know enough to make an assessment, so I'll need to rely on the advice of others.

At this stage the Eclipse is looking the most likely, but failing that I'm thinking the next best option is to build new. Maybe 45'x12'. Think of the Mayflower when she was a single deck fishing boat.

The following pics were taken of the Eclipse in October '06

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 09:54:14 PM »
I have watched the progress on Sundowner hull into operating Struggler: not as fast as Michael may have thought when starting, but relatively fast when compared with most other do-it-yourself projects.  Michael has the skills, the equipment and the proximity.
Eclipse could be a good call, but will take a lot of money and work.
Gemma would be less money, and less work, but still not trivial.
I have nine photos of Gemma, most of which were taken by Michael.
Here are three before the fire, and three soon after.
It could be less work than Eclipse.
It may not be for sale, but it seems that nothing has happened since the fire.

If going for new and larger, the obvious move is to buy a Cook hull.

Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:05:45 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »
Eclipse sounds better by the minute, with a quick and uninformed estimate of $200 000 for completion.
This photo from Michael shows work in progress around May 2012 to restore Gemma.  It may well not be on the market.
Even so, fronting with an open wallet could still be the right move.
Remember: you also need a mooring.

Post edit: drawings from Michael when he was considering purchase.  He would brought the wheelhouse front back a bit to increase the deck space.
It is a miniature Florence Annie: the main beds are down in the hull, under the raised wheelhouse floor.

Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:11:26 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Excelsior

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 06:44:48 PM »
I was planning on going to echuca this weekend, but will be up there early October anyway - so thought I'd put it off until then.

Was that supposed to be $200k, or $20k?  Two hundred thousand seems fairly high.

Offline Mike Smith

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Another boat you may wish to consider is the unfinished project boat built by Dennis Carroll on his property at Heathcote Vic. The boat was advertised a little while ago on the Murrayriver.com.au website for I think $45k, Dennis I believe also built the Lady Rae (you can see the resemblance in both boats). If you were interested you would need to contact Dennis yourself. The attached photos are from the original advertisement.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 08:16:32 PM »
That is an interesting set.  AFAIK the hull was for sale as a hull a few years ago; clearly nobody bought it.
I would worry about it being wooden, and buying without a water test.  What is the stability like?
Incomplete could mean no engine or drive train yet.
I haven't seen Lady Rae with its new owner, only waiting for water at Torrumbarry to voyage through.

Here is another interesting boat, about which I know nothing and which I have never seen.  Michael knows a lot more, and the photo is his.
Metal hull but steam engine: still impractical.  However, reading between the lines, this may well be new member Bob's boat.  We have all judged by his avatar, and jumped to a wrong conclusion.
It looks like a miniature of Indian paddleboats which I have photographed, and has a lot in common with Adventurous.
See SWPV Wyuna and SWPV Bhadra in replies 5 & 6 in thread
<www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2675.msg10825#msg10825>

There is no hint that it is on the market for the right offer.  We may yet be able to assemble a fleet of shallow-draft small boats in Echuca for a December adventure.

Roderick B Smith

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:28:59 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline ljhall

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:30:44 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Just a bit of info on the un-named Sternwheeler moored near Echuca, she is called the Ivy - May, and was built about 2000/01 near Bendigo, but was only launched about 2005/06.
I have been on board this one but only after the conversion from steam power & stern wheel propulsion to diesel & side paddles.
The boat is owned by Steve Thorpe, and it's fitted out for compact / basic living.
The former configuration of stern wheel & steam engine wasn't very effective or practical, she was too heavy at the stern and needed heavy drums & barrels up front to stabilise her.
The steam engine & boiler was unique, from memory the boiler was a vertical one and the steam engine may have come from some sort of pump.
To cut a long story short, there were too many hassles and the boat is now powered by a small Mercedes Diesel neatly tucked away down in the hull.
I don't have any dimensions, but I remember her owner saying that she was about 30ft long, though I was thinking maybe about 37/38 ft.
The stern wheel was removed in 2007, and the side wheels were added in early 2008.
The Ivy - May is usually moored in amongst a few private houseboats, just off Abbatoir Rd. Echuca East

Regards,

Leith Hall