Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: 100mm Feathering Paddle Wheels  (Read 5484 times)

thething84

100mm Feathering Paddle Wheels
« on: February 15, 2011, 12:15:51 AM »
Hey guys.

Well as some of you may know i have pulled out the strongobw paddle tug plans again. so though i would start with the paddle wheels while i am waiting to get the ply tp make the ribs out of.

I am looking at making the fully working feathering wheels. got the plans as part of the main plans. I am thinking of joining it all together using 12BA brass machine screws. not sure weather to use cheese head screws, dome head screws of get some hex heads(which are harder to find). although did think that heax heads could be made using the nut on the outside.

what you guys think???

Offline peter ravenscroft

Re: 100mm Feathering Paddle Wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:23:16 AM »
try ekp at bratton fleming in devon for your screws good quality and good service
they do a good range also do one size head down ie 6ba with a 7ba head
regards
peter

thething84

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 10:11:48 AM »
try ekp at bratton fleming in devon for your screws good quality and good service
they do a good range also do one size head down ie 6ba with a 7ba head
regards
peter

thinking now maybe using 11BA, anyone got any views. wot fixings they have used to put there paddle wheel together so its still feathering etc?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 10:33:41 AM »
I always make my paddles (feathering) from aluminium, Easy to work lightweight and I fix them with rivets, made from gimp pis. (very small nails) Very cheap compared to 11BA set screws. The steel nails can be soldered with out fixing the ali. This can be seen on this site-construction- Duke of Devonshire. R.G.Y.
G.Y.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:55 PM »
Hi
Perhaps a scan of your drawing or sketch of your construction ideas might help us to give a better opinion on fixings.

One thought regarding hex heads - yes they are probably going to be more scale in appearance but by the time you have applied paint they will probably apprear more rounded ... given the cost of BA i personally would be going the slightly cheaper and easier to source cheese head route.

As Geof says maybe rivets would be another idea worth exploring .... 

Or if you fancy 'cheating' I know a source of 105mm feathering wheel kits ;)

Regards,
Kim

thething84

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Hi
Perhaps a scan of your drawing or sketch of your construction ideas might help us to give a better opinion on fixings.

One thought regarding hex heads - yes they are probably going to be more scale in appearance but by the time you have applied paint they will probably apprear more rounded ... given the cost of BA i personally would be going the slightly cheaper and easier to source cheese head route.

As Geof says maybe rivets would be another idea worth exploring .... 

Or if you fancy 'cheating' I know a source of 105mm feathering wheel kits ;)

Regards,
Kim

nah i wanna make them myself? easy to do with the equipent i got at work. having the wheel rims CNC routed outta 0.030" sheet ally. could easily rivet them together using rivets if we got any small enough!

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 07:48:22 AM »
thinking now maybe using 11BA, anyone got any views. wot fixings they have used to put there paddle wheel together so its still feathering etc?
I used styrene for mine but much of the construction would work exactly the same if I used metal frames/paddles, might be worth a look... http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4771.135
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

thething84

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 04:17:42 AM »
I used styrene for mine but much of the construction would work exactly the same if I used metal frames/paddles, might be worth a look... http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4771.135

well we have had progresss. I now have eight rims sitting at work which have been cnc routed out for me, just gotta deburr them etc, will drop a pic on here when i get one. forgot to take one. so i just gotta start on the paddles. which i have already started to be honest.

thething84

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »
can someone explain to me why i keep getting an internal server error while i try to attach pics???

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
can someone explain to me why i keep getting an internal server error while i try to attach pics???

Probably because the filesize or the number of pixels is too large....

If you cannot resize the images, send them to me via email eddy.matthews@paddleducks.co.uk and I'll resize them and send them back so you can post them.

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

thething84

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:10:38 AM »
ahhh file size is correct. but what is the pixel limit. didn't know it had one

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:16:08 AM »
ahhh file size is correct. but what is the pixel limit. didn't know it had one

To be honest I have no idea what the pixel limit is - It's defined by the amount of memory our host server has available to process the image, it's not a limit we put on :(

Generally if you keep images below 1200 x 800 they should be okay...

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

thething84

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
ok so here are the pics.

all parts are being made out of 0.032" THK 2024 T3 aluminium sheet.

first pic is of the cnc'd paddle wheel rim. i have eight of these in total. couple of spares.

second pic is the form block i made in order to bend up the pivit bits which will be attached to the actual paddles.

third pic is of one of the bent up pivits. still needs the legs trimmed and drilled.

james

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Neat work James....

Looking forward to seeing them come together!

Regards
Eddy

thething84

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »
yeh i am looking forward to seeing them come together. hopefully i will get the time to do some of the bits i wanna get done at work. been moved onto a 5 axis machine so ones running may have a little time.