Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191970 times)

Offline PeeWee

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2010, 04:44:52 AM »
What ever next Geoff, I wish i had your talent for finding fittings out of the mundane everyday items.   :clap
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #301 on: August 19, 2010, 09:14:06 PM »
Ian, Just a case of looking in amongst all the rubbish I keep, and seeing what will suffice. In my last post it will be seen that I have had a good clean up ready for the painting. Three different sizes of tube make the telegraphs. The largest has been filled with hard balsa before cutting, so it dose not deform.  Just have to figure out how to make the handles. Geoff
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:25:38 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #302 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:34 AM »
AT LAST :kiss1First coat of paint. Brushed on so I could fill any gapes in the plates.  Most of this coat will be rubbed off. One half still wet hence the shine. In the first photo the lugs for the beach landing gear. Geoff[/size]
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:42:38 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #303 on: August 23, 2010, 03:51:56 AM »
Mick I see in your Princess Elisabeth build, you are trying to keep the water out where the two half's of the hull join.  I have decided to let it in, will act as ballast, and will only be a small amount. Geoff
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:53:53 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: August 23, 2010, 04:09:21 AM »
Comming along very nicely Geoff..... Only 4 weeks to go until Paddler Day though! ;)

Regards
Eddy
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 05:30:14 AM by Eddy Matthews »
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline djcf

« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2010, 05:29:31 AM »
Hi Geoff,
Nice to see the lovely hull lines showing with the first coat of paint. I really like that part of a build.
regards
Clark

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #306 on: August 23, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
Yes time is not on my side! The (gripes) for the life boats ( well that's what I call them) Another little job done but 6 more of these to do. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2010, 03:11:35 AM »
Ah no more beer cans  :beer  and the life boat stands looking very nice.
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2010, 05:04:11 AM »
Mick I see in your Princess Elisabeth build, you are trying to keep the water out where the two half's of the hull join.  I have decided to let it in, will act as ballast, and will only be a small amount. Geoff
I'm hoping to keep the water out in case I want to put anything in that compartment (smoke generator maybe) but if it leaks it shouldn't make much difference to the ship...
Duke seems to be coming along nicely  ;)       
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2010, 08:15:12 PM »
Waiting for paint to dry! So made the ship's wheel, like most paddlers of this period it was made from brass, not wood. Short end of inch and a quarter rod mounted in chuck and turned, see photo P1 &2. Then divided using home made device P3, scribing with parting off tool and sharp pointed tool around circumference. These marks enough to center a 1.7mm drill, drill through rim into hub. Epoxy 1.6 brass wire into holes P4. when it sets I will part off. Super glue is not good enough as it cant stand the heat generated.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #310 on: August 26, 2010, 06:29:21 AM »
Parted off the wheel, trimmed handles to length. I then but a bolt through the center hole fixed in lathe and radius the cut side. Made the pedestal from tube and a gas fitting. This looks heavy but is all hollow. Ever conscious of top weight. Completed the three? telegraph. :shoot The question is are there three on the ship?? I can not see one by the helm as the port side is obscured by the helmsman. Any ideas Please. Geoff P.S. Derek as you can see I have mastered the faces (sometimes)R.G.Y.
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #311 on: August 26, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
As no one has an opinion :-X I will fit the three telegraph. Marked the water line. Must wait for the paint to harden before I mask up for the boot topping. Made a stand from a old drawer front 1" oak. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline djcf

« Reply #312 on: August 27, 2010, 05:16:18 AM »
Hi Geoff,
The bridge area is looking great, lots of detail and interest there.
 Not sure about the "Duke" regarding the number of telegraphs, but a lot of contempary paddlers seem to have an engine room telegraph by the wheel also.
 I see the Duke didn't have extra telegraphs on the bridge wings for mooring orders to the deck crew....perhaps the Skippers of old just shouted any orders :D
Clark

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #313 on: August 27, 2010, 06:32:56 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmm :whistle ...that is a very elaborate method of accurately marking the waterline with a vernier height gauge  :hammer

Unfortunately they have not been invented here in OZ yet  :shhh ...so we just make do with a few kangaroo bones glued together to make a similar device......then we attach our thumb [which had been previously dipped in tar] ......Derek  :tongue1
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #314 on: August 27, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
 DEREK, I did enjoy that post.  :great :bravo :no1b :08 ;D Geoff                   
G.Y.