Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191967 times)

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2010, 01:08:22 AM »
Made parts for the davits and falls, These will not be fixed permanently until the hull is painted.  P1 turning the ball ends. P2 drill before parting off. P3 pulley wheel for sheaves. P4 kit of parts . P5 completed pulleys. P6 davit in position, note pulley on the top to lift gang plank. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #241 on: July 03, 2010, 12:44:17 AM »
I am most disappointed no one has asked how I made the metal pulleys. I was quite proud of them yesterday. But not today I will have to make some more. In the mean time the sponson braces, something often forgotten. As the model is lifted by the sponsons they have been punched through the hull. epoxy and filler will hide the mess.  Geoff
G.Y.

Offline djcf

« Reply #242 on: July 03, 2010, 05:49:46 AM »
Hi Geoff,
Please do show us your methods for making the pulleys. Enjoying seeing how you make all the small bits & fittings.
Clark

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #243 on: July 03, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »
Will do Clark, it doesn't take much to twist my arm. Hopefully I'll make a better job this time.  Geoff
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #244 on: July 03, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
....the sponson braces, something often forgotten. As the model is lifted by the sponsons they have been punched through the hull. epoxy and filler will hide the mess.  Geoff
That's pretty much how I do them, too  ;D
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #245 on: July 04, 2010, 12:01:59 AM »
I had looked at the pulleys and thought they looked neat, but between Canada Day and helping the wife at her office didn't get a chance to post. Please do show.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #246 on: July 04, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
are we talking about the items in PICT0064.JPG? it would be useful to see how you made those, yes please....  :)
Posted by Mick.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #247 on: July 05, 2010, 03:40:33 AM »
 Yes PICT0064. Will be starting the new pulleys 6th or 7th July. Mark 2 version should be better. Racing & bowling in the mean time. Geoff
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 03:42:07 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #248 on: July 05, 2010, 06:45:18 AM »
actually, not meaning to be picky but is your method able to make double pulleys? all the ones I've seen have two pulleys in the block (and the plastic ones I bought also do...)
Posted by Mick.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #249 on: July 05, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »
Mick, pick away by all means most welcome.  I will be making double pulleys this time. On the falls the rope will be fix to the lower pulley, go up around the top, down around the lower, then over the top and down to the cleat. One double and one single on each fall. Pictures of pulleys which belonged to my grandfather. The single is on the washing line. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #250 on: July 05, 2010, 11:04:06 PM »
Metal pulleys on the life boats in this case and wooden blocks on the anchor davits. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2010, 03:15:49 AM »
Here is a shot of the hull split in half,  The aft sponson supports are fixed to a separate strip of ply.
Now the pulleys mk 2. I start with a 3/8" square brass rod. Drill 3 by 1.5mm holes 2 on opposite corners and 1 in the center. Then grind off the corners without the holes, to the shape of the pulleys. I mount the rod in the tool post and cut 1.5mm slices off with a slitting saw. The pulley wheels are tuned from aluminium rod. A brass side plate is positioned on an aluminium plate and the holes drilled through. The reason for aluminium will become clear later. The boss has just hit the dinner gong. end of play for today. Geoff
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:17:28 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
 Drilled 2 by 3mm holes in the aluminium plate. I changed the nail pins for brass, and soft solder over both external plates. Cut off the excess plate,  cleaned up with a file, job done. Of course the aluminium pulley wheels don't stick to the solder and still rotate. As this was a prototype I will now make smaller ones.Geoff
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:50:06 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #253 on: July 09, 2010, 05:31:28 AM »

As this was a prototype I will now make smaller ones 

Cor,  well done Geoff. Watching with interest as I might have a go myself. Thanks for showing us.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living,
                    it still remains popular.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #254 on: July 09, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
Starting with 1/4inch square this time. Geoff
G.Y.