Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE  (Read 191956 times)

Offline mjt60a

Re: DUKE OF DEVONSHIRE
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2010, 06:24:46 AM »
Looks good  :)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline kno3

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2010, 06:33:28 AM »
Nice work with the paddlewheels.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2010, 06:49:41 AM »
great looking wheels there
Ian
Sane? who knows? who cares?

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2010, 09:11:01 AM »
No snow in Teignmouth Eddy yet! We have a a big fire in our grate. Thanks for the comments guys. The fiddly bits next.  More tomorrow. Geoff
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:21:38 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2010, 07:16:35 AM »
Six hours again to day. Tomorrow playing bowls, Sunday motorbike racing. So more on Monday hopefully. P1 strips of 20 swg aluminium and mild steel pattern. For making brackets. P2 jig for drilling holes they must be all the same. Drilling through the pattern two at a time. P3 Bolt four to pattern file to shape, repeat . P4 Jig for bending up make left and right hand. P5 First bracket finished. P6 All completed. P7 One float riveted to bracket and fitted to wheel. Each float needs fitting as the tolerances are very tight, just one stroke of the file can make a big difference. P8 The photo I have of the original shows the floats worn away by touching the frame of the wheel. P9 work so far, I have masked the wood so I can spray paint when finished. You will see the thin aluminium tubes with small holes near each end. they are the hinge pins, 10BA bolts  tap into the tubes. I run solder into the small holes so the bolts don't undo. This arangment strengthens the wheel, and has worked well for me in the past, not true scale I know. Geoff
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 07:20:51 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2010, 04:02:56 AM »
Did manage some work (play) today. The rudder completed This and the wheels are the only visible rivets, all the rest will be flush. Also finished rubbing down and filling the hull. Marked the plating runs and the portholes. In the final picture can be seen the housing for the bearing holders.Goff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 06:42:52 AM »
4 hours play today. P1 the funnel 2 beer cans, had no aluminium large enough for the cap so had to use brass, weight at height not good. but it is very thin. P2 Nails through sides of hub then bent up, to accept bracing tubes. P3 All the parts to complete one wheel. P4 One completed wheel less feathering rods. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 07:16:11 AM »
I have some things that cant be determined from the photos I have found. First no stanchions can be see on the inside of the bulwarks. Only reinforcement at the shrouds. As there are passengers sat against the bulwarks I am thinking they are lined with timber? Secondly no wash ports or gaps can be seen. In this case my thoughts are a cover board laid on the perimeter of the deck forming a scupper 9 inches inboard. Where lead pipes direct the water overboard. An other ideas? Most welcome. Geoff
G.Y.

Offline djcf

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 09:10:24 AM »
Hi Geoff,
Enjoying watching the progress on your build, coming together nicely.

With regard to the bulwarks, I have plans of an 1890s paddler showing stantions/supports on the inside of solid bulwarks, about every 5 feet or so.
Possibly these supports are hidden behind wooden slatted seating on the "Duke".
A 9" scupper inside the bulwarks sounds about right....I have made them about that wide on my build.

regards
Clark

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
You've certainly been very busy over the last few days Geoff! Puts my pathetic efforts to shame! I just don't seem to be making much progress at the moment :(

Keep the posts coming, I'm watching with interest....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2010, 07:33:11 AM »
Thanks Clark, I now think you are right about the stanchions, there seem to be very few. The postcards I have are here so you can see. No slatted backs can be seen though.
Eddy, I may have done a lot of work, but it will take a month to clear up the mess in the workshop.
 I forgot to say the notches in the hinge tubes are for solder to penetrate on to the gimp pins. The advantage of using aluminium is even if the solder runs into the pivot holes, the hinge will not seize. Off course the solder will not stick. The same method is used with the pivots on the feathering rods. see below. geoff
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:40:44 AM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline djcf

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2010, 08:50:27 AM »
Geoff,
This pic as Consul shows supports just above the seating...not very clear though i'm afraid
Clark

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »
  A lot of stanchions there. Yes but she had two large rebuild by this time. The cars 50-60s.  I hate slats!!(on the seats.)  But if I have to I will.  Thanks all the same. Geoff
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:29:20 PM by R.G.Y. »
G.Y.

Offline Talisman

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53:56 AM »
Interesting pic.
What are all the 'knobbly' bits towards the bow are they anodes?
As for slats Geoff i know what you mean!
Kim
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:55:42 AM by Talisman »

Offline R.G.Y.

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Knobbly bits? They would not be anodes as they are above the water line. My thoughts are they could be fixing points for the on board gangway.  This strange arrangement can be seen below. Geoff
G.Y.