Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: PS Connaught - advice please  (Read 6863 times)

Offline Stuart Badger

PS Connaught - advice please
« on: October 10, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »
Hi PDs
yet again I need to pick your combined brains. It's a long way off yet but I do need to think about how to power Connaught.

She will be approximately 3 metres long (but VERY slim) with a paddlewheel diameter of 270mm, each wheel will have 14 floats. I have a Proteus steam plant - but I don't think it's man enough for the job (unless you know different?).

SO! any suggestions as to suitable electric motors? I can sort out gearing etc - I really need to pick the brains of those of you that have built large WORKING models!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Re: PS Connaught - advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 12:18:22 AM »
Hi PD's.....Stuart "3 metres long (but VERY slim)" are you talking of say ....30 kg displacement?....  :oops ....

You may remember from the original PD's @ Yahoo days ...my OZ mate Brett Hallett who trialed twin wiper motors in a paddler.....more torque than a V8 supercar  :great

http://web.aanet.com.au/~dragoncity/

Derek
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 12:29:29 AM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 01:37:08 AM »
What about 1 (or maybe 2) of these Stuart?

They are from kids electric scooters, bags of torque and very low drain...

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline andy

• Model of paddle steamer DIESSEN 1:20
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 02:00:24 AM »
And why not steam? My experience of direct driven paddlewheels is, that they need about 1/4 of the outer paddle radius for the crankshaft radius. But minimum 2 cylinders!

???

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the replys!

Sorry I haven't responded earlier - I have an intermittant ISP at the moment - should be fixed by now I hope. Those electric motors look interesting Eddy? I have thoght of windscreen wiper motors Derek - but they are difficult to source here (they tend to get used over and over on the island 'wrecks' (cars!)

As I said Andy I have a Cheddar modelsd Proteus steam plant - but I don't know if it would be powerful enough. I also have two Cheddar models 'Puffin' motors in 'Old Trafford' but again I'm not sure about the power available.

Food for thought!

Stuart
Remember - a lone amateur built the Ark, it took a team of dedicated engineers to produce the Titanic.
Stuart

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:37:55 AM »
If you want one or two I can get them for you and pop em in the post Stuart - With the included belts and drivewheels they give approx 130rpm on 12 volts, though you would have to machine a centre for the large pulley to take your paddleshaft.

Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:40:48 AM »
Ohhhh! yus please Eddy!

Stuart
Stuart

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 06:44:58 AM »
One or two Stuart?

I would suggest two as your driving LARGE paddlewheels..... You don't need to run them independently, just one driving each wheel, if you see what I mean?

Give me a few days to sort some out for you....

Eddy

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:55:03 AM »
Thank you so much Eddy - two questions

How much do I owe you?

What rating of speed controller do I need?

Stuart
Stuart

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 07:01:25 AM »
My eyesight seems to be going.... I can't make out what the first bit of your message says, so I'll ignore it. ;)

As for speed controller, a friend has one of these motors driving two 8" paddlewheels in one of his models and the motor draws less than 0.5 amp under load!

Eddy

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 08:39:12 PM »
Stuart, ignore the Phillistines and go with the steam plant. I have a 2 metre paddler that is quite broad in the beam with 180mm dia wheels with 80mm wide floats. It is powered by a single cylinder 3/4 by 5/8 double acting steam plant geared about 3.5:1 The biggest problem even on only 30psi steam pressure is to slow the thing down! It will cavitate the wheels and put the bow wave up over the top of the bow if I open the throttle. I have used her as a mobile test bed for various steam engines that I am importing and selling and even the smallest Gage engine (1/2 by 5/8 double acting single) pushes her along fine and the twins all do it at idle. Now I have to admit that I have no experience with a Proteus but I am sure it must produce as much power as the American and New Zealand made engines, it is after all BRITISH MADE old chap. If perchance it did struggle just crank up the pressure a little. You will have plenty of room for a decent sized boiler, a feedwater tank and even an electric water pump plus dual gas cylinders. Have a look in my gallery at the pictures of Waimarie. Electric power is never going to give you the smells and sights and satisfaction that steam will bring. Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 02:14:55 AM »
I think Ian has it right go with steam. I was shown a nice screw driven model a couple of years ago that had both steam and electric drive, it used a servo controlled gearbox to switch from one to the other, would that work in your model?
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

waldenmodels

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »
Sorry to barge in here, Stuart - but have you been able to determine whether Connaught had a coppered hull? I can't quite tell from the pictures...

Cheers,

Oliver

Offline Stuart Badger

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 08:12:27 PM »
Thanks all for the advice - I'm going to take all your comments on board and think about it!

Oliver - Connaught's hull was iron - so she would definitely not have been coppered. I have also had discussions with Dave Lyons (Greateastern) and we have summised that the drawings in Scott Russel's book are rather misleading about her bow profile. Connaught's stem was virtually vertical (as shown on the GA drawing and NOT angled dramatically as illustrated on the line and sections drawing) - which was a bit of a disappointment as I had already cut the keel - ah well - back to the drawing board!

Stuart
Stuart

waldenmodels

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 04:37:58 AM »
Thanks Stuart I had heard that some fast iron-hulled packets where sheathed in wood and copper to prevent fouling and so preserve speed.

Bummer about the bow - I completely missed that as well, though it's plain as day from the model photos. This also explains why the deck drawing didn't quite fit. Back to ...well an earlier square, anyway!

Cheers,

Oliver
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:39:39 AM by waldenmodels »