Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: "Captain Sturt' paddle wheel kit.  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Barry

"Captain Sturt' paddle wheel kit.
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
My new paddle wheel kit is ready for sale. It's a stern wheel based on an American built, but used in Australia on the Murray, boat called the Captain Sturt. It's 3/8" - 1' scale and measures 143 mm. dia. and 185 mm. across the floats. The shaft is 5mm. diameter and is supplied. I'm doing two versions a standard and a deluxe. The deluxe version has extra parts - 280 laser cut 'nuts' as well as 70 battens and wire to make the u bolts that go on the floats. The standard has plain floats.
As with my other kits this wheel comes with all the parts need to build it, except glue and paint.
The Sturt had two American sister ships the Guyandot and the Scioto and the wheel would no doubt be suitable for many other vessels.
Available from-
www.floataboat.com.au
www.waverleymodels.co.uk
www.loyalhannadockyard.com

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Re: "Captain Sturt' paddle wheel kit.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:10:07 PM »
Goodness PD's........we have our Barry from potato land in Geeeeeeeeeelong in OZ  :whistle....making his first laser cut wheel set just months ago [I have purchased one set].... :no1b....

....and now he is exporting them to three continents of our BIG world  :great :bravo

We ..... :gathering are all so proud that man from OZ can do this  :nahnah ..................:sorry ................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline herrmill

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 09:17:02 AM »
Nice looking wheel Barry!  Would you be planning to post photos of the detailed kit?  

I just received the USS Undine drawings & will plan to buy this wheel once I get closer to the project date.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 09:19:20 AM by herrmill »
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Barry

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
 ;D Thank you Derek.

A photo of the as yet unpainted and unfinished Sturt wheel with the extra details on.

The Sydney Powerhouse Museum has one of the original drawings of the Sturt. I don't think it's been available before as I had to pay the fee to have it assessed for coping. For research purposes I've attached a copy. More details at http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=323547&search=captain+sturt&images=&c=&s=

P.S. I should add that the little nuts measure 2 mm. across the flats.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:40:51 PM by Barry »