Forum > Sailing craft

1/25 Sha Chuan Junk

(1/2) > >>

herrmill:
Thought I'd share some photos of a 1/25 sha chuan junk that I'm currently building to appease some of my local citizens who question the sanity of a laowai who builds model boats.  It will be strictly sail with 3 working sails, reefing on the main & operating leeboards, the later mainly for show.  I'll have a bolt-on fin keel to help keep this flat bottom barge on the straight & narrow.

I'm sanding the hull now prior to glassing & hope to get the masts turned by a local cabinet shop this week.  The chunk of rosewood sitting on my bench is slated for the deck & rig fittings, mainly sister blocks & euphroe for the sheetlets. Am looking forward to making the sails & see just how well this contraption of lines, blocks & bamboo will actually work in a continuous sheeting system.  

Other than the sail winch, servos for rudder, halyard & leeboards & wooden blocks purchased from Poland's RB Model, everything else is scratch built with the majority of materials locally scrounged from local construction in our development.  Sail material set me back a few quai at the local fabric market.  I did have to drag the dowels back from the States on a recent trip since one cannot find anything like this here.

To accompany my latest "piece of junk", I've started on the hull for the early Song 4-wheel paddle ship that is posted elsewhere in the research forum.  I'll start a build thread on it once I gain some more headway.  

Chuck

Eddy Matthews:
Hi Chuck,

Sailing boats don't normally do much for me, but a Chinese Junk looks like a challenge! ;)

So with this and then a four wheeled paddler, I can see we're in for some interesting post in the future. Please keep us informed of your progress on both models.....

Regards
Eddy

kiwimodeller:
Yours looks like a very nice and straight Junk, I remember reading in one of my old Model Ships and Powerboats magazines of the 40's or 50's about a Crooked Stern Junk where the whole stern section curved off to one side so they could use a sweep to steer with I think. I will watch your build with interest and might even get inspired enough to drag out the pile of old books and think about building something very different. Cheers, Ian.

herrmill:
Its been a while since I've done any work on the junk between a busy schedule and hectic personal life with my eldest son now in town teaching ESL but here are a few photos to show that it has gotten closer to completion. 

Sure does make a large conversation starter sitting in the hallway, not to mention a convenient place to store keys & spare change.   ;)

The plan is now to get it on the water within the next 2 months so work can finally commence on the paddle boat.  I already have all the parts & wood stored away for the latter for what will be this winter's primary build.

R.G.Y.:
I am very happy to see a post in the sail section.  As mine was the last post in 2010, The junk is looking good. I enjoy sail craft a much bigger challenge on the water than a paddler.  R.G.Y.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version