Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Latest MMI  (Read 2627 times)

Offline mjt60a

Latest MMI
« on: July 19, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »
had a quick look in the newsagents, looks like there's a Creole Queen build in it....  :P
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
Re: Latest MMI - August '09
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
Hello Mick, you beat me to it. I've not read the atricle thoroughly yet. It appears to be a build log with a list of improvements that the author has made based on a previous experience. It does look to be a beautifully finished model. However if the speread of five pages is what it takes to make the improvements then I 'd hate to think what it wouAs I say i'v enot  read through it completely  but I do intend to once I've finished the article by Jim Pottinger on the pusher tug Pierre Brousse which is where my true prefernce lies.

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline mjt60a

Re: Latest MMI - August '09
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:59:19 AM »
....the article by Jim Pottinger on the pusher tug Pierre Brousse....

I looked briefly at that too (haven't read it yet) the design (especially of the hull) reminds me a bit of some of the ones on 'towboat joes' site... didn't know they had them in europe!
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

sandystrone

Re: Latest MMI
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:45:26 AM »
To Red Hamish

Hi Jim, have a look at the model in Jim Pottinger's article in August MMI, I think the EARL was a bit before your time on the islands!

Again I say - I wish I had never sold that model of EARL, she was a good sea boat.

I've been told by the editor that my model of paddler MAID OF THE LOCH won't now appear in MODEL BOATS mag until the end of the year!     Sandy

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 05:31:28 AM »
Hello all, Sandy raises a good point I don't remember the Earl of Zetland which was withdrawn from service in 1973. However my wife was resident here when the ship was doing its rounds and her mother certainly recalls it along with the other North boats. As an aside Jim Pottinger should be able to replicate the Earl as he is a Shetlander who would have travelled on her often.

cheers

Jim

p.s. The attached picture was freely available from Shetland Museum and Archives.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:16:26 AM by Red_Hamish »
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline U-33

• the all seeing eye...
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:22:11 AM »
The Earl of Zetland? Wasn't that the boat that was in Eastbourne marina as a floating resturant for a while? I'm sure it was, I'm sure I remember going for a meal on it with the ex-wife once. The surroundings were nice, but the food.... :o

Rich
"take her down, number one..."

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 06:17:07 AM »
Hello Rich, yes you are quite correct. The Earl of Zetland did indeed become and still is a floating restaurant. Now based in North Shields. The following is a very reduced image of the GA Plans held in Aberdeen City Councils Museum services where it may be possible to get a proper copy if anyone is interested.

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-592-481-C

regards

Jim

sandystrone

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 06:22:26 PM »
Hi Jim,
I was on the real EARL OF ZETLAND at North Shields marina,two weeks ago and its very sad the state she is in now.

Very much in need of tender loving care - a lot of rust, holes in the wooden decking, and a very run down condition.

If she goes bust, then she will have to be cut up in place as the new lock they built at the marina is too small to float her out. She still has her original Polar diesel in place but I wasn't allowed to look around.       Sandy