Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Ancient Chinese Paddleboats  (Read 3530 times)

Offline herrmill

Ancient Chinese Paddleboats
« on: January 18, 2009, 11:14:41 AM »
One of my projects this year will be an ancient Chinese paddleboat warship from the Song Dynasty to go alongside a sailing junk that I'm building.  Since I doubt I'll come across any plans, it will be based more on conjecture than documentation, but the possibilities are intriguing:

"The Chinese in the Northern and Southern Dynasties (420-581) invented the paddle wheel ship. A wheel with boards or paddles affixed around its circumference, instead of the oars, was used to propel the ship. The use of a constantly moving device, rather than an intermittent device, signified a critical technological improvement in shipbuilding."

"By the Song Dynasty, powder and ships had become two of the most important military weapons. Historical records show that General Han Shizhong defeated the enemy largely due to the use of paddle wheel ships in the famous Huangtiandang Battle. Another record shows that Yu Yuwen's paddle wheel ships once "startled and astonished" the enemy troops. With the improvement of the shipbuilding technology, the number of paddle wheels also increased from 2 to 4, 8, 20, or even 32."

Should anyone here have any knowledge or illustrations to share, I'd be most appreciative.  ;D

Chuck
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline herrmill

Re: Ancient Chinese Paddleboats
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Been sometime since I've posted an update but I'm finally getting interested again in building these early Chinese boats once my junk is done.

I visited Hangzhou's Grand Canal Museum over the weekend looking for inspiration as I finish drawing plans for my long-delayed 4-wheeled Southern Song warship.  While there looking over the artwork & various models of vessels that plied the Grand Canal over the centuries, I came across several interesting vessels including a paddle wheel passenger boat that could be another candidate for a future build.   

Another interesting find was a specific type of vessel used for entertainment by boatmen after a hard day on the water. Not sure if they hung a lantern at night, but I'd be apt to believe many a master was happy to drop anchor for the night once he heard the cry 看到红旗, 水手喜悦! or in proper British English: "Red Flag in Sight, Sailors Delight!"  ;)

Should you have the chance to visit China on business or pleasure, you will want to include Hanghzou on your itinerary for its number of museums & attractions related the area's long 8,000 history

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:23:50 PM by herrmill »
"China is a sleeping giant. Let her sleep, for when she wakes she will shake the world." ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Spankbucket

• Emigre from South London
Re: Ancient Chinese Paddleboats
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »
Brilliant subject!!!......I've always fancied doing a Korean Turtle armoured ship.