Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Scale figures2  (Read 9434 times)

Offline mike32

Re: Scale figures2
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 01:09:47 AM »
Have ordered 50 O guage £8.60 from e-bay.ourmodelworld inc p&p.Let you know how they turn out.Thanks for all the suggestions.
mike

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »
I just had  look at those (from that sellers ebay shop) and they are exactly like the ones I bought. If you compare them to the preiser figures, the clothing and positions they are standing/sitting are identical, but the faces and clothing (buttons, creases etc) are somehow less detailed - which is why I think someone has made moulds of the preiser figures and cast their own copies...
that didn't stop me buying some though  :-X
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline mike32

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 04:29:21 AM »
I will photograph them when they arrive. The delivery is delayed because of holidays, so it will be February before I see them.
I have to make a decision as to where to seperate the cabin and canopies so that I can can access the electrics etc.
It seems very  difficut to have to remove both the rear cabin and the canopy which is supported by the colums.Any ideas?
mike

Offline djcf

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
Mike,
I have been looking at pictures of the HJEJLEN, she's a fine looking paddler.
It seems that the present canopy is rigid, and also considerably larger than the older awning type canopy, what way are you modelling her?

Clark

Offline mike32

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 03:47:35 AM »
Hi Clark
Thanks for the interest,

The model is an old Billing kit and the plan is based on the 1942 version with a solid canopy over both the rear cabin and front passenger well.I have made the canopies, replacing the 1mm mahogany sheet (which had split with age ) with 1/16 birch ply. The problem is that the canopies stand on 2mm dia brass posts. To access the electrics I will need to remove the rear canopy then the rear cabin. Do I leave the posts attached to the canopy and have small tubes at deck level to locate them or fix the posts on the hull and locate the canopy on top of them. I favour the first method as it leaves the hull clear for access.Any other ideas.?
mike

Offline djcf

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »
Mike,
At present, I am making a non paddler model , where the access is (should be!) easier than on the HJEJLEN. I have spent many hours working out the best way for hull access, as I want max space to get inside, as you know...
On HJEJLEN, with the larger canopy,& in my limited experience, I would go for keeping the canopy & legs in one piece, with the legs slotting into the deck. 2mm legs/frame with rigid covering may be strong enough for removal etc. Also no stantions sticking up for you to damage!!
Maybe you could get some advice from PD'S who have modelled Waverley, as the stantion problem is there also.. But I'm sure you will have to deal with a removable canopy then deal with the deck shelter.
Looking forward to hearing your methods, as I'm sure this is a problem many have faced!!
regards Clark

Offline mike32

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:23 PM »
Hi Clark
I am going for the stanchions attached to the rigid canopy option. Thanks for your input.
Mike

Offline mike32

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 08:18:37 AM »
Could not get my head round the 1/48 figures required for HJEJLEN as the tops of their heads would hardy show over the railings. Examining the Billings plan it is shown as 1/4 to the foot, now I realise the plan must have been enlarged from the original without changing the scale reference. Working off the fullsize ship dimensions the scale is 3/8 to the foot,ie 1 gauge.
Photos also show passengers leaning against the railing with the rails at waist height. This now means I have got to order larger figures. Just shows you can not take plans for granted.
mike

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »
Yes, I think I read somewhere that Hjelen is in 1/32nd scale (it's quite a small vessel) but that means you can use scalextric, airfix, MRRC, carrera, preiser or britains ltd figures!
I just ordered (and have since recieved) this set - http://www.getslotted.co.uk/default.aspx?category=3&code=MC-5092 - which are 1/32nd
I bought this set some time ago (but on ebay) - http://www.getslotted.co.uk/Zoom.aspx?ProductID=2048&ImageURL=carrera_figures_grandstand_21108_thumb.gif&ProductCode=21108&ProductManuID=2 there are 20 figures in the box but actually there are only 5 different and you get 4 of each, still they are poseable and when repainted should look all different!
Here are some scalextric ones on ebay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/scalextric-figures_W0QQitemZ200307628314QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Toys_Games_Scalextrics_Slot_Cars_ET?hash=item200307628314&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
The airfix (as it was before MRRC) figures I also got on ebay but I don't see any there now, pity because they're as good as preiser! I also have some preiser figures and some britains....
one of the airfix figs is shown below
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 09:16:56 AM by mjt60a »
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline mike32

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009, 09:32:35 PM »
Thanks Mick I will try all those, just wished I had checked the scale before ordering from China the set of 25 at 1/48 scale.
mike