Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: My paddle wheels/drive system.  (Read 9071 times)

2late

Re: My paddle wheels/drive system.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 08:37:13 AM »
Talisman, As stated my CNC is home made and uses a normal router to drive the bits. The bits are listed as 'Solid carbide end mill' I normally use a 2 mm bit with a feed rate of 1mm a second on the brass and up to 6 mm on 2 mm ply. I have not used any cooling as the feed rate is slow enough that I have not had any problems. The only problem that is occurring is that the bits are ' Up Cut' and they lift the work off the table so any tabs that I put in to hold the work together until I am ready to remove it are sometimes taken out. I am working on a system that applies slight downward pressure on the job to keep it flat on the table during cutting. A straight cut bit would probably be better, but my supplier does not appear to have any. So far I have not broken any bits at all. I am using Mach 3 on the CNC. I would think that you just have to slow the travel speed down and keep the bit speed up, depending on the size of the bit you are using.

Graham

Offline R.G.Y.

Re: My paddle wheels/drive system.
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 02:50:34 AM »
I made a set of wheels in brass, but because I had sability problems I scraped them,and  made my wheels from aluminium. Many big advantages lighter than brass and eseier to cut,(I riveted 4 pices of sheet together and cut them out on my scroll saw useing a modifid junior hack saw blade) stronger than plastic, and pivot pins if made from steel or brass can be soldered in with out sticking to the main parts.
G.Y.