Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Another newbie!  (Read 2359 times)

ronhk

Another newbie!
« on: July 29, 2008, 12:45:02 AM »
Hello all,
Joined today and I hope I will be very glad that I have done so! The reason being is that in my garage (that my wife tends to call "The Boat Shed")! I have an uncompleted model of a Mississipi river-boat. It is called the Matthew E.Spress - which I am sure must be a spelling mistake by the Italian makers -  Sergal. The scale is 1:50 . I am not sure whether to motorise it as there does not seem to be much space in the back, or to keep it static and insert small lights inside. Either way, if anyone there can give me tips on what sort of motor (if I go that way) to use or, if lights, what sort I could go for. This is not my only boat as I tend to do a couple of different types as the fancy takes me but I would like to finish this one of.
Many thanks in advance.

Ron.

PS. Have included a couple of photos if it helps.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Another newbie!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:38:09 AM »
Welcome to Paddleducks Ron....  A very nice model you have there, well done!

I assume by motorising it, you intend to make it into a fully working model? That will probably be very difficult now that the model is almost complete, and I think you will find the hull is too shallow to support the weight of the working bits - It's common to increase the draught on working models to help with weight carrying ability and stability.

On a sternwheeler, it's normal practice to fit the drive motor into the superstructure, and either use the pitman arms to drive the wheel, or use belts and pulleys or chain and sprockets.

It may be possible to get it to work, but my advice would be to keep it as a static exhibit, as it will almost certainly not work as well as expected.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....  :sobbing

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

ronhk

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:00:41 AM »
Eddy,

Thanks for your reply and no worries at all about it not being the best way to R/C the boat! I agree with you now that I have had another look that it would be best to leave it. I think that I will now just install some lights into it. Ears of corn are they called?
I should think that everyone starts of with good intentions only to come unstuck somewhere along the line! My problem now is to find out where in the house I can berth it!! In the three years that I have been making models, the space has become very tight for them.
In the near future, I will be getting a different paddle-boat and hopefully, the instructions will make it clearer as to what you have said.

Ron.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:06:51 AM »
No problem Ron. I'd rather be honest and tell you it's unlikely to work now, rather than you spending a great deal of time and money only to find out when it's too late!

The bulbs are "grain of wheat" or "grain of rice", depending on the size - "grain of rice" are smaller. Most model shops keep them in various voltages, 3v,6v,12v being the common ones, and they can be got in various colours - clear, red, green, blue etc.

When you move onto a working model, remember we're here to help and give advice if it's needed. Though it's generally better to ask before you select a model if your thinking of a kit. Some can be made to work, others are only ever going to be static display models! So be wary before parting with the hard earned cash!

regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 04:33:01 AM »

Hi Ron

Welcome to Paddleducks. It's always nice to see a new member. I hope you'll be very happy here. There is a wealth on information on these pages, so I would start your summer holiday now and delve through the archives. I've learnt so much from the guys, and I'm constantly finding out things about paddlers that I had no idea existed.

All the best

Ken
Despite the high cost of living,
                    it still remains popular.

ronhk

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 05:51:34 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks again Eddy. I will be taking up the advice about asking before I decide on what paddle to get. I have always fancied a R/C paddle and thought I had it with this one. Never mind, as when I find the room I'm sure it will not look too far out of place with lights on.
I think I must of been in farming mode when I said about the "ears of corn"!! I Knew it was something along those lines.

Thanks Tug Kenny.

Dinosaursoupman

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
Welcome Ron,

That certainly is a beautiful boat.

As Eddy has mentioned, fitting a motor now with the idea of putting it on the water may be out of the question, but, there still might be the opportunity to hook up a motor just to have the paddlewheel going as it sits over the fireplace mantle. That all depends on the amount of access you have to get inside the cabins. You definitely wouldn't want to preform surgery on her this late in the game.

If it is possible to hide a motor in her just to run the paddlewheel, you won't need a very powerful one since it won't need to propel her through the water. A direct drive through a pitman arm would look the most authentic. There have been a number of recent discussions on how to get an operating pitman arm to look and work correctly, but using a simple pitman connected directly to motor and paddle shaft would probably be the easiest, and the results would be pleasing enough. Just remember, the amount of distance between the center of the motor shaft and it's crank must be equal to the distance between the center of the paddlewheel shaft and it's crank.

Anyhow, welcome again and we look forward to seeing more!

Randy

Offline Bob Golder

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 04:16:11 AM »
Hi Ron and welcome.  I wish I had your skills and patience.  A very nice model, floating or not  :)
Cheers from Bob Golder