Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Gippsland lakes and rivers [Australia]  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Roderick Smith

Gippsland lakes and rivers [Australia]
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:39:48 AM »
I was consulting Peter Synan The lakes; highways of water yesterday for information on SS Dargo and SS Omeo.
The book was published by Landmark Press in 1989, isbn 0 949449 64 4 (0 949449 72 5 paperback).
The book is very much an economics treatise: trade and traffic and investment in worthwhile and white-elephant projects.
I thought that I had extracted a list of paddlesteamers from it, but I hadn't.  Searching on Gippsland (my search button is top right) brings up five Paddleducks references: I have placed a map of the lakes, and a reference to paddlesteamers today (the PS Curlip replica project).

Gippsland (eastern Victoria) was settled from the 1840s, but roads to this part of the state suffered from hills and heavy rain, and were much harder to traverse.  Coastal and lake shipping were important until the railway reached Sale (late 1870s), Bairnsdale (late 1880s) and Orbost (1916).  Coastal shipping was mainly by paddlesteamer until c1880, when screw took over.  Lake shipping continued to use paddlesteamers until c1890, when again screw took over.  Coastal shipping suffered from a treacherous coast with little shelter en route, and a treacherous entrance to the lakes.  Much of the book covers the politics of creating a new entrance: still as treacherous today as the earlier (natural) one.  The main lakes for navigation were Lake King, Lake Victoria and (linked by a channel) Lake Wellington.  The immediate shores were cattle country; the rivers gave access to timber-milling areas, and to packhorse trails to mining areas in the mountains.  The major rivers were the Tambo (to Mossiface), Nicholson, Mitchell (to Bairnsdale), Avon (to Clydebank & Redbank), and La Trobe / Thomson (to Sale).  Port of Sale was given a very expensive makeover a decade after the railway arrived, too late to be of economic benefit.  The river was straightened and widened and extended as a canal via a creek bed into the heart of the town.  A railway siding was used for bringing supplies from Melbourne to be taken by boat to lakeside properties.
East of the main lakes system, Lake Tyers was rarely open to the sea.
Further east, Orbost was built on Snowy River.  The original PS Curlip worked there, connecting with coastal steamers at the river mouth (supplies in; produce out).
The book is not set up as a boat/ship history; they aren't in the index.  I am skimming the whole book to find the references.  The Gippsland lakes had their own style of boat, more in the European manner than were Murray Darling boats: a sheer bow, counter stern, minimal sponsons and lightly-raked funnel.  There was minimum superstructure, leaving the fore and aft decks clear for cargo.  I have found a hint that Avon was coal fired; perhaps all were (or at least, all coastal ones were).

p8: Photo of two paddlesteamers at Bairnsdale, probably 1880s.  I suspect that one must be PS Tanjil (there were two boats with this name).
p14: First sizeable vessel to enter the lakes, schooner Georgina Smith.
p15: An 1878 painting, showing a small paddlesteamer on the sea side of the entrance.
p16: Steamer Enterprise (propulsion not mentioned) built at Sale 1857-58.  Blocked by a bridge downsteam, it took advantage of a flood to steam out over the obstruction.  Lengthened 1860; sold away from the lakes 1863.  p27 reports a trip into Lake Tyers.
p18: Lady Darling: built locally, but completed as a schooner.
p19: Black Swan, no description.
p19: PS Lady of the Lake (with a watercolour painting on p21)
p21: schooners Ella and Albert.
p27: schooner Emily Ellen.

Tues.6.5: skimming chapter 2
Gippsland Lakes Navigation Company, evolving to Gippsland Steam Navigation Company (GSN), which played a substantial role in an era of expansion, notably in the Melbourne to lakes trade.
p28: Schooners Tambo, Apollo, Jane, Lady Darling.
p28: Steamers Tommy Norton, PS Charles Edwards.
p29: Steamers Kerra and SS Ant. [The use of SS instead of PS proves nothing, as the company used the term SS for vessels which were certainly PS].
p28: Steamers Lady of the Lake and Trio with rival companies.  GSN adds steamers PS Murray and Samson. Photo of a coastal steamer (screw, not paddle) at the rival Port Albert.
p34: PS Murray was designed specifically for the lakes trade with reversible paddles specially for crossing the notorious bar.  Samson was second hand from Sydney (a hint that it was screw).
p36: In 1867 GSN had PS Gippsland built on the Clyde, 100 ft long.  It didn't enter the trade: the customs duty for the import was so high that the company transferred it elsewhere.
p36: In 1868 had PS Avon built (imported in sections and assembled in Melbourne), 3 ft 3 in [1 m] draft.
p36: Charles Edward, then also Samson, sold.
p38: An excellent photo of PS Avon.  The company ran the larger vessel (Murray) between Melbourne and Port Albert, and the smaller one (Avon) from there into to the lakes.  Tommy Norton seems to be a general lakes tender vessel.
p40: a water colour of PS Murray on the lakes.
p42: four schooners obtained for carrying materials for railway construction: Eleanor Johnstone, Warhawk, Nowra, Little AngelinaAvon damaged and sold.  Replaced by new twin-screw Rosedale, 144 ft long, built in Dundee, in service 1877 (but unsuitable, and sold in 1880 to the NSW coastal trade).
p43: Tommy Norton destroyed in a grounding; replaced with small steamer Ariel and purchase of rival Lady of the Lake.  Rival Napier on the Melbourne trade.
p44: Charter of steamer Pretty Jane while Murray was under repair from a grounding.
1882: GSN wound up.
Behind all of this there is coverage of the traffics conveyed and the development of the economy.
This was a very interesting chapter to read: brave men, difficult times, but a vision for the future.  The roads must have been frightful for the hazardous through journey by water to be so dominant, despite the need to tranship en route.  However, the bar was often impassable (bullock drays connected from Port Albert), and considerable dredging was needed in the lakes system.

7.5, chapter 3
Nothing on paddleboats as such.  This chapter is on the linking of Sale to Melbourne by rail from 1877 (suburban Oakleigh), continuing into the heart of the city from 1879.  The passenger traffic shifted to rail: safer, faster and more comfortable.  Much goods traffic shifted to rail, with the lakes boats changing role to a feeder connection, not a through voyage via sea.  New traffics developed: fishing fleets, and tourism.  The 1880s decade was a boom one Victoria: vast expansion in Melbourne (requiring building materials), a huge expansion in the railway network, and some major improvements on the lakes.  The biggest was the provision of a swingbridge at Longford and the creation of a canal and dock, bringing lakes boats right into the heart of Sale, with a railway serving the wharf.  The railway was extended to Bairnsdale, with a link to the wharf their.  Elsewhere, I have notes on the provision of a swingbridge at Bairnsdale.  It was unsuccessful, apparently opened only once in its life.  The main wharf was below the bridge anyhow, and navigation further upstream served little benefit.  There was also a twin bascule bridge over Tambo River at Swan Reach.  It did serve a useful purpose.  IIRC, it survived until the 1920s, and was replaced with a fixed-span bridge.

Aha: I have found an earlier, more condensed, version of my Synan research: in Research /APAM Director's Cut, p10.
There was also information from other posters.
A quicker way into that thread should be www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2384.msg11413#msg11413

I'll leave this coverage for now, as it seems that the topic is covered.

When work resumes, I will edit this post rather than add more posts, so call back from time to time.  When I reach the conclusion, I will set up a bookmark post.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 03:14:13 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Barry

Re: Gippsland lakes and rivers [Australia]
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:25:51 AM »
Have you seen the book Ships that sailed the Gippsland Lakes by Elizabeth de Quincey? It has a bit about the Dargo in it. It was published by the Gippsland Heritage House in 1994. ISBN 0 646 21422 5.

Offline Barry

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
The items on the Dargo.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:14:22 PM »
That was an interesting contribution to this Gippsland lakes portfolio (just remember readers that Dargo was part of the screw fleet, not paddle).  I don't own that book.

The author erred in her description of the Longford bridge as unique: it may have been the first (unlikely), but was certainly not the only one.  Even today, there are three others which open.
Queensland: one at Townsville, last opened in the 1920s, preserved as a pedestrian bridge.
NSW: At least four in Sydney, one of which is preserved in working order at touristy Darling Harbour; possibly one near McLean (it opened, but I would have to check the style).
Victoria: three (Bairnsdale, Sale and Melbourne).
Tasmania: three or four.  The current one at Dunally replaced an older one; I would have to check the mechanism for the one on the north coast.  There is also one in Hobart.
SA: about three.  The major one (Jervois Bridge) carried trains and trams too; there were two small ones in the Port Adelaide docks area.
WA: none.
Australia had a lot of movable-span bridges, but bascule or vertical-lift outnumbered swing.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Barry

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:10:49 AM »
Some more from the above book. The boat on the cover was the Tanjil of 1885.

Offline Barry

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 11:12:16 AM »
Another of the three paddlers covered.

Offline Barry

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
Last of the three. There is another book on the Gippsland lakes, I can't think of it's name but the authors surname was Bull. He was something to do with the hire boat company of the same name who operates on the lakes.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 03:22:10 PM »
Wonderful material Barry.  What a pity that there are/were only three to send.
It is easy for those with a Murray passion to forget the importance of Gippsland lakes shipping and paddleboats there, partly because they vanished earlier, with no remains and none preserved.  The PS Curlip replica project will redress this to an extent.  When driving to Orbost, do call at the Lakes Entrance visitor centre: it has a good display of lakes shipping, and some publications for sale.

Another interesting snippet in Barry's posts: one of the small boats came from Albert Park Lake.  I was going to tackle it after Lake Wendouree and Lake Weeroona.  These three were purely recreational/social.  There were also pleasure paddleboats on Yarra River & Maribyrnong River (Melbourne).  IIRC, I have posted the Port Phillip (lots) and Westernport (very few or none) fleets already.

I thought that I owned a copy of the Bull memoirs, but a quick skim of two shelves of marine books didn't find it.  I may be thinking of a page at a website.  Bull's fleet was to Victoria as Halvorsen's was to NSW.  Lots of family or school groups got a taste for inland boating by hiring one of those boats: sturdy 4, 6 & 8 berth vessels.  They needed to cope with rough weather; the Gippsland lakes pick up the wind and become quite choppy, particularly from midday.  The fleet has been sold, the business has been sold, renamed and relocated.  I was in contact with one of the surviving Bull's a few years ago, discussing lake history.

Here are the Bull books:
BULL  J.C. & PETER WILLIAMS Story Of  Gippsland  Shipping. discoveries  of  the  early  navigators,  lakes   steamers, coastal windjammers, shipwrecks and famous captains. illus. with  24  full page plates pub. Vic.  Gippsland  Lakes,  by authors 1967 or.illus.wps. 8vo. pp.110. fine.
BULL  J.C. Sailing  Ships And Paddle  Wheels  And  Other Gippsland  Shipping.  illus. with frontis. & 42  full  page plates  t/out.  one  map pub. Vic. Metung  by  author  1974 1st.ed. or. light blue cl. 8vo. pp.230.
BULL J.C.  Small Ships And Adze Chips. illus. with frontis. &  22  full page plates t/out. text plates,  e/paper  maps, pub. Vic. Metung by author 1976 1st.ed. or.cl. 8vo. pp.200.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:00:28 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Barry

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 05:20:51 PM »
They're the books I was thinking about. J. C. Bull's coauthor Peter Williams is the headman on HMAS Castlemaine in Williamstown and President of the Shiplovers Society of Vic. I know he has a lot of maritime bits and pieces and he may have more on the shipping of the Gippsland Lakes.
I've attached the contents page in case any other ships interest you. Most people don't realise how dependent Australia was on coastal and river shipping.

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 06:33:59 PM »
PS Tanjil was named after a Gippsland river, a La Trobe River tributary, and hence feeding the lakes.  The vessel followed a long-standing tradition of naming river boats after the rivers and lakes on which the plied.  I haven't found the derivation of the name, but presumably based on aboriginal culture.  For 50 years, the name was rendered Tangil.  The river rises in two main branches and a host of creeks on the western flanks of Mt Baw Baw, a granitic extrusion of volcanic origin, jutting south from the main ridge of Great Dividing Range (which runs from northern Queensland to western Victoria, defining Australia's eastern coastline).  It descends through wild and rugged country, leech infested for bushwalkers, past small hamlets which were once gold-mining centres from the 1850s to the late 1890s: Icy Creek, Vesper, Fumina, Hill End, Tanjil (now submerged under Blue Rock Dam).  Along the way, it was crossed by the Victorian Railways Walhalla line on a major wooden trestle bridge before it joined La Trobe River near Moe.  In the 1920s, the upper reaches were timber-milling territory, with mill railway lines bringing out the trees to be sawn for building houses in Melbourne during a boom era.  In the 1930s, roads replaced the railways for timber extraction.  Mt Baw Baw (1600 m asl) is one of Victoria's few ski resorts.  The winding approach road crosses the many Tanjil tributaries, including the saddle betweeen the west and east branches (at Tanjil Bren).  It makes a sudden and steep ascent of the edge of the extrusion to reach the Baw Baw plateau.
VR also used the name 'Tanjil' for a 1930s steel buffet car.  Nearly all of its special carriages were named after rivers.

Dargo was also named after a south-flowing river.  It rises in two main branches off the southern flanks of Mt Hotham, one of the highest in the Victorian section of Great Dividing Range, and a major ski resort in winter.  At the point where Dargo River and Wonangatta River merge, there is a name change to Mitchell River.  This is the river on which Bairnsdale was built, and is still navigable from Lake King to a rock barrage about 6 km upstream of Bairnsdale wharf.  Many publicity photos were taken at Eagle Point on the reach below Bairnsdale.
Omeo was a gold-mining centre, high on the ridge of the range.

The earlier research appeared on p10 of the topic 'Gippsland lakes paddlesteamers' in the thread 'APAM - the directors cut', also in the Research forum.  It came from me and from PJ (who summarised the material in Bull Small ships snd adze chips).

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:29:12 AM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: Gippsland lakes and rivers [Australia], PS/SS Burrabogie
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 03:52:08 PM »
Posts are scattered in a few threads.  Use the searchbox on Burrabogie.

Burrabogie www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDi9Q87hiNA.
The song is hack country & western.  The photos are good.

Roderick.