Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Building of Strongbow  (Read 5149 times)

ethzott

Building of Strongbow
« on: April 14, 2008, 06:58:47 AM »
Dear Paddler-fans,

I hope you are interested in the construction process of a nice model of Strongbow paddler.
A Hungarian guy does this project and you follow the procedure step by step (hull building, paddlewheel construction, steam engine....) Though the link refers to a Hungarian model forum but you can find there a lot of photos which are international, anyhow...  :)
If you need some more information I would be happy to help you in translation, or even contact the "shipwright".

http://users.atw.hu/sryforum/viewtopic.php?t=422

Kind regards,
Ferenc 

claudiu_ne2000

Re: Building of Strongbow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:56:08 PM »
Hi Ferenc

I try to make a classic DDSG paddle tug PS Hercules, ex. Kurmank, and i try to find on the internet any posts of the stage of construction of a model. I just saw your posts about building the Strongbow and i would like to know a  Hungarian posts with picture about construction  of a tug like mine.

Regards claudiu

ethzott

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »
Hi Claudiu,

You choosed a very nice paddler - Hercules and her sister Samson were beautiful!

I'm sorry but I do not know anybody who are working on a similar project.

But never mind, I hope you can build her alone as well.
All of my best wishes,
Ferenc

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 06:31:03 AM »
Hi PD's.....& thanks Ferenc for this posting...some very nice snaps......  :bravo

http://users.atw.hu/sryforum/viewtopic.php?t=422

But how do I enlarge the JPG's?  :crash...regards Derek
derekwarner_decoy ...Wollongong Australia

ethzott

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:45:41 AM »
Hi Derek and all PD's,

Enlarging JPG's is easy: click on a thumbnail there and it will pop-up a new window with a little bit larger picture. Clicking on this one you can see all details in real large size. Enjoy!  :D

Kind regards / Ferenc

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
Hi PD's ....& thanks Ferenc....but this is the only .jpg that I can open...... http://www.kepfeltoltes.hu/

:breakcomp...all of the rest take me to a GOOGLE page

I am still interested in viewing the snaps...as the hull lines & proportions are very similar to my vessel PS Decoy - regards Derek  :beer

ethzott

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:43:28 AM »
Hi Derek,

Well, I really do not know what could be the problem... It works fine for me.
Have you clicked on the picture or on the link? The good choice is the picture, the link will forward you to a general page of "kepfeltoltes.hu" (it's a picture hosting site) with some Google ads on it.
In the new window which appears you should click on the picture again and the enlarged .jpg shall be there!
So please forget the links, only the pictures are good area for you mouse activity.
Good luck / Ferenc 

ethzott

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:50:08 AM »
Hi PD's,

Building of Strongbow is finished, you can find a short video of the result on the following URL:
http://videa.hu/videok/sport/strongbow-lapatkerekes-gozhajo-Kt3R0eSSMSntyrFW

I think my friend made a great job - I'm really envious of him!

Have a happy paddling,
Ferenc

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:12:48 AM »
Hi PD's.....Ferenc.... :breakcomp.....the videa.hu snap of ....

Ket Szer..Kethewgreros...Gozgep..... looked interesting but am not sure what it was????????

A pair of oscilitators close coupled to a common shaft?..........Derek
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:22:07 AM by derekwarner_decoy »

Online derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 12:27:44 AM »
Sorry Ferenc.....my Hungarian is not good...have re-watched both video's a few times & now understand two in line twin cylinder oscillators & geared to individual paddle output shafts

The quality of the video is poor so only can guess

1)........10:1 ration gear reduction?
2).........is this the the final drive....are these the paddle shaft couplings or U pulleys for a futher reduction?
3) ........what is the silver coloured cover on the boiler top that sit's @ say 30 degrees to the port beam?....does the horizontal boiler sit @ this 30 degree axis to the vessel axis?
4) ....... :shhh there appears to be a lot of steam tube work :hammer - but now I see...twin lubricators.....twin steam supply lines to the engines.....two lines to the de-oiler ......one line from the GAZ tank

5) the video of the vessel in the water shows the boiler water gauge facing FWD & GAZ tank FWD of the FWD engine

6) the video of the engines under test suggests that the de-olier is FWD of the FWD engine

:shoot...or is everything UPSIDE down because I am from OZ...... :whistle

If you or the builder get a chance...posting some real .jpg would be  :great.....Derek
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 05:12:56 AM by derekwarner_decoy »

ethzott

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:47:59 AM »
Hi PD's and Derek,

That is the reason because I like pictures and videos - they can help to solve any language problems  :D
Some remarks to your observations:
- there are two double acting oscillating engine in the model
- the gear reduction is 6:1 (as far as I know) and there is a V-belt coupling to the paddle wheels (1:1)

If you want to see a lot of large .jpgs you can find them on the the following links:
http://forum.rcmodell.hu/index.php?topic=35304.0
or
http://users.atw.hu/sryforum/viewtopic.php?t=422&start=0 (which was mentioned earlier).

But please do not forget: If you want to see large jpgs always click on the picture and not on the text (in the topic and in the next step as well)... If you can't reach them I would be happy to download and send the pictures by mail.

BR / Ferenc