Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: paddle minesweeper  (Read 1398 times)

chas

paddle minesweeper
« on: April 07, 2008, 07:56:50 PM »
Hi all, I've been making model ships for a long time but have never made a paddler, very remiss of me. I have taken a fancy to HMS Atherstone, an early minesweeper. It was converted after the WW1 to the Lorna Doone. I have found some pictures of Lorna Doone, but only one of Athestone. Has anyone any ideas of where I can find some more details? especially of the sweeping gear. I would be glad of any advice and help with any aspect of the build. I'll post the images I have when I find out how to shrink the images to a manageable size.
 Chas

chas

Re: paddle minesweeper
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
I've resized a picture of what I want to build.
 Chas

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:00:37 AM »
Hello Chas, welcome to the forum  at least you've found the foremost resource for all paddlers. Keep us posted on the progress that you make on the build of the least inconspicuous smoke generator I'veseen a pic of  ;D

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline PJ

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:46:35 PM »
Hello Chas:
HMS Atherstone was a converted Racecourse Class paddle minesweeper and an article on her including some useful drawings can be found in the downloads section under:
Downloads>Magazines>Model Boats>1966, August where you will find three files of the article.

There's something new on the downloads which I haven't seen before which says:
New members (those with "Newbie" status) will not be able to download files until they have made a useful contribution to the website, either by posting messages, or providing suitable material our members can make use of.[/color]

So I'm now not sure if you'll be able to download these files as you've just arrived here.  You may need to contact a moderator if you want the files I suppose.

PJ Victoria, BC Canada

chas

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »
  Thanks guys for the encouragement. The reference to the 1960s magazine was a boon, I have a copy of the magazine which I found in a box of stuff from my younger days, it must have been about the first model mag I bought. I now have the basic lines and enough to make a start. My only problem is that I haven't finished my current project, a gentlemans electric yacht from Edwardian times. I always do this, get enthusiastic about the next model before I finish the current one. At least I can begin on the paddles etc as a change from all the varnishing I have to do.
  I'll keep you posted when I make a start, there is such a lot of help available here and I look forward to being able to access the download info.
   As for the smoke, I think they must have been burning old socks, and I've never heard of a unit for models that does that.......... Unless you know better.
 Chas

Offline AlistairD

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »
I have seen a lot of models of Racecourse class paddle minesweepers in museums over the years.
I know there is on in Glasgow Museum of Transport, and I think there is one in the National Maritime Museum, I forget where the rest were
Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland