Forum > General discussion (Large)

PV Sundowner Rebuild

(1/22) > >>

michael:
Well today was the first day under new ownership with the hull and engine being removed from present location to my place. With the help of a few friends, a crane, semi-loader and a couple of tractors the nightmare I had didn't come true and everything ran smoothll all in a couple of hours. Present I have the hull in the paddock waiting to be put in the shed. Engine in the shed about to be dismantled to see what condition its in, whether it can be re-used or not.

ljhall:

Hey Michael, - glad you got her to your place OK !  -  she looks much bigger in these photos !
I have some images of her from 1986/87/88 etc. but unfortunately they are all in slide format - no photos.
Then again, the Plowman Book of 2005 has a fairly decent photo of her in it.
I'm pretty sure she was built in 1981, by Basil Bryce, who also built the 'P.V. Colonial Lass', and I'm still thinking that her hull was ferro-concrete but this could have been an error, unless the hull was replaced at some stage.
She looks to be about 35 - 40 feet in length, so maybe a smaller deckhouse than the original one would be better.
Actually, where abouts did you find her ?

Good Luck with the re-building - you're sure going to be busy now !

Cheers,

Sean Bryan:
She is much bigger than I thought she was from the original photos.

Very exciting Michael-would have got back to you yesterday but I'd just got to a wedding!

Sean

michael:
At the moment I am thinking of leaving the hull as it is, except for a couple of sections need to be replaced from where the chain bent the chine when it was lifted from the river, put  a diesel in it, walk  though hull and cabin at the stern, open front and use a pleasure boat so will be like PS Murray Queen or Austria. The reason it sank was it was top heavy, I don't know how the hull managed with the superstructure as it actually isn't very big 10m long 2.6 at its widest.

Roderick Smith:
Michael and I are chatting about his plans offlist.  Stability, rather than space, has been an important issue.

As is, the Sundowner hull (10 m x 2.6 m) is little larger than Jessie II (9 m x 1.8 m), and is similar to the Mundoo update (9 m x 2.4 m) of my Tennessee hull.  The Mundoo can hold a double bed, a dinette for four (converting to guest beds), a kitchen, a toilet/shower and the wheelhouse.  Both styles achieve this by using walk-through hulls.

Stability issues have been explored elsewhere in Paddleducks.
* PV Eliza-Ann (page 4 of APAM lop1); search refused to find that post.  This recessed the lower deck into the hull, but then had an upper deck too.
PV Lady Rae (try a search).
Both are regarded as top heavy, and both have outrigger floats.

Somewhere else, the history of PS Ruby records that deckhands maintained trim on bends by rolling water-filled barrels from port to starboard (or vv) on curves.  This is similar to ballast tanks with high-speed pumps on modern roro ferries.  Ruby had a shallower draft than the other big passenger paddlesteamers.  The restoration has reduced the amount of superstructure on the third deck.

Potentially, Sundowner will be trailable, with a permit.  Most other paddleboats are too large.  'Murray Whaler', has given some insight into how PS Minimus is trailed.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version