Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Paddlesteamers on India Rivers  (Read 3770 times)

Offline Hankwilliams

Paddlesteamers on India Rivers
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »
Hello dear friends and neigbors,

there is something very interesting known about the situation of paddlewheelers on the Irrawaddy river and in Bangladesh.

But also for Indian rivers until the end of 1940s great paddlesteamers of the Irrawaddy type were built of Denny's, Yarrow and the Indian Garden Shippyard.
Is there anything known about steam driven or diesel driven paddlewheelers in India on river Ganges, Yamuna or Brahmaputra?
Short time ago in my bookshop I saw a new picture book about India. At one page two big paddlewheelers were shown (I think it was on river Yamuna).

if there are anything informations, plaese write!

Best regards

Thomas

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: Paddlesteamers on India Rivers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:23:53 PM »
Searching on 'India paddle' brings up my Jan.07 thread (in Research), which drew many responses, and another on a cute little mission paddlesteamer.

Alistair's book 'Directory of the world's steamships', 2007, lists:
Bangladesh: PS Kiwi
Kolkata: TSS Seva (ie not paddle)
Ganges/Ganga at Munger: PS Benares
Bhaagalpur?: SWA Falta
Myanmar: PS Myat Yadanar (or Ya Da Nar, it all depends on transliteration from Burmese script).  This one has had its own extensive coverage in other Paddleducks threads.
Myanmar: SS Salin (ie not paddle).

I don't know how you obtain the book in Europe.  My copy was mailed direct by the author as a thanks for my assistance with the Australian & NZ research.  Several of the photos were from my collection, or were supplied by my contacts when a sent out a special request.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 11:13:39 AM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 06:51:04 PM »
Hello Roderick,

Thanks for your information. It seems, that still a few sheamships in this big area has survieved.

Copies of plans of the 1948 Denny paddlesteamers "Minghi, Maha, Mindon, Minnan" are availible by the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. These boats must be similar to "Myat Yadana", built by Yarrow.

Greetings

Thomas

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »
I reread the original request: not just steamers were sought.
I should have mentioned the BIWC diesel paddle vessels, also covered in Paddleducks.
These were converted from steam.
Recent news has been discouraging: one out of service, with no money to repair it, and a reduced schedule in operation.
BIWC has been trying to obtain more-modern replacement vessels.

Within Paddleducks, search on Bangladesh or PV Ostrich, Tern/Turn, Lepcha, Mahood/Mahoud.  MV Sela was not paddle.
On Google, search on Bangladesh Inland Waterways Commission.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: Paddlesteamers on India Rivers - Indus River
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »
Indus River is the lifeline for Pakistan (as is Nile River for Egypt).
The headwaters are in India.  This could well explain most of the border friction and tension between the two, nothing to do with religion.  This is also an issue between China and south-east Asian neighbours, and is likely to loom larger between Queensland and southern states in Australia.

So much water is removed for irrigation and domestic supply, that the Indus looked quite unnavigable for through commerce in any reach when I toured Pakistan in 1988-89.  Navigation was restricted to fishing dinghies.

This photo dates to an era when it was all India:
http://picture.stockton.gov.uk/photos/S866.aspx
A view of a model of an Indus River troop-carrier paddlesteamer (built in 1861-62), on display in Preston Park Museum in 1956.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
Hello Roderick,

interesting model, it would be nice, to make a live steam model.

Of course I have read your excellent reports about the Bangladesh paddle vessels of June 2007.

I also think, that in this big and less known regions some 'til now unknown vessels are existing.
Hoping, the last running paddlevessels in Bangladesh and India are in use for some more years.

Regards

Thomas

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »
The model that Roderick posted in Preston Park Museum is still on display today - The museum is only about 3 miles from where I live, and I saw it there earlier this year.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~