Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: with you on this one  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
with you on this one
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:51:46 PM »
Hello all, and Mick, I'm agree with you all of the way as to your suggested imporvements and will keep you updatas to how much ballast she'll need to take it down to the proper waterline. The rudder should be a simple affair. Would you suggest independent motor control or go with one motor and a decent gearbox setup?

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline mjt60a

Tipstaff Drive System
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 06:41:51 AM »
Well, (and this is what I intend to try on my current model - and I do mean TRY as I haven't done it before... I'd use two motors connected to one speed control. I'd have a seperate servo for the rudder (which he doesn't have in Modelboats, relying on motor control to steer...) Each motor would have it's power supplied through a 'microswitch' on one side of the steering servo so that at (for example) full turn to port, the port motor will be disconnected (in my case, will have a large resistance connected in series with it) to assist with the turn. You could even have the polarity switched  to reverse the motor.
A I said, it's what I intend for the Freshwater model, I haven't tried it yet but the theory is sound, I think  :?
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
Control or lack of........
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 07:09:08 AM »
Well Mick your reasoning is sound. My concern on a model as short as this is if you only had one paddle thrashing the water would this not lead to a tendency to inversion at a rapid rate :oops: I can understand the slowing down but not the reversing of drive. I am quite happy for the tug to have a W  I  D   E  turning circle as I do not intend do any serious towing with it. Well certainly not the QE2 (joke) it is too big for anything without at least a 2 1/2lb bollard pull. and certainly having a rudder or even a pair of rudders working off of one servo should do the trick.

The glueing up started tonight with Skeg being laminated and Stempiece and Bulkhead 3 in position. Oh I can hardly wait ...

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Tipstaff Drive System
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 07:27:15 AM »
Just so we can keep things tidy, can we move to the "Drive Systems" area, or the "Construction" area (depending on the subject) for future posts please.

It just makes it easier for members to find info later....
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline mjt60a

Re: Control or lack of........
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 03:20:52 AM »
Quote from: "Red_Hamish"
...My concern on a model as short as this is if you only had one paddle thrashing the water would this not lead to a tendency to inversion at a rapid rate....

Well, in the article he says it handles exceptionally well using the paddles alone to steer so I imagine it wouldn't be any worse....
....it would have been good to discuss this in 'drive systems' or 'construction' - in case anyone else is thinking of using such a system of control or building the tipstaff, is it possible to transfer it there?
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Control or lack of........
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 03:39:04 AM »
Quote from: "mjt60a"
....it would have been good to discuss this in 'drive systems' or 'construction' - in case anyone else is thinking of using such a system of control or building the tipstaff, is it possible to transfer it there?

Consider it done Mick :-)
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~