Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Nile gunboats  (Read 4474 times)

Offline RickF

Nile gunboats
« on: November 11, 2007, 02:12:49 AM »
I have finally started drawing up the plans for my 1:32 scale model of the Nile Gunboat El Hafir.

There were four steamers in the class, built 1885. Tamai and El Teb (later El Hafir) built by Elder, Glasgow, and Abu Klea and Metemmeh, built by Yarrow at Poplar. Hafir was later converted to a passenger vessel, rebuilt in 1925 and sunk at Bah-al-Zaraf in 1941. Metemmeh was rebuilt in 1911 and again in 1925; discarded 1952 but still afloat in 1964 when used a University club house. Abu Klea was scrapped in the '30s. The fate of Tamai is not known.

Any information - particularly illustrations, will be greatly appreciated.

Rick[/i]

Offline Walter Snowdon

EL TATEH
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »
Hi Rick. If you go to the following site you will find specifications of El Fateh and a nice looking working model built by Bill Ellis.

www.wivenhoe.gov.uk/history/elfateh.htm

Hope this helps a bit. By the way, have you contacted the Imperial War Museuim in London- they will cetainly have photos of the gunboats in question. I have had some very obscure photos from them in the past. (they may even have a model or two in their hidden collection).
regards, walter.

Offline RickF

Nile gunboats
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 11:27:57 PM »
Thanks Walter, but El Fateh and her sisters were different, later ships. I've been in touch with Bill Ellis in the past - a very pleasant and helpful gent. I saw his model and planned to build one myself, but he had no plans. His was built from photographs and, in fact is screw driven with a dummy paddle wheel!

I have good plans and a few photos of the "Tamai" class, but it is what's going on down the back end under the canopy - the bit nobody photographs - that eludes me.

Rick

Offline malcolmbeak

Nile gunboats
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 08:56:32 PM »
Rick
Last night I was talking to a fellow society member (St.Albans) and he mentioned to me that he was going to build a model boat - I had to sit down because he is a dyed in the wool loco man - anyway, he says that he has plans for a nile gunboat, and it'd the El Teb. He isn't too sure where the drawings came from, but they appear to be copies of the Elder works drawings. He also has a book"The River War" by Winston Churchill. I don't know what plans you have, but thought you may be interested. If so, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him.
Malcolm

Offline RickF

Nile gunboats
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 11:32:15 PM »
Hi Malcolm,

The plans I have are from Elders. They are for Yard Numbers 307 and 308, which became "Tamai" and "El Teb" (later "El Hafir"). The other two in the class("Abu Klea" and "Metemmeh") were built by Yarrow.

I thought the plans came from you, about two years ago? I know you sent me something around then.

I have got the hull framed up and I'm now looking at the drive system. The two areas that I am short of information on are the Krupp gun and the engine(s). If your friend has anything on these, I would be interested to hear from him - or even if he just wants a chat.

Rick

Offline malcolmbeak

Nile gunboats
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 05:06:48 AM »
Hi Rick
I now remember that I sent you something a while ago - no wonder I couldn't find the stuff. My friends name is Les Johnson, and I think he has no more than you have. He tells me that he is going to sign up to the PD site, so hopefully he will contact you soon - I'll prod him a bit.
Malcolm

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: Nile gunboats
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 05:11:14 PM »
This link may be up in another thread: I'm not hunting.
https://www.melik.org.uk/discover/nile-gunboats
In particular: https://www.melik.org.uk/discover/nile-gunboats/send-a-gunboat, with a photo of PS Bordein.

Attached: Sudan - PS AbuKlea.
I didn't record source, and can't find it now.  It may even have been from this group.  I downloaded in 2013, and the photo has exif data 2008.

Roderick Smith

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
 :bravo :bravo

Offline Hankwilliams

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 06:15:18 PM »
Yesterday I got an very interesting book: "River Gunboats, An Illustrated Encyclopaedia" by Roger Branfill - Cook, Seaforth Publishing 2018.
It`s really a mine for everyyone, who is interestet at this line of marine history and modelling.

Thomas