Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Kit information?  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Walter Snowdon

Kit information?
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:16:27 AM »
Attached is a scan taken from Marine Modelling International magazine, dated June 1991. Does anyone know anything about this kit? Did it ever go into production?

I have the Sovereign Models kit of the City of Bath, and would like to trace one of these to go with it if possible - Can anyone help??

Offline Steam Water

• Rapid Fire Steam Machine
Kit information?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 08:10:04 AM »
Hi Walter

This Sovereign kit is absolutely a mess beyond belief . The hull was not strait and one side seemed to be longer plus all hull detail was very badly done
          I have not seen this kit around for 15 years or so. Good luck if you do find one and try to build it..It went into production but I don't think for long.

Terry . 
  -------Original Message-------

Date: 05/25/07 11:16:56
 To: kits@paddleducks.co.uk (kits@paddleducks.co.uk)
 Subject: Kit information?

Attached is a scan taken from Marine Modelling International magazine, dated June 1991. Does anyone know anything about this kit? Did it ever go into production?

I have the Sovereign Models kit of the City of Bath, and would like to trace one of these to go with it if possible - Can anyone help??

Offline Walter Snowdon

Sovereign kit.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:12 AM »
Thanks for the reply terry- did you have this kit or know someone who has?. i dont know how I missed it first time round ! I would love to see a set of plans and instructions. The City of bath was a bit like your description, though the hull was quite good and the etched brass was excellent. I have built it, replacing everything except the hull and etchings! If you know someone who has the DANUBE kit, could you put me in touch as I would love a copy of the plan or photos of the kit contents or built up model. Thanksagain, Walter.

Offline Steam Water

• Rapid Fire Steam Machine
Kit information?
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 03:15:31 AM »
Hi Walter, I do have this kit of the DANUBE and the CITY OF BATH . I have not built the CITY of BATH as yet do to too much other work but the DANUBE planes I do not have at this time and yes I built the Danube and had a lot of problems wit it, though the etched brass and wood where very good the hull was extremely bad. 

Offline kiwimodeller

Kit information?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
I have a Sovereign Models hull for the Lady Sarah steam launch  which was equally poorly made! It was asymetrical, uneven height on each side and rippled!  Took a lot of work to get it half way respectable. It is no wonder they did not stay in business.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

andygh

Kit information?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:55:09 PM »
Sorry ti hi-jack the thread but have any of you managed to get City of Bath to float? I would very much like to install RC in mine but it is proving difficult to get it sitting at the correct level :oops:

I was intending to fit meccano pulleys to gear an electric motor down to the correct speed but this is itself quite heavy, any ideas of lightweight propulsion would be welcome

Offline Walter Snowdon

City Of Bath.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:23:35 PM »
Hi Andy. The model will require an external ballast keel.I have test floated mine in its unfinished state and it it VERY tender. I think that the wooden spine moulded ino the hull is there for this very purpose. I have cast a lead keel ready for fitting. What I did was to put all the equipment into the hull and then added ballast to get it to the correct waterline, Weigh the ballast and that will give you the weight you require for the lead keel. I used a thick wood offcut for the mould, adding quarter inch scrap pinned to it to the shape I required for the keel. Mellt lead and pour in, the srap beading will give a guide to thickness. I have made one-off wooden moulds for many years without any catching fire. It scorches and smells a bit, but is easy to do and practical. Remember moulten lead is dangerous- wear eye protection and thick gloves. If you drill two holes on the beading where the keel meats the hull, you can thread long  bolts or  threaded rod through before pouring the lead and this gives a permanent method of fixing to the hull allowing the keel to be unbolted if required. Hope this helps. Incidentaly, I have seen videos of two different city of Bath models and both had external keels about three inches deep,  four inches long and about quarter inch thick. Walter.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Kit information?
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 07:28:24 PM »
Hi PD's ....our NZ mate Tony posted some years back of using lead shot....1.0 mm diameter lead spheres as used by the GUN shot reloading fraternity.....then lay two layers of clingwrap in each ballast cavity

Pour the Pb grains :hammer & then flood with epoxy resin & hey BINGO......removable ballast blocks...& each unique to it's own location

Oh BTY.......how are things in NZ Tony?????????????????? :nah  &  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

andygh

Kit information?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »
Sorry, reading that back I didn't make myself clear, my problem is excessive weight.
Perhaps some kind of buoyancy keel might work, what about a strip of cork or something that can be disguised/painted on the underside of the hull? Has anyone ever heard of anything like that being done?

Thanks for the advice by the way, much appreciated

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Kit information?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 09:28:18 AM »
Hi PD's.....Andy in PD's anything can happen  :hammer - go to a supplier of surf board foam [NOT POLYSTYRENE]  :rant get an off cut the size just bigger than the plan foot print of your hull

Shape it to roughly contour the profile to the underside of the vessels hull...bond with KARFIL automotive panel BOG, then shape & blend...literally you have just added XX mm of additional
DRAFT/Depth of hull = extra buoyancy etc

After a few bath tub tests you can use woven glass fiber cloth & resin to coat the new hull surface....the left over KARFIL bog is great for filling in holes & low spots, then lots of sanding & a bit of spray paint & no one will know but YOU.....& us  :music   :luck

Oh BTW....KARFIL bog is a relatively dense material = [some would say as similar to some PD members :hehe ].. so if you need  an un-intentional sized dollop on one side, make sure you use a similar sized intentional dollop on the other side to balance
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

andygh

Kit information?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 11:01:34 PM »
Cheers Derek, that sounds like a plan. I'm not sure if I'll find many surfboard makers round Luton  :cry:  but you never know.
An increase in draft certainly sounds like the way to go though, thanks

Sorry, should have said, I'm in the UK

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Kit information?
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 11:03:50 PM »
An alternative is to use a sheet of 1/2" balsa, or the foam that is used for insulating interior walls - It is dense, carves nicely to shape, and the foil backing just peels off.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

andygh

Kit information?
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 08:19:55 AM »
Eddy

Those materials might be easier to find, thanks again

andygh

Kit information?
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 04:18:59 AM »
Just noticed this in the downloads section, great stuff

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/dlman.php?folder_id=64

Offline paddlesteamer

Re: Kit information?
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
Hi I am fairly new to Paddle Ducks but I came across your post from a while ago. I have a model of The City Of Bath paddle steamer which I bought many years ago. At the time I had to motorize it as the builder had it running on a rubber band system. I managed to use two motors one for each paddle with reduction gear wheels. It worked very well. The hull seems to be a double one which is a wooden structure and I think it was a plank on frame construction. I have used the model for many years and have had a lot of pleasure from it. I came across a magazine Marine Modelling February 1991 which featured the model. According to this there was a kit advertised from Sovereign Models but I don't know if it was ever in production. I hope very much that you receive this message and please get in touch with me if you do. I can always send you a picture. With Kind Regards Colin Duerden