Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: FREE PADDLER PLAN.  (Read 6603 times)

Offline Walter Snowdon

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« on: February 13, 2007, 01:00:45 AM »
Hi All, I have just had word from the editor of Marine Modeling International of a free plan for a sidewheel paddler which should interest our Australian members Particularly.
 The April issue of MMI will have a free plan for a Darling River sidewheeler  which will be suppoorted by a fourteen picture build sequence. I have seen an advance picture and it looks pretty good! So, one to look out for!  regards, Walter.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 08:27:25 PM »
Here's a rendered image of the Aussie paddler free plan which will be featured in the April issue of Marine Modelling magazine...
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Roderick Smith

Free Aussie plan
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 08:59:35 PM »
That free plan is remarkably good in interpreting the Australian vernacular.
If it had been put up unlabelled, I think that we would have guessed the inspiration.
Unfortunately, in showing the reflection in the water, there is a misleading impression of the hull depth and amount of freeboard.
I have a feeling that the funnel is too far rear for the scale of boat: a real Aussie design would have had it further forwards.
People who have been following the two APAM threads in the Research forum should be gaining a sense of the Australian vernacular.  The design elements evolved to meet the conditions, and succeeded.  Climate, fuel, work duties, river conditions: true engineering beauty comes from fitness for purpose.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:04:11 PM »
The good thing about a fairly generic plan is that it can be taken as the basis and then played with to give a decent representation of a number of different boats - You don't have to stick 100% to the original drawings, how many real boats are 100% as originally drawn? very few I'll bet! :)
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline anth

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:06:35 PM »
move the whole top deck forward and the funnel more central as roderick said and yes very similar to our own boats.

Still looks like a smart little boat :wink:

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 10:32:57 PM »
Goodness PD's -  :offtopic .. JenAnne Render.jpg - just as our European PD members treasure the tradition from their respective shipyards/waterways/vessels, so do we our OZ members in our ways

I acknowlwdge the 3D representation 'could' be assumed as an OZ paddler.... however even it were a FREE plan I doubt  :nono that any self respecting  :yeah OZ PD member would  :nose & waste their time in such a project when we have  :great real plans from 'Float a Boat' here in OZ -  :angel - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Bob Golder

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:28:43 AM »
Having surveyed the great Oz threads I must admit the generic Oz style is beginning to grow on me.  The free plan, suitably amended following our aussie members advice, is one that even I could folow :? .  It may even provide a basis for a small fleet of ersatz aussie paddlers in our club.  What do you reckon Walter? Eddy?
Cheers from Bob Golder

Offline mjt60a

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 08:14:31 AM »
It looks good, I'll watch out for that issue  :D
As has been said, it doesn't look '100% accurate' as such but I thought the two in Model Boats were similar - neither had main deck-level passageways between superstructure and paddleboxes, for example - but look simple for a beginner to attempt, and easy enough for a more experienced builder to use as a basis for a more detailed model...
(I wonder if this paddle-wheeled model was in any way inspired by the two articles in MB?)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Walter Snowdon

FREE PADDLER PLAN
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:16:39 PM »
Hi Folks, Dont take the illustration too literaly - its computer generated and looks to be retouched so it just gives a general idea of  its appeerance.

I think you missed the point Derek!. This is a FREE plan aimed at the beginners or passing interest end of the hobby and as such is designed for ease of build and further embelishments can be added! For me, anything that draws new modellers into the hobby is worthwhile. I am all for it- anything which brings new blood into the hobby is worth its weight in gold. We need plans that youngsters can happily tackle as the big problem with modelling is that the vast majority of us are getting on a bit!!!. I bet that the average age of paddleduck membership  is hovering around the 65 - 68 years of age.

Come on Marine Modelling, bring it on and follow it up with a simple Swiss or Nile paddler!  Regards, Walter.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 12:34:50 AM »
Hi PD's  :beer , sorry but I must disagree Walter...having such a generic plan would lead to......

For revision to lenght just  :hammer a bit
For revision to width just  :hammer a bit
To move the paddle shaft just  :hammer a bit

So in the end a novice builder would be :thinking  :sob  :nono that is not what I thought it would look like  :rant

I do agree we need to foster/help interest in younger people re the construction of model paddle steamers however real or actual plans are tangeable - not some sort of Kellogs Corn Flakes free plan inside the box...............if you buy 20 packets .... :music  - Derek  :)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline mjt60a

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 04:01:40 AM »
I saw this issue in the shops today (didn't have the money, might buy a copy tomorrow...) and had a quick look inside, I was surprised to read the intro to the article accompanying the plan, where it says something like 'This now defunct type of vessel which used to sail on the murray.....'
Posted by Mick.

jock

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 10:19:21 PM »
Going to have to wait for this the Feb issue turned up in the newsagency today

Offline mjt60a

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 04:50:47 AM »
I bought the mag a couple of weeks ago, the method of construction is very similar to Tipstaff and Phantom...  :)
Posted by Mick.

jock

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 10:23:14 PM »
Got the March issue today one more month :darn

Offline Sean Bryan

FREE PADDLER PLAN.
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »
defunct....

Hmmmmm someone hasn't read up on Aussie paddlers.

Anyone that hasn't guessed yet it is quite clearly based on Adelaide. Including the sunken cabin in the rear.

However please please please if you make this model do not put the incredibly pitched roof on that back cabin.
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com