Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Need mini turnbuckles.  (Read 14015 times)

Bill Hudson

Need mini turnbuckles.
« on: February 03, 2007, 05:21:32 AM »
I'm looking for a source mini (working) turnbuckles some some where in the 3/4" length on  threaded shafts of about 3/64"  (I believe that is near 1.19 mm.) diameter wire. The turnbuckle could be of aluminum or other metal (needs to be paintable) as long as the wire is steel or brass and can be soldered.  

Bill

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 05:42:46 AM »
Almost anywhere that stocks model yacht fittings should be able to help Bill - The yacht guys use miniature turnbuckles to tension the stays supporting the mast. They are normally made from brass....
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Bill Hudson

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 09:54:28 AM »
Quote from: "Eddy Matthews"
Almost anywhere that stocks model yacht fittings should be able to help Bill - The yacht guys use miniature turnbuckles to tension the stays supporting the mast. They are normally made from brass....

Any names?  I rarely have dealt with model ship companies.  I am a scratch builder.   In the past I have always built my own but with the hand surgery and progressing nerve damage to my hands I want to take some short cuts to finish my ongoing project (commission) so I can get paid for it.  
I do have left hand taps and dies for 2-56 but that it too large. Time needed to hunt down a smaller size LH t&d would take almost as long as to just order the turnbuckles if I can find them.  May have to resort to Google.
 :darn

Bill

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 09:59:07 AM »
I only know UK suppliers Bill, but one company that could certainly help is Scoonie Hobbies in Scotland, their web address is:

http://www.scoonie-hobbies.co.uk/

Click on "Contacts", and then email Andy - He will certainly be able to answer any questions you may have.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

sandy_ACS

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 10:08:31 AM »
:D  :D

Hi Bill,

You could try DVA Platt Models

Copyright © 2001 Dave Platt Models Inc.
1306 Havre N.W., Palm Bay, Florida
(321) 724 - 2144

www.daveplattmodels.com

He caters for scale model builders, mostly aircraft...but may well have some turnbuckles as used on scale model bi-planes, for rigging wires.

Best regards.

Sandy.  :D  :D

Walter Cooper

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 10:39:19 AM »
Hello Bill,this is my first time writeing to our group.I have been mostly a lurker.Do you live in the US?I will put together a few web addresses for you to locate these turnbuckles.Walter 

Bill Hudson <accessories@paddleducks.co.uk> wrote:  

Eddy Matthews wrote:

Any names? I rarely have dealt with model ship companies. I am a scratch builder. In the past I have always built my own but with the hand surgery and progressing nerve damage to my hands I want to take some short cuts to finish my ongoing project (commission) so I can get paid for it.
I do have left hand taps and dies for 2-56 but that it too large. Time needed to hunt down a smaller size LH t&d would take almost as long as to just order the turnbuckles if I can find them. May  have to resort to Google.

Bill

Walter Cooper

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
Hello Bill,here are a few site that offer brass turnbuckles.Modelers Shipyard http://www.modelshipyard.com.au/products.asp?id=102 Hobby World http://www.hobbyworldinc.com/woodshipfit.html Blue Jacket Ship Crafters http://www.bluejacketinc.com/fittings/fittings6.htm  Nature Coast Hobbies http://naturecoast.com/hobby/hfit11.htm I hope these help you out,Walter  

WALTER A COOPER <accessories@paddleducks.co.uk> wrote:  
         Hello Bill,this is my first time writeing to our group.I have been mostly a lurker.Do you live in the US?I will put together a few web addresses for you to locate these turnbuckles.Walter 

Bill Hudson <accessories@paddleducks.co.uk> wrote:

:

Eddy Matthews wrote:

Any names? I rarely have dealt with model ship companies. I am a scratch builder. In the past I have always built my own but with the hand surgery and progressing nerve damage to my hands I want to take some short cuts to finish my ongoing project (commission) so I can get paid for it.
I do have left hand taps and dies for 2-56 but that it too large. Time needed to hunt down a smaller size LH t&d would take almost as long as to just order the turnbuckles if I can find them. May have to resort to Google.

Bill

Bill Hudson

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 04:14:56 PM »
Walter and all,

Thanks for the fast replies.  I will give the US ones a try Monday. Will save me lots of work.  

I have a commission to build a 1910 Creators horse drawn popcorn wagon to built in 1/12th scale. it has been ongoing for several years.  It is a commission for a museum. The wagon is highly detailed with a little steam engine, Poppers that have moveable lids with rosewood handles, a little clown that turns a clear drum full of peanuts and a whole lot more stuff in it.  
It has been a real challenge of my talents, pushing me to my very limits and beyond.  I even had to build a glass beveling machine to bevel some twenty glass panes ranging from a half inch long to three inches long.  

I know it is not at all On Topic for Paddleducks but I would be happy to post some pictures of it in progress (on a temporary basis) if any one is interested in seeing them.  

Horse drawn vehicles have been my mainstay for the last few years.  Now that I am retired from commercial model building (as soon as this commission gets done) i am more than ready to get building on my live steam engines and boats for them.

Bill

crash93

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 09:57:52 PM »
try Marten, Howes & Baylis

http://www.model-steam-boats.co.uk/

Bill Hudson

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 04:41:21 AM »
M.H.&B has some really fine looking boats. Thanks for the URL.  
What is a Windermere kettle?

Bill

Barrie

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 06:05:13 AM »
What is a Windermere kettle?

Hi Bill, A Windermere kettle is a device for boiling water using the steam from the boiler of a steam launch. So named after our largest lake - Windermere - where I guess is was first used in the elegant steam launches which used to operate on the lake.

Barrie

crash93

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 11:42:30 AM »
It uses a coil inside the kettle run from the boiler .same way that some central heating systems heat water.

Peter

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
Hi PD's - so close but so far :twisted:

http://www.model-steam-boats.co.uk/

Go to the 'Boat Fittings' page & am I pretty sure the second from the right on the top line would be a 'Windermere kettle'

Naturally originally designed for cups of "Twinnings" tea whilst afloat in the local lake on a Sunday afternoon  :bow , but  no Gerald  :nono , cups of  :coffee were not permitted  :darn - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Roderick Smith

Windermere kettle
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 02:39:49 PM »
For a photo, go to the forum
General discussion (Large)
and look at the thread Larger paddler construction
On page 4, I posted a photo of one on a New Zealand steam launch.
I suspect that the technology is fairly widespread.  IIRC PS Billy Tea (Echuca, Australia) has one.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Capt'n Crunch

Need mini turnbuckles.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
Take a look at Hobby-Lobby. This is the radio control model company, not the arts and crafts Hobby Lobby. Search for it using the "-" in between the words and you'll find it. They have some nice ones under the model airplane accessory page. There are Graupner and Kavan brands in the sizes you're looking for.