Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Bob Golder

P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:08:57 AM »
Hi again all.  Here are  four photos of another of Walter's paddlers with his comments on the model.
Cheers from Bob Golder

Offline Bob Golder

P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 03:10:28 AM »
OOPS! Wrong again.  I forgot to add Walter's comments so here they are.

City of Bristol was built in 1827 for the War office Steam Packet Company of Bristol to run troops and convicts to and from Ireland as well as civilian cargoes and Passengers. She sank during a storm near Worms head in 1840 with a heavy loss of life. 166 years later her two engines and paddle shaft still stick out of the sands at low tide- Quite earie! ( I have actualy touched them). Model is powered by two geared motors driving independent wheels via chain drive. and still has a lot to be added includind topsail schooner rig, Walter.
Cheers from Bob Golder

andygh

P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:26:12 AM »
Hi, looks like a nice job, is it built from the Sovreign kit?
Cheers, Andy

Offline Walter Snowdon

PS City Of Bristol
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »
Thanks Andy. You guessed it- it started out as the Sovereign kit for the City Of Bath which never existed, I think drawn up from a set of plans originaly published in Model boats in the 1960s? which I believe were based on a model in the Science museum purporting to be the City of Bristol but which is almost certainly a near sister the PS Killarney.
There is very little of the kit left in the model other than the hull and etched brass wheels and fittings. the funnel and boiler are rolled from Litho plate , with the rivets and plate lapping embossed from the inside. masts and spars are made out of sections of fishing rod with the finish paint scraped of to the brown fibre tube- looks suprisingly like close grained wood!. suprisingly light as with a narrow hull like this you need to save topweight as much as possible.
 it is fitted with independent drive to each  wheel, driven by chain.
 The model is at dead stop at the moment as we are refitting the model club and I do all my building there under very spartan conditions. I have promised myself that it will be finished this year so watch this space!!!.
For anyone interested in paddlers of the 1820s 1830s, I would recomend a small book called PADDLE STEAMER SHIPWRECKS OF THE BRISTOL CHANNEL. It is full of a wealth of detail on paddle packet ships and an exhaustive research into their losses.
I visited Bristol art gallery in september of last year and looked at several oil paintings they have with detailed portraits of bristol channel paddlers and i have to incorporate some of those details into the model.Regards, Walter.

andygh

P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »
Hi Walter, I have 90% finished my effort with the kit, built as City of Bath. I'm very interested to know how your paddle drive is set out, I've not really settled on a plan yet myself, did you use Meccano chain?.

I also noticed that the paddle boxes on your model have semi-open sides, mine are closed in as per the kit instructions but I think yours look better.

Cheers, Andy

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 08:48:43 PM »
Hello,

I build the "City of Bristol" in 1992 and make she steamdriven with a simple Wilesco engine and the horizontal boiler by KRICK.
The stability of the model was not very good because of the narrow hull and even the masts and heavy materials of the deck. In the beginning she was rather top loadet.

To make a better performance of the model, it is necessery to put rather much ballast at the deepest level of the hull,
but this alone will be not enough, it´s even useful to replace the thick material of the deck by thin and leight plywood.

In addition it may be good for furher stability to short the masts - but this would be less original.

After 2 years I removed the steam plant and use the boat only as static model for which in my opinion she is much better suitable.

Regards

Thomas

Offline Hankwilliams

Re: P S "CITY OF BRISTOL"
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 06:57:10 AM »
Hi friends and neighbors,

Very long time ago.
Now I visited my mother at her 88 th. birthday. At this opportunity I made some pictures of "Chocktaw" (Chaperon) and the "City of Bristol" from Sovereign models, built in 1992. Last boat got a simple Wilesco steamplant when I finished her. Some times I had some joy sailing her on small lakes and calm rivers. The nautic stability wasn`t very good and the steam plant was rather weak.
So since long time she is together with "Chocktaw" a static paddler without propulsion.

Thomas