Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Argentina paddlesteamers  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Roderick Smith

Argentina paddlesteamers
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:14:39 PM »
Somebody is looking for plans for a train ferry to build.
I don't have plans, but I do have photos of the two based at Posadas (Argentina) to convey carriages and wagons to Encarnacion (Paraguay), taken in Jan.85 when one of the two was steamed every Wednesday.  Construction on a replacement bridge was in progress.
I have them scanned, but I can't find them on the hard drive.
I have four from a friend (possibly Paddleducker Alistair) or from a website (the source is uncertain); I can't find them either.
I passed through Posadas in 1994-95 or a later holiday, without spending the night there.  My bus crossed on the new bridge.
Others report that the ferries are still moored at Posadas.

Just edited (Friday evening, Australian time) to add the first of my fresh scans.  I can't find the notes either.  IIRC the engines were from Inglis in Glasgow, Scotland.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline AlistairD

Argentina paddlesteamers
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:40:37 AM »
and here is another

----- Original Message -----
   To: preserved@paddleducks.co.uk (preserved@paddleducks.co.uk)    
   Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 2:14    AM
   Subject: Argentina paddlesteamers

Somebody is looking for plans for a train ferry to    build.
I don't have planes, but I do have photos of the two based at    Posadas (Argentina) to convey carriages and wagons to Encarnacion (Paraguay),    taken in 1984-85 when one of the two was steamed every Wednesday. Construction    on a replacement bridge was in progress.
I have them scanned, but I can't    find them on the hard drive.
I have four from a friend (possibly    Paddleducker Alistair) or from a website (the source is uncertain); I can't    find them either.
I passed through Posadas in 1994-95 or a later holiday,    without spending the night there. My bus crossed on the new bridge.
Others    report that the ferries are still moored at    Posadas.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria    Editor

-------------------- m2f    --------------------

Exported by Paddleducks Mail System.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10373#10373

--------------------    m2f --------------------

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Offline Walter Snowdon

Arrgentinian paddler APALO.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 07:38:20 PM »
Hi Folks, if you look in my photo album on paddleducks you will find several pictures of a model of a beautiful paddler built on the clyde for Argentina. The model is incredible but sadly out of view of the public in a museums hidden collection. She is named APALO and this is the shipyard model.  Regards, Walter.

Offline AlistairD

Argentina paddlesteamers
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
Many years ago, I think I saw that  model in the stored collection when the museum, and I assume it is Glasgow  Museum of Transport you are referring to, was in the old tram depot in  Coplaw Drive, along with a number of other models.

At one time Glasgow Museums published a  series of books with a listing of all their ship models

I hope that with the move to a new  building at the site of the former A & J Inglis yard, some of these will be  restored and put on display.

I understand an extension is being built to the facility at  Nitshill to enable the Transport Museum's reserve collection to go on public  display

APOLO was built, as far as I remember for Saturnino Ribes who  was a rival to the La Platense Flotilla Company

Alistair

----- Original Message -----
   To: preserved@paddleducks.co.uk (preserved@paddleducks.co.uk)    
   Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 8:38    AM
   Subject: RE: Argentina    paddlesteamers

Hi Folks, if you look in my photo album on paddleducks    you will find several pictures of a model of a beautiful paddler built on the    clyde for Argentina. The model is incredible but sadly out of view of the    public in a museums hidden collection. She is named APALO and this is the    shipyard model. Regards, Walter.

-------------------- m2f    --------------------

Exported by Paddleducks Mail System.

http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10864#10864

--------------------    m2f --------------------

Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Offline Roderick Smith

Posadas, recent news
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 09:19:07 AM »
I was at the Melbourne launch of the film of the restoration of sailing ship 'James Craig' a couple of weeks ago.
One guest was a cruise-ferry owner who had just returned from Argentina, and had inspected the two withdrawn steam-powered train ferries at Posadas.
They remain, deteriorating and neglected.  The fine Scottish boilers & engines have been stripped of every removable fitting of value.
He had been hoping to contact the current owner, but I think that he was unable to ascertain who the owner is (not helped by having only limited/no Spanish).

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Roderick Smith

Re: Argentina paddlesteamers
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 06:22:04 PM »
Here is a contrasting report, from an Aug.09 railway-group tour, which visited Posadas.

www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/samerica04.htm
The two paddle steamer train ferries are well cared for, access was permitted to Roque Saenz Pena (A&J Inglis Yard No. 298/1911), but the second Ezequiel Ramos Mejia, also an Inglis product, remains unidentified. Members of the Museo Ferrobarcos, were working on site, but said a works plate had not been located. Someone must know surely?

I am almost certainly going to be in Argentina and Paraguay in April.  I can't necessarily make Posadas a priority, but I should be passing through (I have done it before: Salta - Iguacu via Posadas by bus, passing around midnight).

My aim was to cruise a quarter of Amazon River, but it doesn't fit.  I am now looking at cruising Parana River (no success: have to be in Brazil) or Paraguay River (looks optimistic).  I am now chasing the paddleboat discussed here a couple of months ago: it may be Brazil.

Unless there are two vessels, it must be Benjamin Guimaraes on Sao Franciso River.  Wood fired.  I am having no luck with prices, but it seems to be expensive, and with more time spent off the boat than on it.
www.ewaterways.com/ShipDetail/Gallery/?mode=Live&itin=491&itineraryID=491&shipID=631

Apart from the price, I can't see how I can fit the distance into my available time.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:44:50 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
There are also two threads in the Research forum.

Steamships in South America
http://www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3386.0

Paraguay is now running in its own separate thread.
www.paddleducks.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5063.0
Paraguay (fake?) paddle vessel

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Bill Worden

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
A firend was in Poasadas in February and reports that one of the train ferries is amuseum and the other a boat club.

Bill Worden

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
 850122Tu Paran River at Posadas (Argentina): Train ferries PS Exequiel Ramos Meija & PS Roque Saenz Pea. (Roderick Smith)

Roderick.

Offline DamienG

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 07:37:26 PM »
 :great :great :great :great