Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Water fed smoke units  (Read 9728 times)

Offline Peter Webster

Water fed smoke units
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:54:15 PM »
Some time ago someone mentioned a smoke unit that used water and a misting system does anyone remember this as a friend of mine wants to try one one his large tugboat "Lady Woes". He can't use the units I use as they are gravity fed and he does'nt have room
Peter Webster

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Water fed smoke units
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 12:48:43 AM »
The units your looking for are made by JJC Electronics Peter - A quick Google search will find their website...
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Barry

Water fed smoke units
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 12:44:59 AM »
Would anyone know if JJC are still in business. Neither I or the Australian agent can get any reply from him.

bogstandard

Water fed smoke units
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 02:16:51 AM »
Supposedly he is a very busy chappie (or has gone bump)
Anyone wanting to purchase any of his equipment, ie sound boards or smoke units usually source them from Westbourne Models in the UK, but it looks like they are not supplying for much longer. Maybe email them and they can advise.

John

Offline steamboatmodel

Water fed smoke units
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 02:26:30 AM »
Hi All,
There are a number of Hallowen decorations in the stores which produce fog using just water. One of them might be hackable into a smoke unit. I am going to look after Halloween to see if there are any on sale at a cheep price.
Regards,
Gerald
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

ajg141

Water fed smoke units
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:01:06 AM »
These units are also available from Scoonie Hobbies:
http://www.scoonie-hobbies.co.uk/
- at least they were when I was last over there. I have seen them operating and they are impressive. I believe JJC are expected to be at the International Model Boat Show in Leamington Spa on 9-11 November.

Andrew

oldie

Water fed smoke units
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 05:54:27 PM »
Jim Casey (JJC) has not been contactable for some time,so don`t bet on him being there.   Oldie

Offline Tug--Kenny

Re: Water fed smoke units
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »

Just bringing this topic back to life.

I have aquired a JJC smoke machine and it works very well indeed. I'm impressed with it. What a pity JJC have closed down. We know there is a market for these devices.

My main reason for writing is that this unit has the plugs and controls for a 'Sound unit'.

I am now trying to find one, or at least see someone's, so that I can complete the set for my proposed Waverley. 

I may go the MP3 route if the electronic version is hard to find, but I would have liked to have proportion speed control if possible.

Can you help please

Ken

Despite the high cost of living,
                    it still remains popular.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 10:52:22 PM »
JJC did a three cylinder compound steam engine sound module - The digital sound was an actual recording of the Waverleys engines, you can clearly hear the beat of the paddles if you listen to it carefully.

The only problem is finding one now that JJC have ceased trading :(

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline chipmonk

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »

Just bringing this topic back to life.

I have acquired a JJC smoke machine and it works very well indeed. I'm impressed with it. What a pity JJC have closed down. We know there is a market for these devices.

My main reason for writing is that this unit has the plugs and controls for a 'Sound unit'.

I am now trying to find one, or at least see someones, so that I can complete the set for my proposed Waverley. 

I may go the MP3 route if the electronic version is hard to find, but I would have liked to have proportion speed control if possible.

Can you help please

Ken

Hi Ken I have a JJC steam engine sound unit going spare as it were. I was going to put it in my model of the "Vic Vietri" ,a Murray river steamer but as I built her at 1:35 she is too small. I'm not sure which steam engine sound module it is but it is self contained with the unit, controls and a power amp. It has variable speed and volume. And can be connected with a speed controller for variable speed. Any good to you?
Cheers Chris.
"While you're here, can you just"

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »

That's the very one, Mr Chipmonk  (it's not Chris Monk is it ???)

I've just bought some Paddlewheels on Ebay from the very same name !!!

Lucky or what  ;D ;D ;D   I'll have it.

Can you Email  me privately if so.

Cheers...Ken

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 06:02:52 AM »

There is nothing like reviving an old topic, and this is nothing like it.

Things have moved on in the imitation smoke department.

I have been working on this subject and came up with a smoke unit that would look similar to a real boiler. There is a write up somewhere on Paddleducks, but would you believe I couldn't find it.

To refresh the subject, here is the prototype that I built for MMB, here in the UK.  (picture 1)

The jigs have been made and we are proud to show you our designs.

The first one is a vertical boiler type and is constructed from Fibreglass and plastic and has an intregal blower fan to send the 'steam' up the flue. This unit runs on pure water and a 24 volt DC supply. There is no heat involved and it lasts for about 45 minutes.

The main advantage is that no boiler certicate is required as there is minimal pressure and no heat.  MMB are retailing them at 99.  (picture 2)

There is a second version, and this has a horizontal boiler. This is constructed the same way and will sit on a cradle. The price is the same as the one above. They will be made to order as they don't know the level of interest at the moment.   (picure 3)

Picure 4 shows them together, so that you compare shapes and sizes.

MMB can be contacted on 01633 431010

thank you for looking

ken

Offline Peter Webster

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
Just slightly off topic I have seen the unit by Harbour Models of the USA in action as my mate Mike bought one and tried it out, only in statically, just before he died and it's performance was outstanding, this is not water powered but uses the old method of distillate. I have 2 of the "Super Smoke Generators" from Action Electonics in my Captain Sturt sternwheeler and although very effective, the only problem is they are gravity fed so you need a large vessel. The oil I use is a "Home Brand" baby oil, I ignore the strange looks I get when buying in boxes of 12 each year,
following advise from the late Craig Talbot from Action Electonics. Iwas wondering if anyone has tried this in a Harbour Models unit. Their address is
http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/main_pages/smoker.htm
and they have a video clip which shows the unit in action
Peter W  :beer

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 10:03:16 AM »
Don't be alarmed PD's........:sorry - Derek
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:43:12 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Barry

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 10:56:25 PM »
Hi Ken, What size is the horizontal 'boiler'?
Barry.