Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: feathering paddle wheels  (Read 7843 times)

paddlesteamerman1

feathering paddle wheels
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:17 PM »
Ahhhhhh... Rightio then!!

I have actually heard that term before now I know the meaning! And the Murray paddlers HAD to do it quite often due to our country's little problem of LACK OF WATER!!!

So it would have put to much strain on feathering paddle wheels because of the floats were not fixed to the wheel and they would have been more prone to bending and snapping.

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
feathering paddle wheels
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:28 PM »
Hi PD's -----just studying up a little in anticipation of/for my unfinished  :hammer feathering paddle set courtesy of e-bay... & am wondering :?:

1) Drawing "DRG No PW6A" - being full sized dimensions for "PS Waverley Year 1931" - End Elevation view provides a clear dimension of 1 1/4" eccentric height axis above that of the paddle wheel axis

2) "Drawing M9 - sh2" - "Accessories for a Diagonal Paddle Wheel Engine" by [the renound] Edgar T Westbury [not dated but assumed as late 50's] confirms that the eccentric axis height AND the paddle wheel axis height are equal

.... @ 1:25 scale this 1 1/4" is only some [0.050" or 1.25 mm] so not sure what this is all about..... but assume it must be some mathmatical/geometry to further improve paddle blade entry.....to ..... exit.............etc

However I would be interested to listen to any comment offered - Derek  :beer
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au