Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Jessie II (a Bolger Tennessee)  (Read 48155 times)

Offline Roderick Smith

Jessie II (a Bolger Tennessee)
« on: October 30, 2006, 06:54:38 PM »
The Tennessee Riverboat design is one of many from the prolific USA designer Phil Bolger (google for sites, including five ones on yahoo.groups).  It is designed for the home builder, using simple shapes in marine ply to create an effect reminiscent of the 1930s.  There are about 20 in Australia, where the style was popularised by Duck Flat Wooden Boats (www.duckflatwoodenboats.com).  Most are built to order, and the owner can share part of the construction work with the professionals.
Mine is c1994.  A feature is the polished ply interior, apparently the work of the first owner.  The boat was built as Janoralee, named after his wife and two daughters.  It has featured on various websites.  After 5 years, it passed to a second owner.  I inspected the vessel in Nov.04, paid a deposit, and took delivery in Feb.05.  I have renamed it Jessie II (my father's third boat was Jessie, moored at Tooradin, Victoria).
Length: 9 m (fits on a 10 m trailer, and can be towed without a permit)
Width: 1.8 m
Draught: 0.1 m
Propulsion: 9.9 hp Yamaha four-stroke outboard motor, mounted in an inboard housing (the motor needs 0.25 m, and below 0.3 m is a worry for weed or sand ingestion into the cooling system).
The hull is flat bottomed, with a lowerable keelboard.
It is meant for rivers and inland lakes.  I have survived a storm with 1 m waves on Lake Eildon; I have crossed Lake King in 0.8 m waves (but wasn't happy).
Duck Flat has an electric option, and would build a version with paddlewheels to order.  The current design has been widened (flared sides), and renamed Mundoo.
The kitchen is compact: ok for two, care needed when catering for four.  I tend to cater for breakfast and lunch, but tie up at a town with a hotel bistro for dinner.
The portaloo sits under the wheelhouse seat by day (or in the forecabin if there are ladies or toddlers aboard), and the footwell of the wheelhouse by night.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:48:47 PM by Roderick Smith »

michael

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »
Hey Roderick, I'm going for my boat licence tomorrow, so I may be coming to borrow JesseII off you one day! Haven't been down the wharf yet, will be Wednesday when I go to wire up lights on PS Ranger.

Offline Roderick Smith

More Jessie II photos
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 10:11:38 PM »
In Victoria, a restricted boat licence may be obtained at age 12 (my niece could skipper Jessie II).  A full license may be obtained at 16.  Most of the restrictions are concerned with waterskiing, not size of boat or waterway cruised.  The whole licence is theory, not prac (mainly signs and rules, most of which are international).  Sean and James are eligible for full licences too.  Learners permits for cars are available at age 16 (must be supervised); a probationary licence at 18.

Jessie II has been entered for the full length of the June-July 2007 Morgan - Koondrook/Barham cruise.  According to crew rosters, I may well be towing Michael's Bunyip or Sean's Grebe over some stretches (or PS Ranger or PS Billy Tea may tow Jessie II while I am in Melbourne doing a hasty RNV).  I may even have visiting Paddleduckers aboard on some days.

Now for some more photos.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:18:40 PM »
Glad for the towing offer for Grebe Roderick, will have to take you up on it!

Although I do plan on catching the fleet at Koondrook...but then again I'd love to meet at Wentworth...there are quite a few boats that would be well worth seeing there. But I won't add anything here that would start mass conversation like the 'Australien' in my play write up!

It is a nice looking boat. I'm going to look into that paddler version! It may interest me as a future boat!

Mind you I'd probly need to save up a bit! And there will be quite a bit of money going into Grebe at the moment!
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 06:00:47 PM »
Wow!! The Riverrun sounds fantastic and very much fun, and I am aiming to get my full boat licence by the end of the year, hopefully before December. Hopefully I can pass!! Is the boat licence hard to obtain, or not much harder than my Leaners Permit would you think?! Hopefully it is not much harder!!!

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 07:01:39 PM »
The learner driver book makes more sense...there seems to be a whole lot more in the boat book....and nothing about 'driving a boat is like playing a ball game' like in the car book (bah stupid car book!)

The NSW book is much better...easier to read...less 'mass amounts of info'

But as I still reside in Vic for the moment the vic one is more important. A group of my mates are all going to get it so we can go houseboating!

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Roderick Smith

Victorian marine licence
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 09:01:53 PM »
The material and sample tests are available at
www.marinesafety.vic.gov.au
The rules are fairly international, and this would be worthwhile reading for any Paddleducker
The full relevant law and regulations are at:
www.dms.dpc.vic.gov.au

The test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions; the pass mark is either 17 or 18 out of 20.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
(and a licensed boat operator as well as a purser)

Offline Roderick Smith

Jessie II - Wed.10-Mon.15.10.07 Blanchetown - Overland Corner cruise
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:15:13 AM »
Wed.10.10.  I retrieved the boat from maintenance and modification, including the fitting of rollers on the trailer.
Launching, at Blanchetown, was much easier.
The pool of lock 1 (Randell lock) provided plenty of depth and easy cruising, but I had launched 3 h late and was pushing to reach Morgan in daylight (just achieved, at 18.45).
Along the way I saw PV Hebe moored (at 302 or 304 km).  I didn't pause for a photo.
Thurs.11.10.  I am heading for a 15.00 locking at lock 2 (Waikerie lock) this afternoon, then on to Waikerie for 17.00.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 07:57:48 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Roderick Smith

Jessie II Wed.10-Mon.15.10.07 Blanchetown - Overland Corner cruise
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »
I have had more than the usual number of conversations about my boat during this cruise.  An article on it appeared in this month's Australian Amateur Boatbuilder magazine <www.boatbuilder.com.au>.

Thurs.11.10.  I left Morgan at  11.30, went through lock 2 at 15.15, and arrived at Waikerie  at about 17.00.  The wind was strong, and the locking solo was tricky: still I didn't hit the rough concrete walls.  The restaurant aboard Murray River Queen wasn't trading on Thursday night.  I went to the pub.

Fri.12.10.  7.30 start, strong wind, 0.5 m waves, but the hull glided through them smoothly.
Overland Corner 11.30-13.00.  I lunched at the historic stone hotel, built in 1859.  The 1956 flood had come half way up a wall.
Back to Waikerie in 3.5 h again.  I dined with the owner of Solway, a Mundoo II (an update of the Tennessee design).

Sat.13.10.  6.40 start for the double journey, 106 km to  Blanchetown.  I did it 11.5 h, locking at 8.15 (no wind, an easy drop), with a 2 h lunch break at Morgan (internet not open), and a 30 min break at a floating riverside hotel.

Boats seen:
PV Incredible is at the Blanchetown marina where I am moored.
PV Hebe, at 304 km
SWPV Gypsy Ellen: just below Cadell.
PV Murray River Queen, at Waikerie.
PV Akuna Amphibious, moored at Akuna Homestead.

Sun.14.10.  I drove into Adelaide and back, for the celebrations for the extension of the tram from Victoria Square to North Tce.
Mon.15.10.  Out of the water.  I left the boat with friends at Waikerie, then continued home via Mallee pub photography.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:03:14 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Roderick Smith

Floating hotel
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
I passed Globe Hotel while heading upriver, and assumed that it was just the landing platform for a hotel out on the main road.
Later I was told that it is a floating hotel (in the style of restaurants in Thailand and Cambodia).
As I came downriver on Saturday, the proprietor was aboard, so I called in.
Strictly, it isn't a hotel: it is a private joke.  We spent a pleasant 30 min chatting, while the owner shouted me to a can of beer, and showed me the toilet built in an unroofed burnt-out tree stump.  I still reached Blanchetown for 18.00 (ie still daylight), having left Waikerie at 6.40, and spent 10-15 min in lock 2 (the gates are slow), 2 h at Morgan and 30 min at 'Globe Hotel'.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 08:04:10 PM by Roderick Smith »

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 11:03:38 PM »
Jessie's looking pretty good there Roderick,

The river also looks quite nice.

On those lines the lake has turned glassy in the nice weather. Cath has indicated she's willing to lend a hand, so I think we'll have Grebe floating by the time Uni starts...to take in the most of a falling lake!

A floating hotel, now that is an interesting one! Has anyone actually looked into this as an actual business? Or would liability insurance (aka drowning) be too higher price to pay?

Sean

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Roderick Smith

Floating hotel
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »
I couldn't try going aboard PV Murray River Queen at Waikerie by rafting off it, but it must count as a floating hotel.
It trades as a bed & breakfast establishment.
The restaurant serves meals on Friday and Saturday nights.
I am not sure when the cafe is open.
I don't know if it is possible to go aboard just for a beer.

I was alongside a floating bottle shop during Randell Cadell.  I had run out of stock of red wine, but an adjacent paddleboat was selling bottles from the owner's estate.

There are certainly riverside vineyards with cellar-door sales at which boats call.  I have taken Jessie II to Chateau Tabilk and Mitchelton (Goulburn River), and Cape Horn (Murray River).  On other boats, I have called at Mildara (Murray River) and Trentham Estate (Murray River).

Related to floating hotels: floating churches.
We have mentioned PS Etona in other parts of paddleducks.
One church commissioned a floating mission on Lake Eildon: a houseboat with a chaplain.  I suspect that the ability to use it diminished with the receding water, and the lack of customers out there to service.  Or perhaps custom was up, counselling suicidal boat owners who could no longer use their investment?

In Cambodia I have seen a whole church on pontoons (ie just like a land-built one, but floating).  At the same location there was a floating school, and a floating basketball stadium.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Roderick Smith

Darling River cruise
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:42:21 AM »
I launched Jessie II at Wentworth on Sat.10.11 around 18.00, and spent the night moored at the caravan park.
Sun.11.11: up Darling River to 62 km, the supposed head of navigation.  There was a channel to one side of the trees there, but it looked weedy, so I didn't press on.  However, a tinny had gone through only 10 min earlier.  I got all the way back to the caravan park: 122 km for the day, in 11 h.
Mon.12.11: down through lock 10, then 4 km down, back up again, retrieve.
Lots of people prefer the Darling for boating: good water in the pool, few snags, narrower than the Murray so the scenery is closer in.  Historically, it carried more cargo than the Murray.  However, it has been nobbled worse than the Murray with water deprivation, weirs without locks, and low-level bridges.

Not many sightings:
PS Ruby in its restoration dock, no people visible.
MV Kookaburra: advertising Sunday lunch cruises around the junction and up the Darling.  mobile 0429 133 237, no website or e-mail.
One nice monohull houseboat well up (Lady Wentworth or Lady Darling).
The former dry dock for PV Coonawarra looked quite unused, and weed choked.
Below lock 10 I was in 1.1 m for a short stretch; perhaps I had missed the channel?
Gossip: a house boat was damaged when it was dragged by a tractor over a short shallow section near lock 8.
Two locks (5 and another) will be out of use for 3 months each in 2008 for maintenance.

Jessie II is now at Robinvale, ready for the Sat.8.12 celebrations for the centenary of PS Canally.  The town ramp is too short, and has a drop-off ledge; the organiser of the event will launch my boat on a dirt ramp at the restoration site, using a tractor.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Roderick Smith

Dec.-Jan.cruising
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »
My Fri.7-Mon.10.12 cruise from Robinvale/Euston was reported under PS Canally (Preserved paddlboats forum); photos from the cruise appeared there and in APAM lop (Research forum).

Bits from my 31.12-3.1 Deep Creek cruise have appeared in various places:
* Mon.31.12: I left Melbourne around 13.00, called past Michael's farm (photo of MV Bunyip in the Bunyip thread, in this forum), collected Jessie II, met friends in Echuca, and launched at Deep Creek Marina (1630 km) around 18.30, in time for dinner in the bistro (photos of models of PS Emmylou and PS Pevensey in the New Year thread in the Chat forum).  The band was very loud, and there was a cover charge.  I settled in for the evening with other boaties at the dock; we could the hear the band sufficiently well.  My closest neighbour was cruising a classy sailer trailer (60 cm draught) with the mast not in place.
* Tues.1.1: I went upriver for 30 min, to show the Murray to a girl from Germany, touring Australia & NZ for 9 months.  Docking again, the reverse gear failed.  I didn't ram any other boat, but I was now stranded at Deep Creek until a mechanic could attend next day.
* Wed.2.1: The mechanic came in the afternoon.  I could have cruised 3 h to Torrumbarry, to salvage by Koondrook cruise (a further 104 km) next day, but elected to stay with the friends and the bistro, and shorten the cruise.
* Thurs.3.1: From a 7.15 start, I reached Torrumbarry weir & lock at 10.00.  The wind was brisk.  As I went into reverse as part of manoeuvering into the lock, it failed again.  I yelled to the lockmaster that I was in trouble and would be aborting the locking.  Then forwards failed.  He helped fend me off the concrete wall.  The wind blew me onto the yellow buoys which do prevent boats from drifting over the weir.  While the lockmaster collected his boat, Jessie II blew along the buoys to the Victorian bank.  I phoned the mechanic; the lockmaster found the fault (a loose circlip had allowed the operating rod to come off its pin).  I could have salvaged the cruise as planned, but elected to return to Deep Creek in case of further trouble (lots of people above the weir; nobody below it).  There was no trouble, but I was now sufficiently early to retrieve on Thursday, drop the boat at my brother's farm, and return to Melbourne.  Along the way I photographed PV Florence Annie from the water, and PV Wanganui from the road (photos in APAM lop).

I am timing my next cruises to coincide with MV Spirit II's Echuca - Albury cruising, probably launching at Barmah, to Yarrawonga (below the weir) & return, then launch at Yarrawonga (above the weir), to Albury & return.  The paddleboats which I will see then have appeared in APAM lop before, but I may get a couple at Picnic Point which I haven't seen before.

Regards,
Roderick B Smith

Offline Roderick Smith

Jessie II - Jan.08 Tocumwal cruise
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 09:37:20 AM »
Jan.RNV ran a day late.
I left Melbourne on Tues.29.1 to collect Jessie II, launch at Barmah that afternoon, and cruise 20 km through the fast and narrow and snaggy Barmah Choke section of Murray River, to catch up to Spirit II at Picnic Point.  I would then run in tandem to Tocumwal and Yarrawonga, then return in 2 days over what had taken 3 days. The plan failed.
* Tues.29: We arrived at Barmah after Spirit II had left (lunch stop at the pub), but the ramp was unsuitable.  We stayed for dinner at the pub (in hindsight, we should have driven to Tocumwal while there was still daylight).
* Wed.30: We checked an alternate ramp at Barmah Lake: gravel, and in a swift current.  We drove to Tocumwal, launched, and set out downriver from 1886 km.  At 1871 km we ran over a transverse snag and were stuck.  After 10 min of relaxing with a cup of tea, 30 min of rocking resulted in us being free.  The goal for the day had been 1866 km, to lie in wait for Spirit II, and follow it back.  At 1867 km we saw it approaching, we rounded up, and followed it through the treacherous section (a better channel at 271 km).  There were more trouble spots; we hit another snag (no damage, the motor was unlocked); the other was stuck for a few minutes on sand.  The day ended at Tocumwal.  We had seen PV Betsy, moored at about 1877 km.
Thurs.31: 7.30 start, up through the treacherously snagged 1888 - 1894 km section, but snags all day.  We avoided getting stuck on one transverse one, but we did hit six, and ran into sand twice.  Spirit II overtook just past Cobram, with cheers from the crew and passengers.  It was much faster on the easy bits.  When we reached Yarrawonga at 19.00, it had already been winched onto a trailer, and relaunched above the weir.  We had seen PV Julie Fay about 10 km above Cobram.  At Yarrawonga, we saw that fake SWPV Paradise Queen has had the stern wheel removed.
Fri.1.2: 7.00 start, much faster running, and much better avoidance of snags (we hit only two).  Tocumwal arr. 15.30, retrieve and home.

I am placing the Betsy photo into APAM lopm 15-page forum (as an edit of a 1.6.07 post, on page 12).  Here are the two nonpaddlers from this cruise.
* Yarrawonga: MV Jessie II at the head of continuous navigation from Goolwa, 1987 km.  Fri.1.2.08.  (Roderick Smith)
* Ulupna Island: MV Spirit II on an Echuca - Albury cruise.  Wed.30.1.08.  (Roderick Smith)
Yarrawonga Weir was built in the late 1930s, without a lock.  Previously, the river was navigable from Goolwa to Albury (Hume Weir, also without a lock, was above the head of navigation).  The pool level of Lake Mulwala, formed by Yarrawonga Weir, is 126 m above sea level.  Notice: the average fall of Murray River below here is 6 cm per km.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 09:55:35 AM by Roderick Smith »