Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Junkit  (Read 8575 times)

Offline Broder Incertus

Junkit
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:17:29 AM »
Greetings!  

I saw a rather cute, small (62 cm) "fun scale" junk, Junkit, in a magazine, a kit made by M and M Development. I tried to order one, but I couldn't: the box would be too big, and it would be too complicated and too expensive (though how expensive I have no idea) to ship to Sweden. Does anyone know anything about Junkit and/or M and M? Did I have a lucky escape? :?    

I'm rather intrigued by chinese junks, and I saw somewhere (I wish I could remember where) a paddler with a junk rig.

/Torbjörn

Offline Red_Hamish

• aka Jim
Junkit
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »
Hello all, M and M developments have beeen around for a good while . I've not personally ordered from them but I think they are a part-time operation. Their web page is http://www.mandm.gb.com/page7.html for the "junkit" Not too sure if the hull size mentioned has any cor-relation to the overall box size? I did  not think the size excessive.

cheers

Jim
Enjoy life and the world of Radio Control Model Boating at  www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk There is also www.shetland.org for live webcams to see the good life.

Offline Broder Incertus

Junkit
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 05:08:36 PM »
More expensive but no more complicated than shipping one to Aberdeen I would have guess, but I guess I'm wrong.

I have to find myself another junk. MRB has some junk plans in their plans catalogue, but I don't know of any other kit.

Cheerio

Offline Broder Incertus

Junkit
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:54:20 PM »
No information about the actual cost of shipping, in fact, no reply what so ever …

Any suggestions for a kit, plans, something? Chinese junk, or something similar, a simple scalish sailing boat?

tia

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Junkit
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:51 AM »
Hi Torbjörn

I don't know of any kits, but here's some plans for a Chinese Junk, and some others for an Arab Dhow....
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline kiwimodeller

Junkit
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:41:09 PM »
I have somewhere some "Model Ships and Powerboats" mags from the late 1940's and early 50's which have a series of articles about building a "Crooked Stern Junk".  Cannot remember much about it except that I was always fascinated by the fact that they would want to build a bent boat! I will look the articles out if anyone is interested. Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Broder Incertus

Junkit
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 03:19:12 PM »
Quote from: "Eddy Matthews"
Hi Torbjörn

I don't know of any kits, but here's some plans for a Chinese Junk, and some others for an Arab Dhow....

Ooops! Absentminded, I think; blind I must be: missed this. Thanks! Looks interesting.

/Torbjörn

Offline Broder Incertus

Junkit
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 03:21:39 PM »
Quote from: "kiwimodeller"
I have somewhere some "Model Ships and Powerboats" mags from the late 1940's and early 50's which have a series of articles about building a "Crooked Stern Junk".  Cannot remember much about it except that I was always fascinated by the fact that they would want to build a bent boat! I will look the articles out if anyone is interested. Cheers, Ian.

I remember seeing some reference to those articles, but of course I couldn't find the mags. Always interested.

/Torbjörn

Offline Walter Snowdon

MODEL JUNK
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 10:05:33 PM »
About 6 years ago a British magazine called RADIO CONTROL MODEL BOATS now defunct) did a free plan and article on building a small but nice two masted junk for R/C. I particularly liked the sail trimming method which rotated both masts from one standard servo- very easy to fit and very accurate sail trimming. When I get to our club  I am detain we have  a copy and  one of our members built and sailed a larger version. I will look it out. Regards, Walter.

Offline mjt60a

Junkit
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 04:21:46 AM »
Taubman plans have one - http://www.taubmansonline.com/ - it's listed under 'historic sailing ships' ProductID: 10.00.024 ($55 though...)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline kiwimodeller

Junkit
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 08:11:59 PM »
Finally got to get to the back of the shed today and found the old mags. October 1950 Model Ships and Powerboats has a general article about Chinese Junks with line sketches of the various varieties but no plans or dimensions. 1951 January and February issues have "Notes on building a model of the Crooked Stern Junk".There are some scale drawings but no proper plans or instructions. I do not have a scanner but if anybody wants a copy I could photocopy them and mail them to someone who can post them on the site. Send me a PM with an address. Incidently the centre pages of the Feb issue have photos of the P.S.Shanklin and the P.S.Britannia plus dimensions etc.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Walter Snowdon

JUNK KIT.
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 06:23:05 AM »
Mike Mayhew at WAVERLEY MODELS (one of our long time subscribers) does a large one piece fibreglass hull for an impressively large junk with plans (at a guess about 40 1nches (1 metre) long with plan. I saw one complete about a week ago which looked pretty good. Just got home, so I will look up details in his catalogue and post them when I can. Regards, Walter.

Offline Walter Snowdon

JUNK HULL
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 06:44:31 PM »
Further to the above- Waverley models fibreglass junk hull is 1/24th scale model of a large three masted Hangchow Trader, 57 inches long with moulded in detail, so it is large and a lovely sailer. Hull and plan costs £80 plus postage which isnt bad for a hull of that size. Designed for 2 channel radio. Regards, Walter.

Offline Walter Snowdon

JUNK PLAN.
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »
Just spoken to Mike at Waverley models, He is just finishing the plans for an all wood easily built SAMPANG, two   masted junk. I have seen the prototype- its a very pretty  little thing, 30 inches long with a bulb keel and looks to be a good sailer. Ring Mike on 01275 546772 for details.  Regards, Walter.

Offline Broder Incertus

Re: JUNK PLAN.
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2006, 05:38:11 AM »
Quote from: "Walter Snowdon"
Just spoken to Mike at Waverley models, He is just finishing the plans for an all wood easily built SAMPANG, two   masted junk. I have seen the prototype- its a very pretty  little thing, 30 inches long with a bulb keel and looks to be a good sailer. Ring Mike on 01275 546772 for details.  Regards, Walter.

Definitely interesting; more so than the Hangchow Trader, since I'm rather logistically challenged (lacking a car).

Thanks!