Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: WAVERLEY MODELS HULLS.  (Read 9395 times)

Offline Walter Snowdon

WAVERLEY MODELS HULLS.
« on: June 22, 2006, 07:12:56 PM »
My recent visit to Mike Mayhew turned up the following info.on Waverley models paddler hulls. Available now:

PS WAVERLEY 1/48th scale £80

PS CARDIFF QUEEN 1/48th scale £80

PS BRISTOL QUEEN 1/48th scale £95

Available soon:

Paddle Tug AID (double ended tug) 1/48th scale . availabe toward the end of 2006.

PS WINGFIELD CASTLE (HUMBER FERRY) 1/48th scale Hulland plan, late 2006.

He is in the final stages of a conversion kit to rebuild the graupner kit of the paddle tug GLASGOW into 1/24th stand-off scale PS RELIANT, includes new funnel (aluminium) superstructure and fittings.

Mikes computer is giving him trouble, so he can be contacted on 01275 546772.

Cheerio for now, Walter.

Offline kiwimodeller

WAVERLEY MODELS HULLS.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 09:07:02 PM »
Walter, I have had some dealings with Mike, not without some problems typical of dealing with a one man band with too much on (been there - done that!) and he seems to have constant computor problems and is also too busy it seems to update the website which makes no mention of paddler hulls or kits nor Junks for that matter. Can you give some details from the catalogue about what size the paddler hulls work out at 1:48 scale and also what comes with them for the money. I am still in the market for a good big paddler hull or kit but would need some reassurance that he actually had a finished example ready to ship before ordering. Thanks, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Offline Walter Snowdon

HULL SIZES
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 08:49:47 PM »
Hi Ian. the easy way to find a model length is to take the full size hull in feet and divide it by the scale feet, the result is length in inches
. Example: BRISTOL QUEEN is 244 feet long. at 1/48th scale (1inch = four feet) divide 244 by 4 gives 61 inches.
CARDIFF QUEEN is240 feet long. divide by 4 =60 inches
WAVERLEY is 239 ft 6inches divide by 4 = a tiny fraction under 60 inches.

This holds good for all scales. 1/24 is 1 inch to 2 feet, divide hull length by 2   gives length in inches (Ex. !00 feet divided by 2 = 50 inch model hull.
this holds good for all scales. 1/12th, divider is 1. 1/24, divider is 2. 1/36, divider is three. 1/48th divider is 4. 1/60, divider is 5. 1/72, divider is 6 etc. A nice quick way to work out model length.
Mike Mayhews hulls come with a plan only., though he has many suitable fittings in his range.
To put you fully in the picture, Mike is a one-man band not only does he produce hulls plans and fittings, he also builds a large number of bespoke models to order, so he is always pushed for time!
I think like me, he is in awe of computers and apologised to me for not answering messages etc as his computer is constantly going AWOL, a bit like mine.
I have no connection to mike, other than meeting and talking to him and finding him a really pleasant chap. He is a first class modeller and a true enthusiast. Regards, Walter.

Bill Hudson

WAVERLEY MODELS HULLS.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 01:11:39 AM »
I am not familiar with the person producing the hull kits but I feel I must speak in defense of the "one man show."  I was producing 1:48 cast metal kits of horse drawn logging and road building equipment along with the horses and men.  I did it all from D&D, production, sorting, packaging and mailing. That included writing and printing the instructions a and graphics.  It can become overwhelming.  Mostly the profit margin is very slim to none.  There is not enough work to support even minimal outside help let alone oneself.  An there is not usually enough time in a day to do it all.  If the guy puts out a really good kit it is beat to give him room to  work. Have patience or like so many others he will get tired of the complaints and pressure and flick it in.

Bill

Offline kiwimodeller

WAVERLEY MODELS HULLS.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »
Thanks for that Walter. I was aware of how to work out the size from the scale, just not aware of the length of the full size boats. I will go searching now for pictures of the originals although I guess the hulls would lend themselves to being used to build replicas of many different boats. Having run a one man business I realise that it can very easily get on top of you and past delays would not stop me from ordering from Mike again but when you are on the other side of the world a lack of information on the website and slow or no replies to emails does not make it easy. Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Daryl

waverley
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 07:23:17 AM »
Just picked up a Waverely hulland plans from Mike atr Clevedon, my son and I are very pleased. With the fittings and paddle wheel set available from Mikes excellent catalouge that's a few christmas and Birthday presants sorted out. we find him very helpful and a pleasure to deal with. As we live in Gloucester its only a short way down the M5 and allways a pleasure to pop in to his workshop.

Wholeheartedly recommended, my son has his eye on a Cardiff queen when he has finished Waverley.

Daryl

Offline Tug--Kenny

Re: WAVERLEY MODELS HULLS.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 08:48:20 AM »

I have just found this topic.  Just the ticket, as they say.

I have also been to Mikes premises. A truly wonderful place for boat mad people like us. I have placed my order for the Waverley as well. How did you get on with yours, Dayrl ? I appreciate the topic is two year later, but hey, some people take that long to actually build these models.

He is still as busy as ever and has loads of hulls and spares. he is reasonably near to me so I know where to go for that urgent part.

Cheers...ken

Despite the high cost of living,
                    it still remains popular.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 05:57:13 PM »
I found the hull very good quality and the plans clear and accurate. I did however amend them as the plans was for a previous version. During her last major refit Waverley undergone a few changes to her superstructure so I allowed for these from photo's my son and I taken.

I have nowhere near finished her yet, in fatc I have barely started, keep getting sidetracked1

Mike's hull are very good and I have allways found Mike very helpful.

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:17:29 PM »

Yes, Daryl, I was shown the unprepared hull and it appeared Not to need a lot of stiffening. Mike assured me that the deck, when fitted would brace it enough.

As it was yet to be cleaned up and trimmed from the mold, I was unable to take it away on that visit. I look forward to returning and collect it. I don't know about amending anything, as I've not even built a Paddler yet and it might all go horribly wrong.

It is a full time hobby, like you imply, with other boaty things on the go. I'm desperately trying to finish off two myself, ready the Mayhem Bash on May 24th.

Cheers...Ken

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 08:58:06 AM »
Hi Ken,
I have found ours didn't need any stiffening at all, for the rivet counters the hull is deeper than scale. Apparently this is to make the hull more stable and the plans show the rudder larger to aid steering. All in all its a very good hull and we are well pleased with it.

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »
Last week I went down to collect the Waverley parts.

The hull is indeed 60 inches long and beautifully made. All the rivets are there (for the rivet counters) and it even has a modified section of plating where the original Waverley had repairs.  ;D

The paddle wheels are all shiny and well cut, and should be interesting to assemble. Whether they influence the sailing, matters not, because of the realism of the construction.

The paddle boxes are pre formed moulds, so this will save getting the build wrong, and will enhance the model when fitted. I even bought the stanchions, as these are special with two holes and a plain top for fitting the wooden rail.

Of course there are a lot more pieces to get and build, but I was assured that these would keep me occupied for the time being !!  ;)

I will do a build log, but here is a taster of the bits so so far.

Ken 

Online Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 05:23:47 AM »
Thanks Ken,

I'm sure a record of the build would be worth doing as the Waverley is a popular model with our UK members. I'm looking forward to it myself....

Regards
Eddy
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline sandystrone

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:00:39 AM »
Kenny, I notice from your photographs that the paddle wheel parts show a rimmed frame which the WAVERLEY does not have. It was the LMS paddlers which had rim frames, not the LNER.
                                      Alex Thomson
ex marine engineer with Shell Tankers Ltd.

Offline Tug--Kenny

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 06:50:26 PM »

Hi Alex

You are correct about the missing Rims. The instructions refer to these and they have to be cut off when using this set of wheels on the Waverley.

I have been busy working on her, and plan to start the Blog soon. I have amassed a load of pictures all ready to go, and need to break off to become an author.  ;)

Regards

ken

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Gold Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 07:57:07 PM »
Hi PD's....are these the instructions you noted?........................ . Derek :whistle
derekwarner_decoy ...Wollongong Australia