Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Paddle Tug Reliant - Stoker  (Read 4982 times)

Khephre

Paddle Tug Reliant - Stoker
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:14:28 PM »
Paddle Tug Reliant's stoker leans on a tow bow on the after deck, deep in conversation with a crewman, out of picture. Lazy beggar - shouldn't you be watching the boilers?

Khephre

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 08:54:25 AM »
Another view of Reliant's stoker puts him into perspective.

The model's starting to take its final shape now, with a few accessories judiciously positioned around the decks. Next steps are to add a couple of final components still missing, then to complete touching up the paintwork and start the weathering. Have also started a display stand for her - I've chosen a rocky beach as the subject for a simple diorama for when Reliant's not out on the local boating pond - but more on the stand shortly.

Have added a few more photos of the model to the gallery, so that these two can be placed into more context.

Cheers
Tony

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 04:14:45 PM »
Supurb detail Tony - are you sure it is not a kit :?:  :) - how is she driven? - when I saw your 44 gallon steel drums a week or so ago I searched the WEB to find when they took over from timber barrels but to no avail - anyone any idea :?:  - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Khephre

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:12:21 PM »
Thank you, Derek.  :oops: Devil's in the detail, but don't look too closely!

No, she's not a kit, mate. Mostly scratch built - paddle wheels and a few fittings excepted.

Here's the drive system - you might remember this from 18 months ago. That was taken a couple of months into the build and she's still pretty raw!

Interesting question Derek, when did metal drums replace wooden barrels? What about when Peter Durand patented the tin can in 1810 - does that count? Not really - heading in the right direction, but not quite the answer to what you ask...

Stu Kerrn Sr

Reliant
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:11:41 AM »
The detail on your Reliant looks like it is done to a high standard. The Lory J. that I have photos on this page were made with a Reliant plans mixed with Strong Bow and three other paddlers. You should be proud of your work.

Offline kiwimodeller

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 09:04:16 PM »
Hope you are going to bring it to Waihi on September 3rd Tony? We have three paddlers locally and if Monty brings his again we will be able to have a cavalcade! Cheers, Ian.
"Every time I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be some bastard with a train trying to run me down!"

Khephre

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 09:09:18 AM »
Hiya Ian,

assuming I'll be in the country then, I'd like to get down on the 3rd. B****y work has me on airplanes every week at the moment. Ironic really seeing I'm in the fishing industry - shouldn't I be sailing everywhere?

If I can get down to Waihi I'll be sure to bring the camera - it'd be great to get a few photos for Paddleducks of a kiwi paddler regatta, to say nothing of a bit of coverage for the Mailship (by copy to our fellow PDers - the Mailship is our Auckland club's monthly newsletter).

I'll talk with Monty to make sure he brings his 'Stella' down.

Thanks too for the compliment, Stu, but don't look too closely. I started out as a glorified wood butcher but am slowly improving with each new project - Reliant's my second scratch-built model and I've learned plenty from her construction. I reckon I must have built her three times over once you take into account the bits and pieces that ended up on the workshop floor!

Cheers to all
Tony
Auckland NZ