Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Steam Engine to power my real paddler!  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Sean Bryan

Steam Engine to power my real paddler!
« on: June 07, 2006, 09:18:43 PM »
Hey everyone, I know it's been awhile, I'm sorry, I've been working on my play more than paddlers.

In quick brief news my A.A model is currently (like right now) undergoing work because I am taking it in for a speech for a bunch of primary school kiddies. I made a DVD and all about paddlers so I can tell them all about it.
My boat is at a standstill...it's winter...it's cold...my boat is out in the open...it's warm in the house!

BUT!

After discovering Old Glory Magazine my grandpa and I have been discussing installing a model traction engine as the engine for the boat...thus making it an actual paddler!

However we're wondering what kind of power these models put out because it's no use spending moeny if we can't turn the wheels.

My idea was running belts of the rear traction engine wheels because I think they would be stronger than the fly wheel. That's my idea anyway.

So any ideas...please help!

In other news I'm working up in Echuca again most likely on the Pevensey, she's up on slip being recaulked so I'm going to be lending my hands! Can't wait!

Photos asap guys...sorry I haven't been around!
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

Offline AlistairD

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:44:07 AM »
After discovering Old Glory Magazine my grandpa and I  have been discussing installing a model traction engine as the engine for the  boat...thus making it an actual paddler!

However we're wondering what  kind of power these models put out because it's no use spending moeny if we  can't turn the wheels.

My idea was running belts of the rear traction  engine wheels because I think they would be stronger than the fly wheel. That's  my idea anyway.

So any ideas...please help!

Well, your standard Murray paddler is  just that, isn't it, a paddle steamer hull with a traction engine powering  it

Alistair
Alistair Deayton
Paisley
Scotland

Offline mjt60a

Re: Steam Engine to power my real paddler!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:41:57 AM »
Quote from: "thewharfonline"
....it's winter...it's cold...my boat is out in the open...it's warm in the house!....

I forget about that, it's summer here so I just imagine it's summer everywhere!
The idea of using a small steam engine sounds like it could work in theory, I suppose you could use a 1/4 scale traction engine, a partially complete one would be good so you have the boiler/firebox with the cylinder and gearing on it, fit it in the boat with chain sprockets where the rear wheels would be and connect to the boats paddleshaft with motorcycle chains......might work, I've seen those traction engines pulling two people on a trailer......
....but aren't they really expensive to buy?
I'd be tempted to get a scooter engine from the junk yard (because they're fan cooled) and rig up the drive the same way, then if you can get a steam engine one day, it can be bolted in place with only minor alterations.
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
A Murray paddler has a 'transportable' engine in it...a portable steam engine without the wheels...often they were sent out without them (such as the Pev's engine) or were removed before being installed.

Yes steam engines would be expensive that's why we hope they would work...
Yes we do have in mind a small (I think 2/3 hp) engine for the boat that we have lying around...it's the modern day equivalent of the real paddlers engines...a portable!

So yeh...we have to look into it I suppose. I saw a fully built traction engine model the other day in an antique store (with living wagon) for AUS$6500 no boiler certificate though. It was fairly big too and may have been powerful enough...I guess I just have to ask around...find out what's powerful and what's not!

Winter stinks...I wish I had a steam engine!
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com