Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Another Newcomer  (Read 2942 times)

Swordfish

Another Newcomer
« on: May 13, 2006, 10:22:24 AM »
Hello Paddleduckers:

I'm another one who has been looking over your respective shoulders and reading the Forum for some time , only now stepping forward to join. Your new site is just too well done for me to remain an outsider.

My model building over the last ten years has not been very prolific and limited to 1"=1' standoff scale, electric, screw RC working craft. However, I've been attempting to research two projects that have some personal connection. My great grandfather, during the American Civil War,  served aboard the Union gunboat USS Commodore Barney ( converted hastilly from sidewheel NYC ferry Ethan Allen in 1861 ). As several Paddleduckers have noted in the past, accurate information and properly identified photos from the period are scarce. However, I think I now have enough material to at least build a modest, small scale static model with reasonable confidence as to its accuracy. My ultimate aim would be to build a larger, working RC version.

The other project concerns an early passenger steamboat ( Eagle ) built in Norwich, CT , USA in 1817, which was the first such craft to serve routes between Boston and several towns south of the city. The Eagle was originally built with a wooden boiler which promptly blew up on her maiden voyage off the CT shore. Just how she looked after rebuilding is my challenge. A Fred Pansing painting seems to provide the answer, but was not painted "from life", therefore not guaranteed accurate.

Any research leads will be gratefully received. I hope that, in time, I may be able to reciprocate and be a contributor myself.

Best regards to all, Swordfish

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Paddleducks Supporter
  • Wollongong - Australia
Another Newcomer
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 12:16:42 PM »
Hey - welcome onboard to PD's Swordfish - with your GGfather serving on a paddler - what a better way to start..........[USS Commodore Barney Gun Boat] :boom

As you have noted, looking on PD's for a time..... post a question, post a snap....post an  : :idea:  - they will all be read/answered & appreciated

regards Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Another Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »
Hi Swordfish,

Nice to have you with us, and thankyou for the kind words about the site...

Sadly I cannot help with your search for information as the American Civil War boats aren't my thing, but a lot of our members do research them, so hopefully someone will come up with something that will help.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy the ride...
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

towboatjoe

Another Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 03:21:04 AM »
Welcome Swordfish. Here's the best place to start looking for plans. This page has colonial and civil war ships.
http://www.marylandsilver.com/Ship.htm

If you want to look for other plans go to the bottom of that page and click on home which will take you to the Maryland Silver Co homepage and toward to bottom of that page ard a few more links to national archive plans. They are a good modeling company too.

Swordfish

Thank You & A Correction
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 05:23:17 AM »
Hi Eddy, Derek and Joe:

Thank you for your kind welcome and Joe, thank you the suggestion of Maryland Silver as a plans source. Maryland Silver does make availale a great selection of plans, but I've come to believe no plans ever existed for any of the twenty-one converted ferries as they were not "purpose built". Their "quickie" conversions took as little as two weeks in the old Brooklyn Navy Yard and modifications continued "on the fly" after they were put in service.

Research indicates the Commodore Perry and the Commodore Barney were nearly identical ( at least at the start of the war ) so photos of both vessels plus specifications from Silverstone's book have been my best guides. I will try to attach a photo of the Perry obtained online from the National Archives.

By the way, I appologize if I'm duplicating this message. I thought I knew how to respond, but apparently need to learn the ropes. With appreciation.

Swordfish

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Thank You & A Correction
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 06:42:49 AM »
Quote from: "Swordfish"
By the way, I appologize if I'm duplicating this message. I thought I knew how to respond, but apparently need to learn the ropes. With appreciation.

Swordfish

Don't worry about making the odd mistake Swordfish - We're here to help, not to criticise the occassional error, none of us are perfect! :-)

Having said that, some of us do have a rather strange sense of humour (me included), so don't take offence if you get a bit of friendly banter, it's all meant to be in fun...
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~