Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Resizing Images before uploading  (Read 6296 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Resizing Images before uploading
« on: January 17, 2007, 09:38:33 PM »
To make your photo images quicker to upload, and to save us webspace, the following instructions should help if your a WinXP user...

My sincere thanks to Martin at ModelBoatMayhem for allowing me to use his article. http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/

First you may need to download the Windows XP 'Power Toy'  Image Resizer - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx  

1. Open  Windows Explorer.   ( Windows key + E  or Right click my Computer > Explorer or  START > All Programs >  Accessories > Windows Explorer )
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:36:50 PM by Eddy Matthews »
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:19:30 PM »
Eddy,
I'm trying to resize a photo to upload as my avatar.. but I cant find the resize selection in the menu after highlighting the photo.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 06:06:22 AM »
You can also resize using 'paint' (start/programs/accessories/paint) Open the image in paint and click on Image/stretch-skew then alter the figure in both 'horizontal' and 'vertical' fields in stretch area of the tool control to (for example) 20% of original (this depends on the size of the original picture and the size needed for an avatar) Then click 'File/Save As' (not 'Save' which will change the original forever!) Finally, exit paint. If it asks if you want to save changes to ****.jpg (the original), select no!
Or to be on the safe side, make a copy from the original first (save as) the open the copy and resize it.
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

paddlesteamerman1

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »
Typical 'Me' Thing to do... I went into paint - and searched and searched.. and couldn't find it.. but I remember now seeing stretch-skew...
I will try resizing with paint now
:)

GreeboTheCat

Too many Bytes
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:17:57 PM »
Got the re-sizing sorted but my intended Avatar image is still a bit too big. Max size is 6Kb and my (very small) image is still 10Kb. Is there an easy way to get down to 6Kb?

Greebo

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 04:27:31 AM »
is the image called (something) .jpg or  .bmp
.bmp is biggest (in bytes, kb) .jpg is usually much smaller but equally good quality.
as an example, the images below are identical but one is saved as a .jpg and the other as a .bmp....
*OK, looks like the .bmp doesn't display but has to be downloaded, but it does look the same and you can see the difference in file size!
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Walter Cooper

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 06:52:10 AM »
Hello Greebo TheCat,here is a site that I use for resizing photos.It pretty good,plus its free! Walter http://www.stormdance.net/software/photorazor/software%20overview.htm

GreeboTheCat <forum@paddleducks.co.uk> wrote:
   Got the re-sizing sorted but my intended Avatar image is still a bit too big. Max size is 6Kb and my (very small) image is still 10Kb. Is there an easy way to get down to 6Kb?

Greebo

Post generated using Mail2Forum

GreeboTheCat

Photo re-sizing
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 05:49:08 PM »
Thanks fellas.

Greebo