Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Photo uploads  (Read 9573 times)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Photo uploads
« on: May 13, 2006, 05:42:06 AM »
I've spent most of the day resizing some of the larger photos that have been uploaded to the forum and have managed to save over 60Mb of space without deleting a single photo or making them too small to be useful....

Sadly we don't have unlimited webspace, so we have to do these tidy-ups from time to time.

I don't wish to impose limits on photo sizes, as we all know that from time to time it can be useful to post a larger image, but I'd appreciate it if you could all consider the amount of space these images consume and reduce any images to a size that is suitable - it's rarely necessary to have an image of more than 150Kb if it's only going to be viewed on a computer monitor. The exception generally comes if it's necessary to print out an image, such as scanned magazine articles etc.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Stu Kerrn Sr

Changing photo size
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »
Eddy
   How do you change your photo size? Let everyone learn a little about photo size and also let them know that once you're changing a photo size let them know how to improve photo quality. What is a sticky post? Your thoughts are excellent,  you get down to basics

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Re: Changing photo size
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 03:54:58 PM »
Quote from: "Stu Kerrn Sr"
Eddy
   How do you change your photo size? Let everyone learn a little about photo size and also let them know that once you're changing a photo size let them know how to improve photo quality. What is a sticky post? Your thoughts are excellent,  you get down to basics

To resize and compress images you need some sort of image manipulating software Stu - There are hundreds of different programs available that will do it from the very simple, to full blown image suites that cost thousands of dollars!

If your using Windows XP there is a free program that does what's needed, you can get it from Microsoft at: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Free software is available for most operating systems, so it's rarely (if ever) necessary to spend money - That's my kind of software :-)

Finally, a "Sticky" message is just that..... As new messages are posted, normal posts will be moved down so that the new ones always appear at the top of the screen - A "Sticky" message will always remain at the top of the listing, no matter how many messages are posted.
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

towboatjoe

Photo uploads
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 03:27:04 AM »
For anyone who doesn't have any photo editing software and wants their photo resized just email it to me and I'll edit the photo and email it back.

Stu Kerrn Sr

Photo Offer
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 10:31:38 AM »
Quote from: "towboatjoe"
For anyone who doesn't have any photo editing software and wants their photo resized just email it to me and I'll edit the photo and email it back.

Joe this is a very nice offer, I have one I use, but for those that don't your offer is great

paddlesteamerman1

Photo uploads
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 08:33:11 PM »
Ummm, With the photo attachements on the posting pages, I actually can not get a single photo on to the forum, not matter how big or small! Is anyone able to help, or has had similar probs and has solved it :!:  And also some of my posts are arriving twice without me telling it too, and I have received a couple of emails from people asking what is happening, and I dont know! So I would be so grateful if someone could help me  :)

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Photo uploads
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 09:08:23 PM »
Quote from: "paddlesteamerman1"
Ummm, With the photo attachements on the posting pages, I actually can not get a single photo on to the forum, not matter how big or small! Is anyone able to help, or has had similar probs and has solved it :!:  And also some of my posts are arriving twice without me telling it too, and I have received a couple of emails from people asking what is happening, and I dont know! So I would be so grateful if someone could help me  :)

I can't help with the photo problem unless you give some more info - What happens when you try to upload? Are there any error messages on screen? How big are the files your trying to upload?

Getting duplicate posts is generally caused by users accidentally hitting the "Submit" button multiple times - Click on it ONCE and wait a few seconds, it should then be fine. This particularly affects users with slow modem connections as their screens are slow to update...

Hope that helps a little?

paddlesteamerman1

Photo uploads
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 07:42:07 PM »
Thank You So Much :D  And yes we are on a very slow connection, 28Kbs only because no company will come and give us a quicker connection. With the photos, the computer just stops working full stop. It stays on that screen until I shut the screen down, then I have to start again. The files range anything from 6Kb to just over 1Mb? If that helps at all!! :D

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Photo uploads
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
Quote from: "paddlesteamerman1"
Thank You So Much :D  And yes we are on a very slow connection, 28Kbs only because no company will come and give us a quicker connection. With the photos, the computer just stops working full stop. It stays on that screen until I shut the screen down, then I have to start again. The files range anything from 6Kb to just over 1Mb? If that helps at all!! :D

It sounds like a problem with your computer James, rather than something not working as it should here.... Maybe your running out of memory or system resources when you try to send a photo? try clearing your browser cache and shut down anything that you don't need to run.

Sorry I can't really be more helpful....

paddlesteamerman1

Photo uploads
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
Thanks heaps!! Next time I go to load a photo I will shut all programs down I dont need!!

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
Photo uploads
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 04:59:04 AM »
One of our newest members, Ivan Horejsi, has uploaded a load of photos of his models in the Photo Gallery - Take a look, some nice steam powered models. I particularly like his early paddler!

Welcome to Paddleducks Ivan, please take the time to tell us a bit about the models....

Offline mjt60a

Re: Photo uploads
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 05:08:19 AM »
Went to the science museum yesterday, to look at the 'shipping' models. Just uploaded about 20 pictures (I tried to remember to reduce them to about 100k but I think one slipped through, it's an impressive model though and shows the detail best at the size it is.....but feel free to resize it if necessary)
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline marinemole

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »
Eddy
Tried to upload some photographs, probably in the 130K region each and got the following error message

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 13952 bytes) in /home/eddy8757/public_html/smf/Sources/Gallery2.php on line 5069

Think I've burst your gallery. I've possibly been a bit too enthusiastic uploading in recent days. Will backtrack when I get time and  try to trim down number and size of content.

Feel free to zap anything yourself in my galleries which you think past its sell by date.

Andy
Lobby your MP.....make Moles a protected species.

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 10:35:03 AM »
That error is caused by an image with too many pixels Andy, not the filesize.... Basically our Host server runs out of memory trying to create the medium and thumbnail image when processing the photo.

Just reduce the quality of the image slightly and it will be fine.... If you have problems with that, send the images to me via email ( eddy.matthews@paddleducks.co.uk ) and I'll sort them for you...

I hope that makes sense?

Regards
Eddy

Offline marinemole

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:03:28 PM »
Makes perfect sense Eddie, should have thought of that one myself. Thanks for the prompt reply.
Lobby your MP.....make Moles a protected species.