Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Sound & Smoke on the P.S. Capt. Sturt  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Peter Webster

Sound & Smoke on the P.S. Capt. Sturt
« on: January 03, 2006, 07:30:15 PM »
Eddy,
        Here are the results of both units smoke and sound as previously described. I am so pleased that I am getting another Mp3 player and ordering 2 more smke generators from Action Electronics. The smoke density appears quite good and is easily visible about 12metres or 12 feet away and the sound is clearly audible also at this distance as you can see and hear. One other advantage of the Mp3 player is there is no rewinding of tapes to worry about.
Peter Webster from the Land of Oz

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:12:44 PM »
It certainly looks the part on the water Peter, very impressive!

Any chance of getting a look at the drive system and some details of how it drives the sternwheel?
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Offline Peter Webster

Capt Sturt Drive System
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 09:23:09 PM »
Eddy,
         Here are the details of the drive system. It operates on the K.I.S.S. principle. The MFA motor and 50:1 gearbox drive a pulley mounted on a 7/32 diam. shaft which in turn drives the two pitman arms which are 3/8 x 1/8 mild steel round edgeed flat bar. Some have said this is a little too beefy but I have tried using aluminium but this bends over a period of time and locks up the paddlewheel due to the quartering being out, I have also tried using Spruce but found it to vibrate a little,probably due to extreme light weight of the arms.
What material do you or any of the other members use?
Peter Webster (Land of Oz, where the temp today was a lovely 23 degrees0

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:44:18 PM »
Hi PD's & Peter.W - I really liked the smoke generator snaps etc but see you are using that [yellow/red/brown] servo wire which is JR gear

I am to spend two weeks @ Whyalla steel works in week 3 & 4 of 2006 & have contacted the Australian JR importer [in Adelaide] & explained the JR radio faults  that I am still experiencing over the past months in the hope that they will throw the faulty TX over the balcony & provide a version that works  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: - Derek :?
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Peter Webster

Smoke and sound etc
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 08:59:50 AM »
Derek,
         The wire colour is actually red yellow black and the servos are Hitec which I always have used and never had a problem with as a matter of fact this model sunk in the test tank due to originally over ballasting and the next day all was well thank God!
Peter Webster

Offline Eddy Matthews

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »
Thanks for the drive details Peter - I like the idea of having multiple 'O' rings on the drive shaft to save breaking everything apart to replace one - neat idea!
~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~