Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: Steam Whistle for real padler!  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Sean Bryan

Steam Whistle for real padler!
« on: December 01, 2005, 11:38:45 AM »
Ok heres a question for you...

I have my real paddler...(well it's getting theere) and I want  it to have a steam whistle...however she's not going tro be a steam driven boat so how do I get the whistle do work.

Could I use one of those little steam engine models or should I hook up an air compressor?

And then where do I get it from?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Sean
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

Offline derekwarner_decoy

• Wollongong - Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:51:21 PM »
Hi PD's - Sean - I guess the air compressor would work & you can get the 12V versions from Auto Parts shops [in OZ, Repco - Super Cheap Autos etc] for about $30.00 AUD, but they are very hungry in current draw :rant - & the noise level may drown out the whistle sound  :music - another option would be a SOUND UNIT - I am sure there have been some PD postings on good versions & not so great versions - Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Barrie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »
The obvious source (if you were in the UK) would be JJC - see references elsewhere on this forum. Plenty of volume, low current requirements - 6 or 12 volt SLA would be adequate - but it might be expensive to get it to OZ. Don't know about import duty etc. There are samples on http://www.jjc-electronics.com but I don't think they do the actual sounds justice.  

Barrie

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 11:13:37 AM »
Thanks for your replies guys and yes Derek I thought it might drown it out too. Thats why I was wondering if maybe the model boiler would work.....but I was researching steam whisatles and they need between 70 and 150 PSI can you do that on a model boiler?

www.seanbryan.com

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 01:48:19 AM »
Hi Sean,
If you check I think you will find it is not the pressure you need but the volume of air/steam look up Helmholtz resonator whistle, that should put you on the right track.
Regards,
Gerald
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 11:06:09 AM »
Quote from: "steamboatmodel"
Hi Sean,
If you check I think you will find it is not the pressure you need but the volume of air/steam look up Helmholtz resonator whistle, that should put you on the right track.
Regards,
Gerald

Thanks for that but on most of the steam whistle websites I've been on they've given a PSI level for runnind and I know from work experience that the whistles need so much pressure as well!

Such as the Adelaide's Big Boy Locomotive whistle! Why does the Adelaide have a Big Boy Whistle....who knows...I don't think anybody does!

www.seanbryan.com

ijig

boat whistle
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 09:38:05 AM »
I just built one for a friend of mine. He ordered a 12v compressor from harbor freight and came up with a lever valve. I built a whistle out of PVC Pipe and used an old 20# propane tank for air storage. I worked fine on his houseboat.

Offline mjt60a

Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

ijig

steam whistle
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 07:03:01 AM »
either one should?? work. the only way you will know is to try. 71GBP sounds like alot to me. PVC one can be built for uner $5 US.

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 07:02:49 AM »
That's true, I think the sellers of those two whistles might be thinking of them as collectors items (I don't know anything about restoring steam engines/traction engines so maybe that's just what they usually cost!) If using compressed air instead of hot steam, a PVC one should be good enough (then again, maybe if we were using steam it'd be possible to make one from a length of copper pipe of the type used in heating systems....)  :D
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »
so your saying I should make my own! I thought I nice old fashioned steam whistle would be nice! Maybe I could ask one of the guys up at Echuca about one...the guy I'm thinking of restors the engines so maybe just maybe theres something!

www.seanbryan.com