Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

Author Topic: PV Grebe  (Read 38347 times)

Offline Sean Bryan

Re: PV Grebe
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
In posting this message I received a warning- "This topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days."

Yes, I let things slide, life got in the way. Occupations filled my work time and my free time, and my boat sat in a shed, occasionally being tinkered on by my grandfather.

The Melbourne Centenary Celebration reminded me just how passionate I was about these boats, and lately I'd been so overwhelmed with work in the theatre (which some days I can be working on from 8am to midnight) that I felt the need for a hobby.

I didn't need to look any further than the shed. There was Grebe waiting for me.

I spent Saturday sanding her down in prep for some undercoat, which I then went out to buy. The good thing about living on the cusp of the Mornington Peninsula is that it's near a body of water, so it's not too far to drive to get to a shop selling marine paint.

I spent today undercoating the boat- her stripped back wood was thirsty, she soaked up more paint than I expected.

Now Grebe is white. After another coat she'll be flipped and work will commence on her insides.

An old ride on mower has been obtained and the drive shaft and simple forward/reverse mechanism will be utilised on the boat. The engine is bust on it though, so a new one will be obtained, probably less power than the 11hp that it was.

Designs have also changed. She'll be far more simplistic- corrugated iron will probably feature.
Theatre Producer, World Traveler, Paddle Steamer Enthusiast

www.seanbryan.com

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2012, 12:53:25 AM »
Glad to see your going to work on the Grebe again. 16+ hour days can be the norm in theater work, when I was doing stage work it was always fest or famine, and a lot of hard drinking and smoking. I hope things have changed a bit, as it can burn you out very fast if that all you do.
Regards,
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline mjt60a

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:13 AM »
In posting this message I received a warning- "This topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days."

Yeah, I get that a lot!  Sometimes, work just seems to take over, at others there are events every weekend (or people I have to go and visit - or just work to be done around the house) so I tend to think of that message as less a 'warning' and more a reminder that I really should try to find more time!
Good to hear the Grebe project is still 'a goer' - must admit I never thought of a ride-on mower for power, shame the engine's no good it would have been ideal!
Posted by Mick.
(.....gonna need a bigger boat.....)

Offline Roderick Smith

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
This one is for sale at <www.duckflatwoodenboats.com/mainpages/forsale2.php#PaddleBoat>.
It is an interesting variation on paddling.  I have no idea of its speed or stability.  The hull is two wooden pontoons, with the engine on a platform between them.
3.6 m long; 2.4 m beam.  No demounting is necessary for trailing.
The remaining photos are at the link, and give a better idea of the design.

Roderick B Smith
Rail News Victoria Editor

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Grebe is still smaller! At 3.4 metres by 1 metre (maybe 1.2 at her widest point) though that's just the hull before wheels are attached. The way current designs stand she also won't need to be demounted to trailer.

The caterpillar tread wheels on the linked boat are fascinating. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

www.seanbryan.com

Offline Sean Bryan

« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
Grebe got a second coat of undercoat today. The first one was very thin- very thirsty wood- the second should leave her covered nicely.

Next we'll be building her a cradle and flipping her over to start work on the inside.

Her engine and drive gear have been sourced, the old ride on mower picked up, and is progressively being pulled apart for the new role inside the vessel. The angle grinder will need to come out to finish that process. The engine comes from an old mulching machine, it's a 5hp engine, which may not prove powerful enough. We'll find out. If it doesn't work we'll upgrade. This is what we can source for now.

The 13hp engine that came with the mower is shot... which is unfortunate.

www.seanbryan.com