Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.


Main Menu

About Us
Photo Gallery
Contact Us


Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Forgot your password?


Advanced Search

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Introduce Yourself / Re: greetings.
« Last post by TailUK on Today at 08:03:47 PM »
Welcome, don't forget to post pictures.
Introduce Yourself / greetings.
« Last post by knifemare on February 26, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »
greetings all from the mid north coast of NSW
the top of my bucket list is the build a 1:87 (2.4m) working model of the SS Great Eastern :-)
so i am working on that path
a few model (static) boats designed and built.
currently working on
a SnG canoe started
a prototype (very ugly) director class 1:87 in foam and balsa with an aluminized epoxy skin to get an idea of the problems and as a test bed.
when they are finished
a good  1:47 scale director class (or maybe a dilapidated polish tug that is ?still in use?) about 1M  long and usable as a  high power tug
for when i  build a few framed sailing boats as practice for good framing and fairing (projects with the kids )
then a SUP for the wife's 50th birthday
then the big one.
mostly i will be using wifi and microcontrolers for flexibility and automation (cooling pumps and fans, smoke volume, signals, horns, lighting etc), i have a BIG interest in sensors.

Introduce Yourself / Re: Another newbie dropping in.
« Last post by Sabre on February 26, 2020, 09:29:33 AM »
Yep, four lifeboats, plans are by Alex Thomson and I have noticed that the angle of the deck is different front and rear sections.       I don't do fb or twitter so it's no see.
Introduce Yourself / Re: Another newbie dropping in.
« Last post by lcr1000 on February 26, 2020, 05:10:16 AM »
I started rebuilding  my Waverley after sitting  25 years partly finished  its 54 inches long also   , if same plans (4 Lifeboats ) check plans as the plan and elevations are differ ent , I cant get photos up on this site but you can view it on  my facebook page, John Nicol  ,  if you need any info  just ask , Cheers
Introduce Yourself / Another newbie dropping in.
« Last post by Sabre on February 25, 2020, 09:07:06 PM »
At the weekend I dragged out a plan that I acquired years ago and started copying the hull lines whilst I wait the arrival of the wood.   What else but a Waverley and at 54" it's a fair sized old beast but looks simple enough.   Much as I would like to power it by steam the extremely generous uk pension says no so it's going to be some form of cheapo electric motor and drive.   
Back in the younger days there was plenty of models whether boat or plane almost always powered by lovely noisy ic engines of various sizes from a humble DC Bantam up to an OPS60 so this is going to be a little different.   The old Sanwa rc gear is still in the garage but whether it will work or not is another story.

No doubt I will be dropping in with a question or two once the build starts.
Books, Magazines & Videos etc / sixty years of paddle steamer preservation.
« Last post by Walter Snowdon on February 24, 2020, 10:26:40 PM »
Newly published by paddle steamer preservation society to celebrate their SEVENTY YEARS of saving our ships. Just got my copy and WOW it is superb  . In hardback form and printed on photo quality gloss paper it cant be praised enough. Written in the main by society members who have hands on experience in preserving and operating paddlers for us. It is 174 pages long with at least one top quality picture per page covering Waverley, Kingswear Castle, Maid of the loch, Medway Queen and the attempts to save Ryde, Alumchine, Princess elizabeth and others all covered in an easy read and jovial manner. The majority of the pictures have never been published before. All the profits to go to the presevation of our ships. THIS BOOK IS A MUST HAVE. (It even has a chapter on model paddlers). It can be bought direct from PSPS shop at Ł25 post free. Regards, Walter.
Research / Re: Big paddler "Szöke Tisza" ex "Felszabadulas" raised
« Last post by Hankwilliams on February 23, 2020, 09:25:43 PM »
The "Szoke Tisza" sinking, must be in beginning 2012.
Research / Re: Big paddler "Szöke Tisza" ex "Felszabadulas" raised
« Last post by Hankwilliams on February 22, 2020, 08:13:22 AM »
Yes, Jurgen, the condition is more than bad, it`s like a ruin, not only a wreck.
But one must conclude, that the New Zeeland paddler "Waimarie" also spend more than 20 years on the bottom of the river. The present "Waimarie" must be more a reconstruction than a rebuil. In this background - the main thing is money and work. If this comes together, it would be possible to make a new ship around one rivet...

Research / Re: Big paddler "Szöke Tisza" ex "Felszabadulas" raised
« Last post by Paddlemex on February 22, 2020, 03:52:41 AM »

Interesting and sad, Thomas.
I looked at a lot of the pictures available and I doubt there is any substance left for a rebuild.
The whole superstructure is gone. From the pictures it is not possible to tell if anything was removed prior to the "recovery" or if it just collapsed.
Anyway, it seems somebody came up with the money to pull her ashore. Let's see what's next.


Research / Re: Big paddler "Szöke Tisza" ex "Felszabadulas" raised
« Last post by DamienG on February 21, 2020, 01:20:12 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Powered by EzPortal