Padleducks logo Paddleducks name

Welcome to Paddleducks..... The home of paddle steamer modelling enthusiasts from around the world.

+-

Main Menu

Home
About Us
Forum
Photo Gallery
Links
Contact Us

UserBox

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Search

Advanced Search

PT Lambton Hall - nearing completion March 2011
Previous Image | Next Image
Description: I have attached  a few photos of my current project which is nearing completion. This is a 1cm to 1ft model of the “Lambton Hall” a paddle tug based on the Tyne paddle tug “Eppleton Hall” which is currently in the San Francisco Maritime Museum.

I first became aware of the “Eppleton Hall” when, in 2004 we were driving from Canada to Mexico down the west coast of the USA. Her history is quite interesting in that she was already at the breakers yard in 1969 when a Director of the San Francisco Maritime Museum and the Editor of San Francisco’s largest Newspaper were unable to acquire the “PT Reliant” from Seaham Harbour Board because she had been promised to the British Maritime Museum at Greenwich. So they bought the “Eppie” instead – virtually did a rebuild and sailed her under her own steam to San Francisco where she is to this day. (I believe that some years after her acquisition the “PT Reliant” was broken up anyway – very sad).

The  “Eppleton Hall” is I believe not only the one but last operating Tyne tug but almost certainly the last Steam driven paddle steamer to cross the Atlantic under her own power.

Why the “Lambton Hall” (fictitious) rather than the “Eppleton Hall”. When the project was started the only plans I could trace were in a book by Scott Newhall (the newspaper editor referred to above) and a set on the internet which were to my knowledge inaccurate in several respects.

So “Lambton Hall” because Eppie’s original owners were the Lambton Colliery and I have always liked the legend of the Lambton Worm – hence the Lambton coat of arms and the Lambton Worm on her paddle boxes. (and the Lambton Colliery colours on the funnel)  

There was an article on the “Eppie” in Model Engineer August 1970 which is highly critical of her original construction stating “I can only conclude that Eppleton Hall was a cheap job……”.  Cheap job or not she outlived most of her generation and crossed the Atlantic.

Jacob

Picture Stats:
Views: 1970
Filesize: 98.5kB
Height: 556 Width: 750
Posted by: Guest March 12, 2011, 01:37:06 AM

Rating: This picture has not been rated yet.
Image Linking Codes
BB Code

Comments